The Murder Mystery | Teen Ink

The Murder Mystery

December 2, 2019
By mcdermottb23, Barrington, Rhode Island
More by this author
mcdermottb23, Barrington, Rhode Island
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I wrote about this story because we had to write something for my LA class and this was the first thing that came to my head

It was a cold and dark night in Chicago and George and Pete were out to dinner. The time was 8:45 pm and my feet felt like they were tied to weights from standing on them all day. Pete had lost his job a couple of months ago and had been looking for one for a while now. George always wonders how Pete can afford everything without a job, maybe he had a secret job that he didn't know about. George, on the other hand, works at a retail store and makes minimum wage. George and Pete had been out to dinner together as they do every Friday at a local place in downtown Chicago. As both of them were finishing up their meal Pete looked down from the table to respond to an alert on his phone.

 “I have to go,” Pete said as he rushed out the door. 

Not again George thought. Lately, Pete had been leaving with no reasoning. 

“Is everything ok,” George said 

Pete had no response and ran out of the door. George rushed out the door into the street where he yelled at Pete 

“Where are you going,” the noise was quickly picked up by the brees.

“I have places to be,” Pete yelled.

George had been friends with Pete for a while but every now and then Pete had left randomly with no reasoning but never like this.  George got the check for the dinner and quickly swiped it and followed out the door trying to follow Pete. George looked up and down the street examining it to see which way Pete went. George pulled his coat around him, as his wind whipped at his hair and clothes. A dark figure quickly went around the corner and it caught George’s eye.

“Hey.. hold up Pete,” George yelled as it echoed off the building walls. 

No response was followed. Another figure followed behind Pete and George wondered if he was in danger. George was not dressed for the cold weather since his plan was to stay at the restaurant not run after Pete. 

Pop! The ground rumbled.

George engaged in the noise began to spring around the building down the street to where he thought the noise was coming. 

“It didn’t have to be like this,” Pete said 

He heard Pete and ran to the alley where he heard them coming from. George stood there petrified he couldn't believe what he was seeing. George was looking at Pete standing over a dead body.  George didn't know what to do besides run. 

“Hey, George get back here,” Pete yelled 

George kept on running not believing what just happened. Pete was keeping up with George and caught up to him and tackled George. 

“You're not going to tell anyone what you saw,” Pete demanded

“Ooook,” George said with a stutter

George shoved Pete off of him and ran all the way home where he went right to sleep. He lied in bed awhile with his eyes open. Pete knew he was in trouble and he had to come up with a plan. Pete then began to make his way to the police station. Pete opened the door and went over to the office.

“I found a body,” Pete said acting frightened

“Oh my god where,” The officer reacted 

“In between 3rd and 4th street,” Pete said

“How did you find it,” The officer said

“I was on my way home and heard a gunshot and saw a man I recognized running away,” Pete said with hesitation, and smirk

“You recognized the person?” The officer said 

“Yes,” Pete said

“Who,” The officer said 

“Ummm... George selcon,”

The officer swept away and told some other officers to get over to the crime scene. 

The officers and Pete arrived at the crime scene and Pete ran ahead and grabbed the pistol and stuffed it in his back pocket.

“Right here,” Pete said

“It must be a gunshot there a wound in his chest,” The officer said.

“Where's the weapon, was there one here before Pete,” Another officer said

“No,” Pete said. 

George woke up the next morning to a banging on the door. He got up, put on some clothes and went to the door. He opened and 3 police officers immediately came in. 

“You're under arrest George,” The officer said

“For what?”

“Murder,” The officer stated

The words Murder rung in George’s head and he began to freeze out of unbelief. George was dragged to the police car where he was shoved in. 

“I didn’t kill anybody,” George said aggressively

“Someone turned you in,” The officer said

“Who,” George said 

George was thinking that someone must be mistaken and he was going to get out of it. 

“Pete,” The officer said

Pete echoed in George’s brain. George was in so much disbelief that he couldn’t get the words out of his mouth. When they got to the police station George was escorted into a prison cell where he would stay until his court appearance. George sat down on the bed with a blank face and thoughts rushing through his head. “How did I get stuck in here,” He thought to himself. A couple of hours in an officer came in and said George had a visitor. George questioning who it was told them to come in. Pete came in and George stood there shocked.

“How could you do this to me,” George yelled at Pete

“You were the only one that knew and I couldn’t afford to get put back in the cells,” Pete said

“Tell them it wasn't me now!” George yelled angrily

“Can’t do that,” Pete said with a grin

“Pete don't do this,” George continued to yell

 “Bye, George,” Pete said

“Pete!” George said as the door shut and Pete left. 

“That's the end of the story,” George said

The crowd clapped repetitively. 

George was beginning to leave and someone asked how long ago did this happen. 

“30 years ago,” George said



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.