Clothes Should Be Gender Neutral | Teen Ink

Clothes Should Be Gender Neutral

By paigemeep BRONZE, NAPA, California
paigemeep BRONZE, NAPA, California

My belief is that clothes should not be made for one gender. I believe that any gender should be allowed to wear what clothes they want without being judged. I have had people come up to me and say something like, “You need to dress “girly,” Then when I wear a dress, people tell me I look really bad in a dress because they aren’t used to me in one. I have also had people laugh at me because I am wearing basketball shorts, or when I go swimming, I do not wear a bikini or a girl swimsuit. I wear swim shorts and a swim shirt. I mean it’s none of your business. Maybe I’m self-conscious about my body and don’t like showing it off to the whole entire world. When I wear shorts,and they are not short shorts, I get judged because “they are for boys only.” It shouldn't even matter what I wear because I am not you. You do not have to worry about what clothes I put on my body. You can just leave me alone about it and mind your own business.

The reason for me writing this belief is because I do not know many people that get picked on, or laughed at because of their clothes, but I am one of them. When people judge me or others for not dressing as the appropriate gender, it sometimes hurts. I have been bullied a good portion of my life.It got to the point where I almost switched schools, but I never had the courage to tell my parents that I was even getting bullied. I did not want them to get involved.

When people want to just talk me about clothes, it brings back those memories. I hate it when people tell me I need to wear a dress or a skirt every now and then. I don’t like dresses or skirts!! I am always telling people this. I am the type of person who likes to wear basketball shorts, sweats, T-shirts, pants and shorts that go to at least the knee. Otherwise, I am not comfortable and don’t feel like I can act like myself, which is one thing I hate most. One of my favorite things to do is comfortable with people around me, which for me is kind of hard, because I can be shy when I first meet someone.

When someone thinks of the word “tomboy”, I know they have told me that they have thought of me, which sometimes is a compliment, but others times, it's hurtful. It drives me absolutely crazy when people come to me and say I look like a boy, or someone thinks I am a boy just because I wear pants instead of a dress or skirt. Basketball shorts or cargo shorts, instead of short shorts,  the T-shirts I wear instead of the blouse. I don’t really care what people think about how I dress. I just want people to accept me for who I am and not judge me for what I wear. If people want to worry about what someone wears, they should worry about themselves and not me. This I believe.

KyraSapphire said...
KyraSapphire, Fort Worth, Texas
This article is SOOO TRUUUUUUE