Deceiving Looks | Teen Ink

Deceiving Looks

November 18, 2011
By Cicichildress GOLD, Bono, Arkansas
Cicichildress GOLD, Bono, Arkansas
12 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift thats why its called the present.


Tears continued to stream down my face as the police car pulled away. I could see the back of Kyle’s head and shivered at the thought of once thinking he was normal. Beating footsteps ran toward us and I turned to see my parents. How can I tell them what I’ve done? I thought. I hugged Clare’s body to me and headed to the car with my parents, wanting to put this night, no wanting to put the last two weeks out of my head.
Two months earlier
Beep-beep! I flew to my computer desk and opened my laptop. Requested video chat from Kyle, accept? My heart started beating faster as I tiptoed out in the hall to make sure nobody was there. I could hear the oven beeping so I shut my door and locked it. I hurriedly made sure my hair looked okay in the mirror, before clicking the accept button. A handsome face filled my screen.

“Hey Chloe, I was wondering if you remembered that we scheduled this talk.” Kyle said a dimple popping up as he smiled that crooked smile at me.

My heart fluttered, “Well I almost forgot but I’m glad we get to talk for a while at least. I think we have about ten to fifteen minutes until my mom calls for dinner.” I sighed as I recalled the last time we were almost caught talking when mom walked in to check if I had my homework done. “So what you been up to?” I asked trying to start a conversation so I wouldn’t get nervous like last time we chatted. I had meet Kyle in a chat room two weeks ago. He appeared to be normal as I scanned his profile, never mind the four year age difference.

“I’ve been thinking Chloe, maybe we should meet for a lunch date or something. I’ve been dying to actually meet you in person.” Kyle responded, throwing me off guard. Meeting in person? I started to feel a little uneasy. What if he doesn’t like me or what if he is a midget? My mind rambled before I remembered,

“Kyle, I have to go, I was supposed to pick up my little sister from the ballet studio!” I said in a rushed sentence. Kyle smiled. Then his face disappeared. He didn’t say goodbye! I thought before shutting down. How weird! He always says goodbye. I didn’t even give him an answer about our lunch date. I grabbed my keys and headed to get Clare.

I pulled into the parking lot and went in the building to sign her out. As I passed the lobby the receptionist said, “I didn’t know you had a brother Chloe. He was really nice when he came to sign out your sister.”

“Brother?” I questioned. “What brother?” I asked. Kim probably got me confused with somebody else.

“Kyle, he just came and signed Clare out about five minutes ago.” Kim told me looking confused as I felt. My heart jumped up into my throat as I realized the situation. I ran out into the parking lot and seen a gray car pulling out, Clare’s face smashed against the window tear-stained.

Police sirens could be heard pulling up. They surrounded Kyle’s car and he stopped. A police told him to get out of the car and not to touch the little girl. I ran to the car and pulled Clare out tears already rolling down my cheeks. “Thank God you are okay!” I said through the sobs that racked my body.

“I called the police like mommy said to if there was a stranger.” Clare said as I started to ask how the police knew. “I ask to go to the bathroom and called mommy.” I then knew that my sister was smart and respected her. I then realized the dangers talked about on TV, the dangers of online dating.


The author's comments:
I have never dated online but I had a friend who was kidnapped we found her but she is still traumatized.