Feels Like Home to me. | Teen Ink

Feels Like Home to me.

January 6, 2013
By Maddie Dileonardo BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Maddie Dileonardo BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Fantastic I can already feel the dark clouds raised above me.” I was thinking.

It was the most important baseball game of the state championship and of course it started storming as soon as the game started. It was so windy outside, everyone was falling!
“Can we get out of here?” cried some teenage girl.
I was trying my best to listen to what the girl was saying but, I was distracted by the dirt on the ground blasting into my face.
“Not something I ever wanted to taste!” I mumbled to myself, spitting out the dirt onto the pavement.
I was still listening to what the girl was saying while running to my parents trying to figure out where to go.
“Mom, stop what you’re doing right this second and get me out of here now!” screamed the girl.
“Hold on Jessica, have some patience!” Snapped back Jessica’s mom.
“If you don’t want to be here why did you come here in the first place,” I thought. “You’re just another one of those selfish brats who don’t know how to appreciate anything anyone does for you.”
I wasn’t in the mood to hear Jessica snap at her mom all day. I finally spotted my parents across the field. I ran over all the wet dirt that was splashing all over my pants and grabbed them.
“Mom and dad let’s go!” I yelled, “Turn on the car please, I’m freezing!”

My mom grabbed her keys out of her soaking wet purse and turned on the car. After we all got in the car, we were waiting for the umps to let us know what was happening. I could tell that everyone was cold because all I heard was the seats shaking and teeth chattering. My dad grabbed an umbrella out of the back seat and opened the door slightly,

“Hey blue!” my dad roared, “What’s going on with the game?”

“I hate to say, but we have to wait twenty minutes every time it thunders!”

“Ugh!” my dad sighed, “Alright thanks blue.”
My dad slammed the door shut and closed the umbrella flinging water everywhere in the car!

“Sorry Maddie I didn’t mean to!”

“Don’t worry about it, it didn’t do anything. I’m already soaked anyway!” I thought to myself.
My pants were dripping, my shirt was drenched, and my shoes were now black and water squeezed out of them every single time I took a step.
“Boom!” I heard outside.

It thundered again, but I wasn’t surprised at all. Every five minutes I heard the same sound over and over, well at least it seemed like. I was being smashed against the wall by my cousin. I was about to scream at the top of my lungs, I couldn’t take it anymore!

“Okay guys, I need space can we please situate ourselves better or something?”

“Everyone look!” My cousin shouted into my ear,
“Everyone's about to run to Burger King!”

The wind was pushing the door shut so I grabbed my jacket and forced it open with all my strength. Finally, I opened the door and my umbrella. I turned around and saw everyone under the concessions.

“Okay everyone, we’re going to run to Burger King!” Yelled my brother Joey's coach.
We all grabbed what we had and took off. Burger King was across the street, but it seemed like forever to get there!
“Hey Joey!” hollered his coach, “I bet you’re not faster than me!”
Joey accepted the challenge and started sprinting. Mud was flying everywhere! About halfway there I heard someone slip, it was Jessica. I didn’t feel bad at all. She got what she deserved.
“Hahaha karma.” I mumbled to myself.
Jessica walked up to her mom almost touching faces with her hands on her hips.
“Mom grab me some new clothes now!”
Her mom gave Jessica a dirty look back and Jessica acted like she was in charge of her mother. Jessica screamed at her mom until her dad made her stop.
“Jessica grow up, we’ll get you your clothes after the delay!” snapped Jessica’s dad.
As soon as the team got to Burger King we all huddled at one table trying to get warm. Everyone ordered hot chocolate and chugged about four of them. Eventually we all got warm. We all waited patiently for the umps to let us know what was happening that day.
“Games back on!” Shouted the umpire.
“Yes finally I’ve been waiting for this game all day!” I was thinking.
“Maddie and Annalisa go grab the blankets out of the truck please!” asked my dad.
Annalisa and I were both sprinting to the car. We were almost there when I tripped. After I face planted into the ground Annalisa stumbled over my muddy back and tumbled to the ground.
“Click Click.”
I figured out the car unlocked when my face was on its way to the ground. I got up after ten minutes and grabbed the keys. Annalisa grabbed the only dry thing in the car, the blankets and brought it to the drenched space next to the field.
“Maddie, I’m not sure if you know this, but you have dirt in every possible place it could be.” Giggled my mom.
“I think I noticed mom, thanks though.”
After an hour of slipping and falling on our butts the game finally started! The team stood in the stands screaming cheers all day.
“G-DOUBLE O-D-E-Y-E GOOD EYE!” hollered one of the parents.
The crowd was all muddy, but we still pumped up the team.
Joey’s team was falling behind in the first half of the game. Finally, after screaming at the top of our lungs the team caught up.
“Come on Western!” Screamed Annalisa, “Keep it up!”
Western was so close to losing, but they stepped up their game. The team won the game!
“Yeah!" Screamed the coach with the biggest smile on his face, “Regionals, here we come!
The crowd was jumping up and down and cheering! The coach was crying and the best part was it was his birthday that day.
“Honestly, this is the best birthday present anyone could ever wish for!” Bawled the coach.
We all sprinted onto the sopping wet field, splashing water in our faces, and burying ourselves in mud. Everyone dived into a group hug and cheered.
“This isn’t just a team anymore, it’s family.” I thought.

This was the best experience I could ever wish for. I met new people and made new friends. I became closer to the team and learned things about them I never knew before. I didn’t want to leave the field at all. I was going to miss the baseball games, the team dinners, the races, and most importantly the people who went on the trip.

“See you all in two weeks for Regionals.” laughed the coach, “You’re not off the hook yet boys.”


The author's comments:
I would never regret going on the trip. I also would not take anything back that happened. Every little thing that happened brought the team closer.