Darkest of Times | Teen Ink

Darkest of Times

June 7, 2011
By SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio
SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio
51 articles 0 photos 132 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Backpack, gimme another beer!" --Nate Bell


The winter of 2006 was the darkest time of my life. I am sixteen and in 10th grade at Wood Creek High in Pine Falls, Colorado.
2006 was my Freshman year in High School and it was the worst year of my life. Snow had begun to fall in September that year and it was shaping up to be the coldest winter in a long time. It was a Tuesday, the first day of my Freshman year. I was in second period when I got a text that read: “Your parents have both had heart attacks. I will be waiting for you when you return home.”
I started freaking out. I walked frantically to the School’s office and I showed the Secretary the text. They got me out of school immediately and sent someone with me to check out my house. The house was very clean…a little too clean. The adult I was with told me to wait in the car and I did as I was told. Five minutes later, I heard four gunshots and I tensed up.
A killer was in my house. I quickly ran and hid in a closet. I heard footsteps outside the door get louder and then softer. He had walked right by the closet? I stayed quiet as I heard him rummaging through our safe keepings box.
“Kyle?” I heard a voice say.

I held my breath, he knew my name. I heard footsteps outside the closet and I moved behind the coats. The door opened and I felt a hand touch my face. I bit the man’s finger and he quickly removed it.
“I just want to see you Kyle.”

I kept quiet. The man’s hand grabbed me and pulled me out. He punched me hard in the stomach and I blacked out. Two hours later, I awoke to my deceased parents faces looking at me. Their bodies were pale and blue. I could not move. It was a month later that I died from lack of food and water. My killer was never found.