The Mob Daughter's Birthday | Teen Ink

The Mob Daughter's Birthday

By xxWindingRoadxx BRONZE, Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
xxWindingRoadxx BRONZE, Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania

"We are afraid to care to much for fear the other person doesn't care at all." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Kyoko Applegate was to turn 18 on the fifteenth of April. She had been anticipating this date for several years, for this meant she could escape her tortourous past as the daughter of a mob kingpin and live a normal female life. The dark-haired young woman had been guarenteed her freedom when she hit the mark of 18. Many would have relished the time spent with their fathers and would be sad to cut them loose, but not Kyoko. For many monthes he had endlessly abused her, showing disdain at her choice to abandon the mob lifestyle. How could she not leave? With the hitmen shwoing up drunk every night, trying to get in her bed, and with the many innocent lives she had been forced to take hanging over her head, the teenager was more then happy to escape.

Kyoko spent hours writing out thousands of invitations to the many people her father had wanted her to invite. Only one of the girl's friends could come: yet another punishment from her tyrannical dad. Linh Jeffrey was now her only remaining acquaintance. The two had been planning this moment for monthes on end, as her friend was also ready to be set free. 

Next was the set-up. Countless ballons were placed upon the ceiling, streamers strung up the walls, and signs eclaring who's brithday it was. Kyoko scrubbed the entire house until it was sparkling and prepared an excellent dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, and applesauce. Dessert was a homely apple pie. She placed an elegant red cloth on the lengthy dining table and placed the utensils in the exact spots. Seating arrangements were made, and the guest list was set. 

At last the day had arrived. April fifteenth, her cherished birthday. The lithe female curled her re=aven locks so that they sprialed down her back gracefully and enhanced her already-stunning features with makeup to envy that of a movie star's. Kyoko slipped on a gorgeous velvet dress that was the perfect shade of emereld green. To complete the look, she fastened a simple gold necklace bearing a brass feather around her neck. The item itself was a gift her mother had given her a few nights before she had tragically passed away at the hand of her father's drunken rage. Floating down the winding staircase, the guests gasped in shock at how beautfiul the now-adult looked.

Only one person in the room was upset by the daughter's appearence, and he refused to compliment her or wish her a happy brithday. The unhappy man fumed as she delicately opened gifts and eventually brought out the dinner. Red wine was served in silver goblets that were a gift of a family-friend. Everything was going so perfectly...

Kyoko took a sip of the dark liquid, irises alight with a joy that could only be described as victorious. Everyone chattered amiably as they nibbled on the main course. Suddenly, the birthday girl began to choke and sputter, eyes widening with shock. The audience fell silent as she proceeded to hurl, puking up blood and eventually collapsing on the gleamng white tile that was now stained with a rosy fluid.

"A toast," her father smirked triumphantly "to the birthday girl."

I hope you all enjoy this story! I know it's not exactly a pleasant tale, but I couldn't help making this idea come to life! Until next time xx