Dear Future Self | Teen Ink

Dear Future Self

January 20, 2022
By Anonymous

Dear future self,

Keep on going. There will continue to be hard times in your life. The only way to get past them is to go face them head on. You may just want to distract yourself from life around you, get yourself down, watch tv or sleep- those all can be done but the more you distract yourself from what the main problem is, the less you can improve as a person. Take the time needed to truly feel every emotion. The sooner you feel the emotions, the sooner you will heal. In those hard times don't forget to cherish the happy moments. Those will stand out more than you think. 

Look for the little things. Don't take life for granted. Those talks you have with mom may not seem enjoyable, but one day you will wish you spent more time at the table talking to her. The times spent driving with friends, making cookies with your nephew, playing games with your brothers; enjoy it, take it all in, look at the smiling faces, hear those laughs. Hold on to those moments.

Go after your dreams and stay true to your faith. The trials and tribulation you have gone through in your life only set you up for success. Picture you dream and take each step day by day to get to that goal. Go to school, go to the police academy. Work your way up, then work harder. Picture your family and teach you kids what you have learned. Don't stop, keep going. 

Life won't be easy. At 16 you have learned that more than most people. Take it day by day. Don't worry too much, rely on your faith, cherish the little moments and reach for your goals.