A mother's essence | Teen Ink

A mother's essence

Who could have guessed that the most prominent, and most honorable cure was free?

‘’ I love you’’, ‘’I love you too, mom’’. A conversation shared between my mom and I, before entering my second grade classroom. This conversation would repeat itself all the way to my 11th grade year. Difference is, close to my 7th grade year .. My response changed. My ‘’I love you too mom’’ over time, grew fainter and fainter.. quieter .. and quieter, meaningless and more meaningless. It wasn’t something she did. To be quite honest she did everything right! And it hurt me to hurt her, though I couldn’t quite interpret the feelings I felt.

As a younger child, all I wanted to do was be under my mom. I hated every second she was away and it showed in the tears that fell down my face, being apart from her. Dinner was eaten at our kitchen table. And only there. And I loved it, because I was eating with my mom. We prayed before every meal. Together. We prayed before bed every night. Together. And we even went to bed together. Perhaps, that is the problem. For Patrick Payton did say, ‘’ a family that prays together, stays together’’. I don’t remember the last time my mom and I shared a prayer, or shared anything at that. Could that be our missing steppingstone? Is this distance our consequence?

I create the distance. I get home, and without a greeting, I go straight to my room and close my door. My mom is in no way to be blamed. She still tries hard to break down my wall, though she gets the cold shoulder. ‘’ hey, um.. Kaitlyn?’’ ‘’yeah, mom?’’ ‘’I’m here if you need me. If you want to talk; anything. Ok?’’ ‘’thanks, mom’’ * mom proceeds to close door* ‘’ Hey, Kait, I love you’’, my mom says ‘’ you too, mom’’. I drop my eyes down to my computer, continuing to do my assignments for school, when in a blink of an eye almost, my mom runs to me and gives me a big hug. I can feel her wet tears on my ear and side of my face. I sit there numb, not really knowing what to do. At the same time understanding what she was doing. She exits the room very briefly. As soon as she closes my door, I drop to my knees and begin to weep as well. For I did not know that is what I was yearning for, that was what I needed, that was the cure! For God knew what he was doing. He knew how to do it, and he knew I would find true love again, and this time for good.

So yeah, a hug. On the outside looking in, a mother hugging her child. Though it really was, a praying, faithful mother consoling her lost daughter. For that’s the best cure! the one healing source that demolished depression, and still does. A mother’s faith, God’s reassurance,  A Mother’s Essence.

This is a representation of the beauty of a mother and daughters' relationship.