Time for Track | Teen Ink

Time for Track

October 4, 2013
By s.strow BRONZE, LeRoy, Michigan
s.strow BRONZE, LeRoy, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Keeping a steady pace as I warmed up for my race was crucial.

Not too fast, not too slow.

Warming up for my next race. Elevated nerves, raised heartbeat, and adrenaline. Why me? Why had my coach chosen me to fill in for this difficult race? But before I could even answer myself, they were already calling third call for the 4x4 Meter Relay.

Taking my place as the second runner, I heard the gun go off, then the sudden grunt and heavy footsteps as the girls took off from their blocks. I spotted the green and white Pine River jersey from across the track slowly go from third to second to first. My stomach was in knots. I had never run this race before. I saw the girls line up as they came around the last turn, and I started cheering, “Come on, let’s go! PUSH IT!” That’s when my adrenaline kicked in. As I was handed the shiny green baton, I took off on a 400-meter sprint.

I didn’t know a pace, or where the girls were located behind me. I kept telling myself to just stay focused, look forward, and run. RUN! That’s what I did. I felt on top of the world as I rounded the third turn. I had heard that this race is the hardest and that you died at the end, but I had no idea what was in store for me. My legs started to feel like Jell-o because I had never trained them for this race. I heard the frenzied screams and shouts of my team cheering me on, giving me the confidence that I could indeed finish this race.

I knew there was no giving up. Mentally, I was there, but physically, I was as stuck as glue on a child’s fingers. I pushed and strived for my legs to move faster, but they just wouldn’t. I felt like I wasn’t moving, even though I knew I was. I also knew I had a bit of a lead already, so I looked behind me and saw one girl right on my heels the last 50 meters.

Even though my legs were weak, I still felt stronger than ever.

We handed off the batons to our next teammate, and congratulated each other for keeping up the fight. I had gotten so many words of encouragement and good jobs that I was overwhelmed. It felt absolutely amazing to impress everyone like that. I had to sit down, even though I knew I shouldn’t after running a difficult race. I walked towards the center of the field, feeling like I was about to throw up and starting to feel like I was already getting a little thing called “booty lock.” In a daze, my coach put one arm around me and exclaimed, “Man! That was impressive!” That race was tough, but I loved the way I felt all throughout it, and I knew that it was my race.

“I loved it,” I said with a tired, heavy breath as I put my warm-ups back on and changed my shoes.

I truly loved the feeling of my legs on fire after I ran. I loved seeing my time drop every next race I ran. Every time I saw the seemingly never ending track in front of me, it brought me great joy. What I love most about the 400-meter race is that it’s a great challenge, and something that I knew I had the potential to be really good at. I learned you have to sprint it – fast! It takes great stamina and endurance to be able to make it all the way. The race will absolutely drain your legs if you don’t train for it. I love everything about this race, and I cannot wait for this track season to come around. Like a little kid waiting to open gifts on Christmas, I get the feeling of excitement when I get to run this race. I want to end my senior year next year with a bang, and I would love to run in college. I know I need to work hard this year and next year to achieve my track goals.


The author's comments:
I'm super excited for this year's indoor and outdoor track to come around!!