Key story | Teen Ink

Key story

May 7, 2019
By Domermi, Fairbanks, Alaska
More by this author
Domermi, Fairbanks, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments


 

One morning in June I was on my porch going through the keys on my lanyard, one by one, looking for my house key.  About four keys in, I noticed a small key at my feet. I picked it up to take a closer look, thinking it maybe fell off my lanyard, but to my surprise, I had never seen this key before.  I wondered what it opened and how it got there. I decided to find out after a nap because I had just worked a long morning shift at the golf course. I went inside, placed the strange key on the kitchen counter and went to nap on the sofa.  After my nap, I went about my day working on my online courses, watching tv and relaxing. The next morning on my way out of my house I saw the key was gone. I thought nothing of it, maybe it was my sister’s and she grabbed it. That day, after I got off work, I stopped by the falafel place to eat.  After I got my falafel with no pickles, I sat down to eat there. My phone had died from listening to podcasts at work all day, so I was left with no stimulation, me, myself and I. I started thinking about the key again. What if it was to a long lost treasure, what if it was to nothing and was just decorative?  As I delved deeper and deeper into thought about the key, I was suddenly interrupted. It was my friend Dane, we stopped and ate together for a little bit, then we went our separate ways. I thought maybe he knew what the key was to, then I thought what made me so interested in some dumb little key. I guess that just shows the power of curiosity.  After I got home, I once again noticed the little strange key at my feet, now I thought, this is someone pulling some dumb prank or something. I once again put it on my kitchen counter. Then I went and played Apex Legends on my Xbox. After a while of that, I heard my sister get home, I went downstairs to ask her if the key washers. I picked up the key and said “Hey Ashley is this your key? I keep finding it outside our front door.”  She looked at it and said, “Um I don’t think so, maybe ask mom.” “When does mom get home?” I asked, she started to speak but was interrupted by the dogs barking at the front door opened, it was my mom. She walked into the kitchen where my sister and I were talking. I said, “Hey mom is this yours?” “No, where did you find that?” she said. I told her all about how I kept finding it outside our front door every day. “That’s strange, we will ask your dad when he gets home in two days.”  So I left it there on the kitchen counter as I did the previous day and went about my regular routine. That night I tossed and turned thinking about the key even more than during the day. “What could it possibly be too?” I said to myself. I had to get it off my mind if I wanted to get any sleep, so I walked downstairs to go look at it, but to my surprise, the key was gone. I thought maybe my mom put it in a safe place, so I went upstairs and snuck into her bedroom closet. It wasn’t there either, I thought what if it’s on the porch again. So I walked downstairs and looked outside the front door.  It was there again, “what the hell,” I said to myself, so I opened the door and shut it behind me. At this point I was scared someone had to be messing with me, “I’m armed” I quietly shouted. It got muffled out by the cold strong wind. I picked the key up and looked behind me again, out of fear that I was being watched by whoever kept moving the key. I looked back at the key and I got a weird urge to put it in my front door, nope doesn’t fit. What is up with this stupid key, I started to think about what it was too. If it was just some dumb key, why does it keep magically moving? I stood there in the cool Alaskan breeze in my gym shorts and shirt.  I thought harder and harder, and then a small blurry memory slowly crept into my mind. A small shed in the woods by my house I saw when I was looking for my dog as a kid. I can remember trying to open it but it was locked. “There is no way,” I thought to myself, but something was telling me that that was it. I put my shoes on and started heading into the woods behind my house. There it is, I could see it through the brush in the Alaskan summer twilight. I pushed the brush aside, making my own trail to it as my legs got scratched by the branches and wild thorn bushes. I’m at the door, I looked at the key and back at the locked door to this mysterious little shack.  “Here we go”, I said as I inserted the key, I tried turning it and… it unlocked.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.