It's All About Money | Teen Ink

It's All About Money MAG

Gambling is a disease, not a temptation. This is the common feeling about gambling among non-gamblers. I feel differently. I have gambled since fifth grade. The main reason I began was the need for more money. When you reach 11 or 12, there are so many things you need money for. Over the next three years I constantly won my bets. When I won, I felt I could not lose. The older and more experienced I became with gambling, the more I wagered. I transformed from a baseball card gambler to a compulsive black jack player. The more I won, the more I bet. The more I lost, the more I bet. Any chance I had to make money or to hustle somebody, I took the opportunity. I am happy to say that I have toned down my addiction somewhat because of parental pressure and wanting to "Do the right thing" but I still make an occasional bet or two.

In my life, gambling is hurtful in several ways. For one, it causes friction between me and the people with whom I gamble, usually my friends. Gambling also stays on my conscience, because deep inside I know it is wrong.

Gambling is also in great opportunity. I can get gambling cards from high school kids and, in turn, place bets with bookies. These cards are a big temptation. There are also thousands of "bookie" numbers you can call. And the thing is, these "Sports Advisors" are almost always right. They go, at the worst, 7-4 against the number for a week in football games. These lines only charge ten dollars too. After you obtain this knowledge you can wager as much as they want with their bookie. I have never used one of these lines but if they were not 1-900 numbers, you bet I would. The problem with these numbers is that they show up on the phone bill and my parents would be irate. The temptation is still unbearable. c