Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

Living in a lake community I see the importance of keeping the lakeside clean. Not only is the lakeside beautiful to look at when it is clean but it is also important for the wildlife. After this cold hard winter a lot of trash has accumulated on the shoreline. The debris from yards can clog the sewer drains and end up in our lakes. The most important concern is our wildlife. Our waterfowl and fish are the most affected by the trash and other debris on the shoreline. Both waterfowl and fish can mistake trash for food, they can get sick or maybe even die. The other concern is the beauty that we see in our lakes. You don’t want to visit a lake and have trash bobbing up or piles of garbage on the shoreline would you?
My service project would be to clean the lake and the shoreline. I want to protect the wildlife of our lake and restore it’s natural beauty. I would like to organize a group of volunteers to help clean the lakeside. Not only would this be good for the environment, it would also be a fun filled community event where people work together. This is a project that people of all ages and ability levels could participate in. It would take everyone working together to accomplish the goal and everyone would benefit from the hard work.