Playing with Ice | Teen Ink

Playing with Ice

March 24, 2011
By Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."


The definition of ice is no surprise: water frozen in the solid state. There is not a person in the world who doesn’t know it.

All my life, even before I came to understand who I am, why I’m here, what my future will bring; all that time, I played with ice. Some part of me immediately knew that it would be safe. Go into the hot sun and it melts. Put it in water and it cools it down. Choke on it and it dissipates in a second.

Therefore, it has always been my favorite toy.

As a perfectionist, it’s all I can do to be perfect. This should have given me everything I’ve ever envisioned, but that hasn’t been the case. Practice makes perfect, they say. But how, if nobody is perfect? Even the ice, for all its smoothness and flawlessness. Sixteen years has shown me that.

If only my brain can grasp it.

When I was in kindergarten, I had one best friend. We’re still friends today, even though we attend different schools, even though our most common form of communication is facebook. I was shy as a child, quieter than all the other kids. My mother was the one who invited my classmates to my parties. I never tried to have more than one friend.

In my next school, I didn’t talk. I’ll never know the reason for that. Was it because I was too shy? Was it because that girl in my class pulled my hair and made me cry, embarrassing me into silence? Was it because I was just a loner by nature? Was it because I was scared?

If I were given a chance to go back in time, I’d want to know the reason, because I’m sure it had nothing to do with the reason I’m quiet now.

Here’s for some thoughts: I hate it when people assume I’m quiet because I’m shy. Alright, granted, it’s what I’ve told people before, but that premature time was before I came to truly understand who I am.

I first reached teenhood thinking I had some kind of social dysfunction, only this hypothesis got overrun by the fact that I had an easy time making conversation at home, with family members, with adults… When a young child is old enough to be left alone in the mall, that child is expected to be able to survive.

I was given this chance, though the mall was a school, a new school, where I could be whoever I wanted to be. And I messed it up.

Last summer, I went to camp. A strange fact occurred to me by the end of those two weeks: By then, I’d been at my school for four years, trudging through the halls in a daze, books in my heavy backpack, eyes analyzing everything in my path, with only a scant few I could call my friends. That was the consequence of my mistakes in sixth grade. In two weeks of camp, I had made thirteen new friends. Thirteen.

Perhaps, for most, this number is small, miniscule to the large groups they hang out with. So I do have a large group of friends I sit with at lunch. And I do say hi to several people as I walk pass them on the way to class. But did I connect with them as I did with those in camp? Not every one of them.

In such a large body of students, I sometimes feel like I haven’t found my place, that I’m an outsider, simply given a glimpse of what my life could have been like had I snagged the chances at friends in sixth grade.

If only I hadn’t been so used to solitude. Maybe then, I would start to take charge. Maybe then, I would stop being so analytical of the people around me and just let myself get to know them. Maybe then, I wouldn’t be scared.

Someone once asked me what my biggest fear is. I said spiders. That was a lie. In my years, I’ve come to realize a certain pattern in my way of living, even though it’s subtle. It does, however, have a reason: I fear disappointment.

If someone doesn’t live up to my expectations, I normally turn the other way. This is the reason so little people know me, and that’s because they don’t understand.

And I don’t blame anyone for not trying, because I don’t try either, and I hate myself for it.

I like taking risks: rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, roller coasters, etc. This should make me outgoing; it should give me a balance with others my age, like the fact that I am content with my life, but I want more, gives me a balance with others, even if, honestly, I’m not like others.

More than a few have described me as the powdery snow that falls on the coldest of winter days, never willing to melt, never bringing warmth to those who are made icicles in my presence. Am I the ice princess?

I can be.

Because, where others play with fire, I play with ice.

And when I play with ice, I don’t get burned.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 65 comments.


on Nov. 21 2014 at 10:50 pm
Firdaus Muntazar, Makassar, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
It seems like you are Elsa..

on May. 1 2014 at 12:32 pm
Blizzard BRONZE, Reed Point, Montana
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with a few and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence." -George Washington

Wow.... awesome article... I like knowing I'm not the only one with a life like this!! 

on Sep. 9 2013 at 10:25 am
The_Silent_Dog, Henderson, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad”-Theodore Roosevelt

....Wow I never thought that someone could have a life so similar to mine...wow.

on May. 23 2013 at 7:09 pm
RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
7 articles 0 photos 290 comments

Favorite Quote:
All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

This is almost completely me in such a short story! I think that it was amazing how you started out with just a normal description and ended it with  a metaphor for your life! It takes lots of skills in writing to pull of an auto-biographical story in a good way but you nailed it!   

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 4 2012 at 6:11 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota
57 articles 0 photos 301 comments

Favorite Quote:
Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

This is really good. As the other commenters have indicated, it's obviously relatable, and well-written, so I should commend you for that. I really liked this. If you could check out one of my stories, particularly Buried Secrets or Sparks? Thanks! You're a really good writer.

on Oct. 27 2011 at 2:50 pm
ThePhoenixRising BRONZE, Macomb, Michigan
4 articles 3 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
—Albert Einstein
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
—Albert Einstein
I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
—Bill Cosby
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)
—Unknown Author
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
—Pablo Picasso

Wow! What a clever way to use a metaphor ice with your life.

:)


on Oct. 23 2011 at 9:21 am
Sarajustine BRONZE, Massapequa, New York
1 article 0 photos 35 comments
This is really good! I love the whole concept and the narrator is really easy to relate to. Good job! :)

on Oct. 2 2011 at 2:09 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Thank you! And I checked out your story :)

on Sep. 28 2011 at 9:33 am
Arya4Eragon PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Arkansas
20 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Without life there is still faith, but without faith there is no life." -SJB

I love the concept.  Really good.  Can you check out my short story If Only?

on Sep. 24 2011 at 8:41 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Thanks :)      

Little-Miss said...
on Sep. 24 2011 at 12:11 pm
Hey, this is pretty good! I liked it! :)

on Sep. 23 2011 at 7:53 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Thank you so much!:)

on Sep. 23 2011 at 4:15 pm
CookieMonsterAttacks SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I called you a lady, 'cause you're fat!" ~ Gracie G.

You're a really good writer. Keep Writing!

on Sep. 11 2011 at 4:48 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this! I was kind of aiming for that :))

kat_b. BRONZE said...
on Sep. 11 2011 at 1:32 am
kat_b. BRONZE, Hurt, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boy: I <3 you
*girl sneezes*
Girl: I'm sorry... I'm allergic to b.s.

Oh  my gosh!! I loved this! i could totally relate through the entire thing! and those last two lines "Because, where others play with fire, I play with ice. And when I play with ice, I don't get burned" made me stop annd rethink my attidude and outlook(?) on life!   

on Sep. 10 2011 at 9:31 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Thank you so much for that :))

Fallyn BRONZE said...
on Sep. 10 2011 at 12:21 pm
Fallyn BRONZE, Rohnert Park, California
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments
Wonderful :] It was strong throughout, and I could totally relate. It was interesting. Didn't see anything wrong with any of it, I loved it! Definately worth the read :] Keep on writing, because you obviously have a talent. 

on Sep. 8 2011 at 11:51 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I'm so glad you like this! Thanks :)

on Sep. 8 2011 at 4:19 pm
Saphirra BRONZE, Auburn, Pennsylvania
4 articles 13 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Falling is just like flying except there’s a more permanent destination.” -Some person on Tumblr

Wow! You have a talent :D  I love the way you transitioned to when you were in kindergarten! The last two lines sound really familier but with a nice twist. Keep it up! :D

on Sep. 8 2011 at 7:42 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Thank you so much :))