How To Draw | Teen Ink

How To Draw

February 12, 2024
By Anonymous

Brittain Wittig is currently a senior high school student from Wisconsin. The cartoon Adventure Time sparked her creativity in drawing. She has enjoyed drawing since she was ten years old and has decided to pursue art in her future career. 

Our favorite cartoon characters and animation films all started with a person's drawings like the Genie from Aladdin or Olaf in the movie Frozen. Drawing can relax our mind and bring out our creativity. Anyone can draw and improve with patience and a positive perspective.
If you have always wanted to draw, start now. There’s no need to wait.“Grab a pencil and a piece of paper and you’re ready,” says Wittig. If you want to learn more skills, technique, or find inspiration, YouTube has great tutorials. Wittig recommends Marc Brunet Art. This is a great channel to find follow along art tutorials. Another way to improve your art skills is to join an art class near you or at school if in person learning suits you best. 

When we start something new it can be easy to gravitate towards something that is relevant or popular. According to Wittig, “Draw what you want, not what you think you should.” It’s important to not limit your creativity. Instead, drawing what interests you can feel freeing. There is less room for comparison since you create something from your own mind. For example, if you like to draw flowers you can bring in your interests and make it your own by changing the shape or color of the leaves. 

For those who love perfection this is a time to just let yourself make mistakes and learn. “It can be easy to mess up and see it as a negative experience but it’s all about a positive perspective and your willingness to go back and correct,” says Wittig. It’s okay to retrace your steps and grab an eraser to fix a mistake in your drawing. 

We can all improve and learn more with time when we approach situations with an open mind. Drawing can be an activity to help calm the mind from a chaotic day or be used as a pastime activity. Today Wittig continues to learn more about drawing everyday. No matter where you start and how long you draw for, there is always room to learn more.


The author's comments:

I decided to write a How To piece for drawing. I interviewed a classmate who enjoys to draw and has been drawing for a long time. I selected information that would help my piece get straight to the point along with some background information about the person that I interviewed.