Uncle Who? | Teen Ink

Uncle Who?

June 4, 2013
By Elizabeth...W BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Elizabeth...W BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
-The internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesnt understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.
-Find ways to preserve rather then to destroy, for all life is precious nor can any be replaced.


The day started off much the same way as any other busy New York morning. Sally was up by 5 and on the treadmill by 5:30; walked her chubby poodle in the park; showered, and sitting down to breakfast by 7. It was at the breakfast table that she noticed that the book on her coffee table was not in the spot that she had left it. Sally had been very tired the night before and thought that perhaps she just forgot to put her book in its normal spot. She headed toward the bathroom to brush her teeth and she had the strangest feeling come over her. A feeling as though someone was watching her. As she glance toward the 4th story window, realizing her curtains were closed, she began to think how silly she was to imagine such things and started again toward the bathroom to brush her teeth.
With the uneasiness still weighing heavily on her mind Sally headed out the door to the subway. The air was cold and Sally could see her breath as she tightened her scarf and tucked it into the collar of her coat. All the way to the subway she glanced behind her, unable to shake the feeling she was being followed. Nervously taking her seat, she began profiling the other riders. Was the little old man behind the newspaper a serial killer? Could the good looking young guy be a thief? Perhaps the middle age woman was a pick-pocket and made her living off the unsuspecting subway riders. Then she noticed a balding, fat man staring at her. Her heart sank and she began to feel faint. Cold sweat rolled from her forehead. It felt like an eternity before the subway came to her stop. She quickly leapt out of her seat and sprinted toward the first exit. She ran the 2 blocks to her office building and, panting, sank into her chair behind the desk. Immediately a coworker came to check on her. Sally simply stated she thought she was going to be late so she ran all the way from the subway stop to work. She was too embarrassed to tell her coworker she had scared herself silly. Perhaps she had just over reacted.
All day Sally nervously watched the elevator door, jumping every time it would “ding” and open. She tried to calm herself, but was not able too. Finding herself unable to concentrate on her work she told her boss that she wasn’t feeling well and was leaving for the day.
Instead of the subway, Sally felt it would be better to take a cab. After a few minutes of trying, a bright yellow cab pulled over. She eagerly opened the door and hopped in the back seat and spouted out her address without looking up. She began digging through her purse to make sure she had cash for the fare. She noticed the speed of the cab rapidly increasing and she looked up to tell him she wasn’t in a hurry. As the balding fat man’s eyes glared back at her from the rear view mirror, Sally froze.
It was cold and dark. Sally could hear water running in the distance as she began to wake up. Her hands were bound to the arms of the chair she was sitting in. She felt dizzy and nauseated and had no idea where she was or how she got there. Suddenly, from the shadows, a pale figure appeared, but despite her desperate situation, she felt an eerie peace come over her. The figure approached her and with its long, cold, bony fingers the figure reached out, touched her, and simply said, “Help me”. Sally fainted.
The alarm clock was blaring its usual annoying tone as Sally reached over to hit the snooze. As she looked around the room she thought about the chilling dream she had had. She passed through the living room toward her treadmill and noticed her book was not in its correct place. She ran from her apartment screaming.

Sally is now residing in the psych ward at the state hospital in Brooklyn where she sits and stares out the window for hours on end. She has not spoken a word since she was admitted. Occasionally she is visited by a balding fat man that claims to be her only living relative. She trembles at the sight of him.