A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

Namita said...
Namita, Thane, Other

I'm Sugar n Spice & Everything nice.......before you Mess wid Me... yOu ßest Think twice!!!

I am about to cry T_T

Hope the end of this story would be good as it happenes with good people .Good luck I really pray that everything would be fine with u ^_^

Thunderfirst said...
Wow. I'm with Abigail_W...I almost forgot it's true. 2023? That really stinks. Then again I guess "stinks" is an understatement.

Remember there is a reason for this. Know that you are being prayed for.

okayzz_77 said...
OMG!!!

This is one of the most touching stories i have ever read

it seriuosly made me cry :'(

i wish the bestes luck with u and ur family

Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
Oh my God. I literally clasped my hand to my mouth and gasped at the end. I wish the best of luck for your family, and that really sucks. I almost forgot for a minute this was non-fiction. Great job!

SkaterGurl17 GOLD, Jasper, Georgia
good work..good luck with your family..never give up hope :-)

i'll pray for ya..

MAMMAz said...
WACK STORY ITS BOOTSY....

Kupcake GOLD said...
Kupcake GOLD, Jefferson, Wisconsin
I love your piece. I feel your hurt. I am sorry about your dad. Its not fair. Life isnt. And it sucks. Im really sorry for you and your family.

readingredhead33 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

life sucks. then you die.

good job.

millz SILVER said...
millz SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
Wow. very beautiful and powerful piece. It is sad when families have to suffer so much. Good work! (btw i will pray for yall too)

babybunny DIAMOND, Hickory, North Carolina

"there are no friends or enemies in this life; just selfish desires based on instincts and self lustings."

very good! it made me very sad to read this and i hope things will one day be right for you and your family. the main thing thats wrong with our justice system is they often convict innocents and no one knows whos innocent or guilty.

firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
very very powerful. i feel for you.

wow that is great almost like the one i wrot about my cousin who killed him self cus of drugs i literaly cried as i was reading great peom really great thanks for sharing

xanadu123 said...
xanadu123, San Francisco, California
wow very good yes very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good!!!

daisydee123 SILVER, Gotham City, Illinois
wow this is really good very touching and very sad. life is not fair its nnot fair foor your family to suffer for somthing you didnt even do.