Interview with Telecommunications Software Engineer Seeni G. | Teen Ink

Interview with Telecommunications Software Engineer Seeni G.

Telecommunication software engineers help our daily lives more than you may think. They are the reason we are able to talk to our friends on phones and keep in touch with each other. Without them, modern-day communication would not be possible. To understand more about this interesting field I interviewed my dad, who’s employed in this field of work.

Question: What exactly does being a “telecommunications software engineer” mean you do?

Answer: I design and implement call processing functionality such as toll free calls in a digital telephone exchange.

Question: What kind of training/education is required to successfully do this job?

Answer: Background in electronics, communication engineering and software programming and testing. A master degree is required in one or more of these fields.

Question: What project(s) are you working on right now?

Answer: I am working on a project that allows you to make calls over the internet with many business features such as call-forwarding, etc.

Question: What is the base salary for your job title?

Answer: Over $100, 000

Question: Do you enjoy your job? Why or why not?

Answer: Yes, because that is what I studied for and dreamt of working on in the field of telecommunications while I was in college. It has also paid me really well.

Question: Did you want to be this as a child? Why?

Answer: Yes, because I was really curious about electronics, physics and communications as a child.

Question: Do you see yourself doing this job in 5-7 years? Why?

Answer: Yes, if my company still survives outsourcing. I need to make money right?

Question: Do you feel your job is important to society? Why?

Answer: Yes, because we make things that help people communicate using modern and cheaper technologies which keep people in touch with their relatives and friends. It also helps businesses to reduce cost and make more profit.

Telecommunications software engineers make our lives easier every day, help businesses grow and keep us connected with the ones we love. Without them to make our lives so much easier, the world would be a much different place.