Running to Recovery | Teen Ink

Running to Recovery

By noahfisher3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
noahfisher3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"Anything less than your best is the sacrifice of gift."-Steve Prefontaine

Jennifer S. wrote the article “Running to Recovery.” I felt inspired by her journey to get back to full running again by all the hard work she put in. My eighth grade year, I went on to be the Ohio Division III State Cross Country Champion. I knew there were greater accomplishments but I still needed to improve greatly. I quit basketball that winter so I could train all throughout the winter. Just as track came around, I was running forty miles in 6 days, while taken the other day of the week off. Once track season began I added the last day and began running forty-five mile weeks. Still at the age of thirteen, my body could not handle all of the miles and began falling apart. Sonly, I couldn’t train with the seniors I loved and couldn’t finish my track season. We came around to cross country season and my body still wasn’t ready. “I had physical therapy twice a week” just like Jennifer. It made me stronger and healthier too, and I was able to make a return for districts. I finished eighth overall and helped the team jumped three spots from the projections and qualify for regionals. “I was determined to do the sport I loved.”