Actor - Kristen Stewart | Teen Ink

Actor - Kristen Stewart MAG

At 16, Kristen Stewart is not afraid of intense roles, including Jodie Foster's daughter in “Panic Room,” the protagonist in “Speak,” and a troubled teen in “The Messengers.” This month, “In the Land of Women” opens with Kristen playing a teen dealing with high school, peer pressure, and a difficult relationship with her mother. The film also stars Meg Ryan and Adam Brody.

In “In the Land of Women,” you are a painter, but what are your real-life hobbies?

I read a lot of books, and I'm a writer. That's what I'm mainly into. I just love putting the words together. I'm really in love with words. I play guitar; I love going to shows. I'm kind of a homebody.

What is your favorite book?

I actually have two. I just finished Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, which was really intense. The other is The Stranger by Albert Camus, that was heavy.

You've worked with Jodie Foster and now Meg Ryan. How were those experiences?

So different. I was little when I worked with Jodie, so I wasn't taking notes. Just being around someone like that for months when you're so young and such a sponge ... she probably affected the way I work.

Jodie doesn't take things too seriously, she just acts. I mean, of course, she thinks about it, but Meg takes things very seriously - in the best way. You can tell she really cares about her work a lot, and that's really important.

In terms of acting styles, was it very different working with Meg, Adam and Makenzie Vega?

They were all so different. Working with Adam and Makenzie was a lot of fun, but my scenes with Meg were intense. There was a lot of tension between us, a lot of distance. I liked working with her; I felt we were both very satisfied with what came out. After a scene with Meg it was like, “Oh, we nailed it.”

What is your relationship with your mother like? Will your new movie help mothers and daughters better understand each other?

I'm really lucky, because I have a picture-perfect relationship with my parents. But I definitely see my friends in Lucy and her mom's relationship, I feel like that dynamic is very typical. This movie will open people's eyes.

How do you choose roles?

It's always different. The movies I've been interested in have been because of the prospect of working with the filmmaker and a certain director. Sometimes I'll do a movie because there are one or two scenes I really want to do, something that's different. I think it's important to do movies that are worth watching, something that makes you think.

If you weren't acting, what would you do?

I would want to write screenplays. But, if I had to have a practical job, if acting fell through, I couldn't imagine working anywhere but on a movie set. I would want to work in props or the art department.

What advice would you give others interested in acting?

If there is anything you really want to do, you have to give it a shot. Otherwise you're going to hold onto it forever and just regret it. You should have no regret.

People always ask actors for advice and it's like wow, you're asking us? I don't know how enlightening we can be. We're just people.

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

So I'm confused...are these real interviews? Like, did a teen ink member really interview this person and post it here or what?

i find it interesting how you play a dramatic role at 16 wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not good in twilight ha

I actually love her in twilight but i think the plot in adventure land(nothing to do with her acting. Plus this artical has nothing to do with either. I enjoyed the interveiw. It gives us a veiw of how she see's the world. She is real and isn't 100% self absorbed like some actors and actoresses.

Honestly, I don't believe that Stewart is a good actress. She nailed it in Speak, but only because Melinda is so depressed and quiet. I really want to see one movie where she doesn't act as if she's dead, which is how she's been typecasted. Good actors have the ability to, if needed, be perfect even if they have a completely different role ever time.

dramakat said...
dramakat, Newton, Massachusetts
This was a really good article.  I think she's a great actress, very real.  Also, stop posting all these Twilight hate comments, this article has nothing to do with twilight, and you're causing all this drama over something that was never even mentioned.  Keep your opinions to yourself on this one!

meee said...
She is good in twilight,too. I think breaking dawn will be the best. ;)

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

I agree completely. I hated Bella's character and I think Kristen could have done a much better job. She was so akward and hesitant in everything she did. But in her other movies she was really good.

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

This interview was from (around) two years before twilight came out. It makes sense that there wouldn't be any questions about a movie that hadn't been made yet.

wordweaver96 PLATINUM, Winchester, Kentucky

" It is not our abilities but our choices that show who we truly are. "
Albus Dumbledore

See, we really DON'T have anything to fear but fear itself!

No offense, but I just wondered, why did you read this if you don't like her?

WriterGirl33 PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

It is better to not speak and let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

well I think that Kristen Stewart is a good actress, but I also think it is kinda ridiculous how people worship actresses. I am really into acting and hope to act in major films eventually, but these people who have never met the actor and yet scream I love you and try to give them their emal... that's is retarded... do you really think actors want to talk to fans who are just gonna praise them all day!!!... that's just my opinion.

awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

This is a really well composed interview, and ya, it's refreshign that no questiosn were asked regarding Twilight. Also, I felt like I learned a lot from reading this, whic is great when you can come away from reading something like, "Oh, cool." Props to you.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

When she did the Twilight series, her character was very twitchy and annoying. I don't think that's her acting style, though. In Panic Room she did a great job.....what was she like in her other movies?Lol.

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

lol. thank-you.(:

HippieNamedAnna PLATINUM, Kansas City, Missouri

Let It Be-The Beatles
Music is the only thing that makes sense any more-Me
Make love, not war-a bunch of people
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I have five fingers, The middle one's for you-Me :)

guys! u just ruined it! stop talking about twilight! thats one of the best things about this article! ITS NOT ON TWILIGHT!

foreverwelsh BRONZE, Cardiff, Other

"Thin, like butter over too much bread" JRR Tolkien

I luv the fact that this wasnt about twilight

really good article!

I.Am.Me. SILVER, White Plains, New York
Um, she says she likes to pick good roles and movies that make people think? Um, TWILIGHT? Adventureland...... Mhmm sure man. I kinda dislike her a lot. I find her annoying and pompus.

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

I completely agree with both of you. but If you read the article, it wasn't really about Twilight, it was about Kristen's acting experiences. I agree that she's an outstanding actor for her age and she tries her best to be just like the Bella everyone expects her to be in the movies.

mazzizzle11 BRONZE, Wood Dale, Illinois

Dance like there's nobody watching
Love like you'll never get hurt
Sing like there's nobody listening

Kristen cannot play bella she is horrible at it she does not know how to act the part and her nothing outburst actor performance ruins the movie 

EccePuellaScriptis112, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Love - it is not the book itself, but the binding. It can rip us apart or hold us together.”
-Deb Caletti

I love her! She's the one of the few celebrities who I think both looks and acts like a real person.

emilystar_bellacullen, Kolkata, Other

GIVE ME PEN AND PAPER AND I FEAR NO MAN

i DON'T THINK KRISTEN REALLY FITS INTO BELLA,SOMEHOW.rOB'S WAY VAMPISH AND HE'S MY FAVOURITE ACTOR.(I HAVE TO BEAR ROB-ADDICT INSULTS FROM MY MATES.)

BUT ROB CAN'T BE EDWARD.I MEAN,EDWARD'S SOMETHING ELSE.TWILIGHT'S MY FAVOURITE BOOK AND I JUST THINK IT CAN'T BE FILMED