Mr Walker | Teen Ink

Mr Walker

March 22, 2016
By bryannagarvey BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
bryannagarvey BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Throughout my current and last semester at DMA, I have encountered some really great teachers who have taught me a lot. Out of all of the teachers that I have had, I think it is appropriate to say Mr. Walker was the best and by far one of my favorites. I really enjoy going to Mr. Walker’s class, and I rarely ever get bored. Even when we are copying down notes, he still manages to make the class interesting. I think Mr. Walker deserves the ‘Educator of the Year’ award for a number of reasons. He is just overall a really good teacher, and I can not think of anyone more eligible to receive this award than him.
          What I like the most about Mr. Walker’s class is that he never makes it boring. He teaches us about current events and things that might actually affect us instead of making civics class all about the past and our history. Whenever we learn about new things, he makes sure he explains everything well enough so that everyone can understand and everyone can get the ‘full effect’. I never really enjoyed history, geography, or civics until now. I now appreciate and understand all of those subjects. I understand how they have impacted my life, because of Mr. Walker’s class.
    Civics has never been an easy topic for me, but now that I am in Mr. Walker’s class, I really understand everything that I am learning about, not only because he explains it all well, but because whenever I have a question, he answers it to his full ability. If I ever do not understand something, I always feel comfortable asking a question because the environment in his classroom is very welcoming and non judgmental. Ask anyone, and they will probably tell you the same. Mr. Walker does a great job making sure everyone understands the material before moving on, and I think that is really important in order to have a good, productive class.
    Mr. Walker always tries his best to be in a good mood, and I think that is what his students admire most about him. No matter what the class may be doing, he always stays positive and keeps his attitude good which makes us keep our attitudes good. If you have ever had a teacher with a bad attitude, you know  that it was not a good experience, and you did not receive the full effect of the class like you were supposed to. Mr. Walker has one of the most upbeat, exciting attitudes that I have seen in a teacher. If it was not for Mr. Walker, I would not enjoy, and be interested in civics class as much as I do and am.
    In conclusion, I think having Mr. Walker as a teacher while I am a freshman, made my first experience in high school very good, and I could not imagine a better way to start it off. I hope that I encounter more teachers like Mr. Walker throughout high school as I continue to move along. I will use everything that he has taught me, not just for the rest of my time in school, but for the rest of my life. I can not think of anyone more eligible for the Educator of the Year award than Mr. Walker.