The Drums Called | Teen Ink

The Drums Called

October 28, 2015
By tray1 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
tray1 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It all started with that one note.  CRASH!  It happened in fifth grade when my family and I went to a drum concert.  I got to play the drums with a professional drummer at the clinic.  Ever since that one drum clinic I have had a dream to play the drums. 


My first day of sixth grade I walked into the band room.  I looked around seeing all the different instruments.  Later on that week I tried playing all the instruments to find which one I was the best at.  It was as loud as a stampede in the band room. 

The following monday Mr. Lacro asked me “Which instrument would you like to play Tray?” 

“Drums please,” I respond eagerly. 

The next day I found out that I made Cadet Band percussion.  For the rest of that year I enjoyed band and kept playing. 


Towards the end of my sixth grade year I found out that I was eligible for Marching and Jazz  band so I kept on working.  At the end of the year I tried out for Marching and Jazz band.


The last day of school I found out I made both Marching and Jazz band I also heard there will be much more work I was excited but also scared.  Over the summer I kept working and got better.  I also got private lessons. 


During my seventh and eighth grade years I was in Marching and Jazz band.  Over the years I have played in many different parades, competition, and performances. Including Disneyland, California Adventure, Sea World, Golf Cart Parade, Festival of Lights, and many others.


Joining band was the best choice I ever made.  I am looking forward to high school band.  Band has changed me as a person.  If you like music then you will like band.