The True Definition of a Horse | Teen Ink

The True Definition of a Horse

By Margo6733 BRONZE, Mariposa, California
Margo6733 BRONZE, Mariposa, California

A horse, according to the Merriam-Webster definition, is “ a large solid-hoofed herbivorous ungulate mammal (Equus caballus, family Equidae, the horse family) domesticated since prehistoric times and used as a beast of burden, a draft animal, or for riding” and nothing more than that. However,there is no single definition for a horse or one way a horse can be considered essential to people. Horses have always been more than just beasts  of burden, draft animals, or the surface on which people ride.

The definition of horses today does not even come close to achieving the accurate definition of what a horse truly is, partly because there is no single definition.Just like eggs serve several different purposes, so do horses. They have survived and thrived through various cultures, providing fun and assistance for all kinds of people: workers, citizens looking for transportation, or anyone looking for a leisurely or adventurous experience. The diversity of ways in which horses can be utilized demonstrates their importance. Whether they are used for sport/entertainment, work, or therapy, they prove to be very beneficial to people everywhere. Since early times, the practical use of horses has been prevalent, and our culture has been partially shaped by these creatures.

Throughout history horses have shown their loyalty to humans as more than just “pets” or “work animals”. In wars, many horses died riding in to raging gun fire simply because that is what they were commanded and expected to do. In the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War, horses largely affected the outcome; they made it easier to transport information, materials, and weary soldiers. The first horse race occurred in the 1600’s,  meaning that they have been providing wholesome entertainment (and making gamblers restless) for a very long time. Since then, several establishments have been providing the use of horses to those who are disabled, helping people improve their conditions. Horses are hope for many; workers, soldiers, fun seekers,lonely or disabled people, etc.

Although it is uncertain as to exactly when these animals became so useful to us as a society, we can assume that we would not be where we are today without them. They have served to inspire us:the first automobile came after years of riding in horse-drawn buggies, preceded by riding directly on the horses. The term “horsepower”- a measurement of unit of power(the rate at which work is done)originates from the comparison of steam engine power with the power of horse. The number of uses for horseshoes-a shoe for a horse formed of a narrow band of iron in the form of an extended circular arc and secured to the hoof with nails- almost reaches that of horses themselves. The tossing off horseshoes around a pole has become a popular game, as well as the use of horseshoes in designs and artwork. Horseshoes are also a symbol of good fortune.

Although a dictionary may consider a horse as just a  large, solid footed animal that eats plants, the true meaning of a horse can not be narrowed down to such an objective view. The many daily uses of horses exhibit this claim. The depth of history that they affect illustrates their significance to our culture, as well as many others. The many meanings that we derive from these animals shows how they have impacted society for a long time.