A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

dude said...
i feel so sorry for you. i hope for the best

The_Math_Guy BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

Justice is blind, but sometimes too blind.

The way you write through tragedy is admirable. Keep writing, and keep hoping.

Gumballlover BRONZE, Homer, New York

"The things that may come may not be beautiful, they may not be perfect. But they're for you. HAVE FAITH"

Wow. That's really sad. I hope for a miracle as well. I'm so sorry

clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania

"You can't help others, if you yourself need help" -my sister ;) love it!

i'm so sorry that you have been deprived of your own father.  you and your family (along with your father) will be and stay in my prayers.  you're not alone out here.  i can't say that i can relate, but there are people out here that have got your back. :)  hold on tight to your sisters and your mother.  i don't even have to tell you to not take them for granted, becuase I'm sure that you don't.  be strong, God bless

VarsityRider said...
VarsityRider, Milledgeville, Georgia

"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice." - W. Shakespeare.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." - Confucius

I thought this was nonfiction?

irishlass317 said...
irishlass317, Jefferson City, Missouri

"I asked Jesus 'How much do you love me?' He answered 'This much.' And He streched out His arms and died."

Oh my goodness. This is so amazing. Good luck to you, your family, and your dad. I will be praying for you guys!!

HannahLaRen SILVER, Atchison, Kansas

The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.

Amazing story, I honestly couldn't take my eyes off the words. I know how you feel, It does suck. But i will pray for you, and ur family. Good luck. and keep writing! Great job!(:

pens-are-mightier-than-swords SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"we often put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down"
~Author Unknown

Well written! Such a sad story. I will keep you in my prayers!

Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
When you grow up, write a memoir and then mail it to me. No questions asked.

Lexie96 GOLD said...
Lexie96 GOLD, Havana, Illinois

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge, oh don't you know the kingdom's under siege, and everbody needs you. - The Killers

This is pretty good, and you are very strong to be able to hold your belief of your dad's innocence even through all these years. Good work and good luck, check out my work sometime?

ms.nerdalicious GOLD, Orlando, Florida

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
— Maya Angelou

I really admire your courage. It must have taken a lot to write this. But I've gotta say, you are very talented! 

Regs_the_Shorty GOLD, Frankfort, Illinois

There are people who finish what they start and.....

Agree'd and she did a great job of writing it too

jasont727 PLATINUM, Calabasas, California

If there was no change, there would be no butterflies.

This is incredible. You are so strong for writing this and for living the life that you lead. It will get better one day.

MMorton said...
MMorton, N/A, North Carolina
My father should be in prison, but he is not. I know the unjustust you feel from another angle.

Olivia.297 BRONZE, Orillia, Other

Ever notice how you never see me and superman at the same time?

Wow I know exactly how you feel. I have an uncle who I haven't seen since I was eight, six years. He is in for the same reason, but was under influence. Having him in jail really changed my opinion about drunk driving and such things because of what happened to him.

on Sep. 30 2011 at 9:52 am
Victoria.S BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

"Someday you will look back and know exactly why it had to happen."

Wow this is heartbreaking... Yet so strong. I didnt want it to end... keep writing! Your very talented.

WriterGeek<3 said...
Heartbreaking but hopeful. Good luck. I admire your strength.

chiron96 said...
on Sep. 4 2011 at 4:47 am
count me in

Bambi67 SILVER said...
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

love it keept writing and good luck.. check out my work!! thank

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I totally agree.