The Other Side 2 | Teen Ink

The Other Side 2

By fcagonzalez BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
fcagonzalez BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I know I wasn’t going crazy. I put the book away in the drawer. I was sure of it. My brother was gone the whole day, so it couldn’t have been him.  I called for my mom, and, right away, I could hear her footsteps rushing over to my room.
I asked if she had taken the book out of my drawer, and she told me she hadn’t been in my room.
“Maybe it’s a ghost,” she joked with a warm, teasing smile on her face. She turned the lights off and closed the door behind her.
Maybe it was a ghost. Something wasn’t adding up correctly. I brushed it off and decided to go to sleep.
As I was drifting to sleep, I was startled by someone whispering into my ear. I sat up, looked around, and noticed that the book was on my bed next to me on my left side. I looked up towards the other side of the bed, and I saw a shadowy, tall figure. It was as if it was transparent, but it wasn’t. In a way, it reminded me of my dad. I rubbed my eyes and assured myself it wasn’t a dream. The figure was definitely there. Only, this time, I could make out what it was. It was, in fact, my dad. He looked at peace, he looked happy.
“Dad? It was you wasn’t it? I knew you were trying to reach out to me.” Part of me was excited to be able to see him, but the fact that he was dead didn’t really make me comfortable.
“There’s a message highlighted in the book. I have to go before they realize i'm gone.” They, I don’t know who they is, but I didn’t ask questions because I was too focused on the fact that my dead father was in front of me.
“I miss you dad.” I was in tears causing the words to barely make it out of my mouth.
“I miss you too.”  As soon as he said that, he disappeared into a bright light that seemed to look like a portal going to another side. I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to see him again, but I was glad he came to me. As he passed through to the other side, a wind blew as the portal started disappearing, and the pages of the book flew open and landed on a page where words were highlighted and it seemed to create a message.
They want you. BE careful.
-Dad
    “Get up you’re gonna be late!” my mom’s voice called from my door. Same tone as always.
    “It’s Monday! You don’t want to be late for school.”
    I groaned and wished there was an extra day to the weekend. I started attending school again only last week, and I feel like it could be the end of the year. I usually enjoy going to school, but, lately, ever since my dad passed, everyone has been asking if I am ok, or they just ignore me. Honestly, I wish everyone could just treat me the same as they used to.
    I finally made my way out the front door and began to walk to my bus stop. It was cold and foggy outside. As I approached my bus stop I could see everyone who usually gets on at this bus stop. Except this time there was someone that stood out. I hadn’t seen her before, so I guessed that she was new. She wasn’t short nor too tall, and she had long, dark brown hair. I couldn’t see her eyes because she was looking down. Her clothes were torn up, and she wasn’t even carrying a backpack.
    The bus came, and I got on the bus and sat down. I looked outside through the window and saw the girl still standing outside, but this time she was staring at me. I looked away and started listening to my music.
I got to school and I made my way to my locker. The bell for home room rang, and the halls cleared out fairly quickly. Before going to my home room I decided to get a drink.  As I started making my way to homeroom,I could see the same girl from my bus stop at the end of the hall. I pretended that I couldn't see her and went into the classroom.
It was now towards the end of the day. I was in English class and I forgot my poetry paper at my locker. I asked my English teacher if I could go get it and she said yes.
I quickly made my way down the hall to make a right turn. As I turned the corner I saw the girl. I made eye contact with her, and I knew she knew that I saw her, so me being the nice person I am, I said hi. I walked away following my path to my locker.
I opened my locker and grabbed my poetry paper, which was on the top shelf. I closed my locker and put the lock on it. I turned around and I was startled by the same girl.
“You can see me!” she said.
“Yeah, you’re kinda hard to miss when all you do is follow me. I have to go back to class if you don’t mind,” I replied annoyed and slightly angry, and began to walk away from the girl.
“No, you don’t understand. I’m not living,” she said almost yelling across the hall to  me.
I slowly turned around, and she was right in front of me.
“What do you mean you’re not living? You’re right here.”
“Touch my hand.” Trusting the girl, I went to touch her hand, except I didn’t. It was air. It was like she was transparent, but I could still see her.
“I’m from the other side. I died about a month ago, and I need your help.” As soon as she finished saying this the bell rang and students along with bunch of other people that I have never seen, came through the walls, and some just appeared. They were all different people; some had cuts and bruises. One woman had a hole on her forehead which looked like she was shot. They were all staring at me and to be honest I was scared.
The worst part of it all is that I didn’t know who was living or dead.