Something to Believe In | Teen Ink

Something to Believe In

February 11, 2009
By Anonymous

I am outside Sara's room and I decide to just let myself in because her door is never locked. Her room was dark as usual with only a lamp on. I trip over a large pile of dirty laundry that is just spread out across her pink fuzzy carpet. She didn't even acknowledge the fact that I walked into the room. Her mind was lost in her PSP playing Grand Theft Auto. I sat down on her bed. She didn't even look at me. Her long blond hair was pulled back into a pony tail and she was wearing her beloved brown Medieval Times zip up.
She lost the game and finally looked up at me,
'What do you want?' She said in a half kidding, half serious voice.
She didn't wait for me to answer as she turned on her stomach and motioned me to scratch her back.
'I'll only scratch your back if you answer four questions for me' I said.
'Fine.' She whined.
'Okay, why did you first become a vegetarian?' I asked. She looked confused like this was the first time someone has asked her this question.
'What? Why can't you just interview Taylor about surfing or something?' She screamed.
'Just answer the question Sara' I told her.
'I don't know, my parents are and I didn't like what they were doing to the poor animals.' Her answer was bland.
'So you don't eat any type of animal?' I asked.
'No, I just don't eat meat or poultry.' She giggled for no reason.
'Okay, next question. Is it hard for you to find substitute foods when say, the lunch is, tacos?'
'Nope. I have frozen veggie burgers in my freezer.' She announced proudly and started to get up to prove that they were there. I motioned to her that it was okay and I believed her.
I asked my last question. 'Do you think your kids will be vegetarians?'
'I don't care. They can do whatever they want.' She said as she got up and left the room.

Sara I, a senior in high school and a soon to be college student could talk for hours about Oreo cookies but when I asked her about something she actually believes in she won't even give me the time of day. I sat there on her bed for a minute thinking; maybe I should have interviewed someone else. Then I thought again, no this is great.