A Family in Prison | Teen Ink

A Family in Prison MAG

I was five when I watched my dad get led out of a courtroom in handcuffs and shackles. There were so many people moving around, I wasn’t sure what was really happening. One thing I did see very clearly and will never forget was the tear rolling down his cheek. That was the first time I had ever seen him cry. Almost 11 years have passed and I still remember that day perfectly. That was the last time I saw my dad outside prison.

Being young, only in kindergarten, I was frightened by this terrifying place. Surrounded by barbed wire and razor fences, I thought it was a horror house. That first visit was just the first of many times I’d go through the process of being frisked and walking through metal detectors.

That first time my family and I stepped into a large room filled with dozens of men wearing blue uniforms, I wondered if the other inmates’ loved ones felt the way we did. The convicts looked almost like clones – until I saw my dad. He looked much thinner and really frail. My mom started crying, and he came over and hugged her.

It felt so surreal, like I was dreaming. Now I can hardly remember my dad without his uniform. Some mornings I wake up and, for a split second, forget he’s not home anymore. Then it hurts even worse when I remember where he is and that my mom and I will never have him back.

It hurts to think of all the special memories my dad didn’t share with us. All the birthday parties and family vacations he missed. It’s one of the worst feelings in the world for a girl to know that her father won’t be there to walk her down the aisle.

While my sisters, mom, and I are out living life, Dad is in that horrific place every minute of his life, only getting to see his family one day a week. My mother and I feel so much pain not having him with us, but I can’t begin to imagine his pain and suffering every day in there.

We continue to hope for a miracle. My dad will be eligible for parole in 2023. We continue to pray that an innocent man will be freed from his life sentence for a murder he did not commit.

smith said...
I am so srry for u and your family. that remined me of my bestfriend mom being in jail. she was so upset and every night she cry and i allways had to be the one to confort her. so i know what u are going through its hard. especially when u didn't see him for 11 years. my friend  mother was in jail for 2years.  i hope that some miracle happen for your father. i am really srry for u truly.

manda315 SILVER, Voorhees, New Jersey

Piglet:"How do you spell love?"
Pooh:"You can't spell love. You feel it."

Awww I feel really srry for u. MY dad left me when I was 5 yrs. old too. I couldn't understand then but now I do. I will never forget that day just you cant forget that day either.

cheetoz45680 DIAMOND, Bridgeport, Connecticut

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

wow thats sad. I can understand you a little. My dad has never been with me in any occasion like christmas and family vacations either. He didnt even call on my birthday. I havn't seen him for months now. It hurts me to think that it'll be like that the rest of my life. So thats why I kind of understand. But my dad isnt in prison. He just chose girl over family. Im sorry for your dad. I really am.

KissMeDeadly said...
KissMeDeadly, Laredo, Texas

"Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace."
— Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar)

I can totally understand how you feel. My father is also in prison for life. I find it brave that you can go see him. Because i ont he contrary can't face him. Because your dad i innocent, and my father never was. I hope that a miracle happens and your dad gets released, and i really like your story, it makes me feel so many things, and it makes me realize so many things that may dad might be feeling. Keep up your good writing!!

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

This reminds me of this article that i heard on NPR about a innocent guy put in jail. The story was so weird. Anyway, I hope justice for your dad. That must be hard. I hope, anonymous, that justice comes to your dad. 

Is that honestly all you got out of this? This story is not about whether or not her father commited the murder. It was simply to express the way she felt, which she did a great job of. She explained the life of not having one parent for a reason other than what most expect.

jennywalsh24 SILVER, Woodbridge, Virginia

"Hope is alive as long as the sun exists." -Me

That must be terrible for a little girl to see her dad go to jail at such a young age! I am soo sorry for your loss. I could never imagine my dad not being here. Iwill pray for you and your dad's freedom. Good luck. Keep hope alive!  

dakotalynn BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

you write such pretty words to bad life's no story book

i cant imagine what your going thorugh, im so sorry to hear about your dad and your situation. i hope things get better really soon, no one should have to go through what your going through. im really sorry :(

dippydoo said...
no dip baby sherlock.

yoyoyoyoyiy said...
he totally did it

Julie S. said...
My dad is very important to me too and I would not be able through a day without him either. So I understand the feelings you are expressing.

RandyA. GOLD said...
RandyA. GOLD, Bergenfield, New Jersey

What goes up must come down

The good thing that makes your dad happy is.. you are safe with ur mom. i know the pain you are going through but be strong and positive. Your dad will be fine...

da writer said...
you and your family are really brave...stay strong, i hope you and your dad get united soon...your in my prayers :)

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

Everyone! Here is to all those innocents who are in prison! May they one day be free and the true murderers and rapists be locked away for ever

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I know exactly how you feel. But remember all the positives: you can still see him, you know where he is, and he's probably happy that you are safe with your mom.

I'll be hoping for you. Best of luck.

liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
I don't normally comment.. but this caught me off guard. Very well written.

xxbloodyroses66 SILVER, Huntsville, Texas

"Ever feel like life's a play, and you're the only one who didn't get a script?"

He WILL get out. truth will prevail. continue praying and hoping. you will be heard. stay strong.

aeadams73 said...
I just read a piece on a man who was in prison for 11 years before he was let out and found not guilty for crime he also did not commit, never give up hope. I believe that you should work with what you can and try to catch the man who really did it. Best of luck to you and your family. God Bless

jovis said...
OMG this is the saddest short story i have ever heard!!:(

LastChapter said...
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

this is the saddest piece i've ever read. i am so sorry.