A Witness of my Sister's Darkness | Teen Ink

A Witness of my Sister's Darkness

Natalie’s eating disorder made Gary take God seriously. Gary’s older sister, Natalie, developed bulimia at the age of 15. He knew something was wrong with his sister because of the constant fighting between his sister and his mom. The devil was setting up a boxing match to see who would fall in this game. Reminiscing about vacations and laughter showed him how badly he wanted a normal family life. However, after Natalie got out of rehab, he loved her more. Gary had finally got his sister back who loved God and influenced him. Realizing the devil comes to kill, steal, and destroy, Gary saw the devil at work in his family. For example, every time his mom and his sister would be in the same room, they would go at it like a cat and a dog. On the other hand, his dad was like a bunker to Natalie. When something wasn’t going her way she would run to daddy. Aggressively brawling, the devil was exasperating his mom and his sister so that Gary’s family would crumble. This situation was dividing his mom and dad’s relationship. In addition, Natalie’s lying took a huge tole on his family’s life. A myriad of food would be missing and Gary’s parents knew it was her but she wouldn’t admit it. Gradually, he didn’t want to be around his sister. He could sense the evil in Page 2 of 2 Natalie. Increasing thoughts of suicide and depression were whirling in her mind. Through the hardship, God never left. The absence of joy brought Gary sorrow for his sister. Sucking all the attention from his parents like a tick on his skin, resulted in his loneliness. When his mom would find evidence of his sister’s lying, a confrontational explosion would go off and Gary would be a ghost ceasing to exist. Natalie was having a war between being a Barbie doll and being a child of God.

On the contrary, he was striving with isolation and rejection. Throughout the brokenness, family nights were sometimes removed and didn’t always include everyone. Fearing a blow up with Natalie, Gary didn’t want to have his friends over. Essentially the misery of this roller coaster ride was coming to an end. Mercy Ministries, a Christians women rehab center, transformed Natalie into a new creation in Christ. Hanging with his sister was now a pleasure because she focused on others instead of herself. Repentance from his sister’s healthy, humble heart pulled Gary’s family closer. After Natalie’s graduation from rehab, a bonding family vacation transpired. Instead of losing the battle, Gary won the war by his sister’s humility. This incident caused his relationship to grow expediantally since Gary’s eyes were opened to see Him. Philippians 1:6 says, “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” Since Gary’s parents planted the seed of faith in him, this circumstance watered it. Light slaughters the darkness, Jesus makes our enemies flee. For King and Country has a song called “Shoulders” which basically says we can put our hope in God because He doesn’t disappoint.