Melrose for Danny | Teen Ink

Melrose for Danny

Community Service are two words most high schoolers do not like to hear. In order to graduate, forty eight hours of service are required. Most community service jobs are boring and involve cleaning or visiting the elderly. I never thought that my views on community service would change, until this walk….
This past month I participated in the Jimmy Fund Walk on Sunday, September 16, 2007. I walked as a part of a team called Melrose for Danny. We were walking for Danny, a student at Melrose High School who is battling cancer. The walk was an all day affair. The walk started at Boston College and was five miles long. There were thousands of people there; all supporting family and friends of all ages with cancer. This walk was very emotional; seeing all the pictures of patients and family members made you tear up and truly appreciate a healthy body. Knowing that cancer is a serious topic and is life changing, I was happy to see the numerous sponsors. At the end of the walk, there were medals and free giveaways. Dominos, Sunsilk, D’Angelos, and others donated food and products to all the people who participated. In conclusion, community service is an important aspect in a teenager’s life. Not only do you give back to the community, you also learn from them as they help build your character. I know that this Jimmy Fund Walk has permanently changed my life.