Trot Trot to Boston | Teen Ink

Trot Trot to Boston

By Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

Disappointed. I must let the disappointment pass. I will laugh and cry again. I will be kind. But missed kindness is a moment that doesn’t come back again. So be kind. That’s the only meaning of life, to love childishly, wildly, madly, and uncontrollably. You have nothing in this life. Just love crayons and wordy novels. Just love it all and love the bitter grass and love the roadside and the beer cans. Love passionately, everything and with all your heart and with no priorities, no agendas. Love freakishly and obsessively. Love, because you can’t love your way out of the lunatic asylum, but it makes it more fun to be a lunatic.
--Me

Summary:

In June of 1830, fifteen-year-old Sarabeth Wheatly loses her father to a pro-slavery mob in the slums of Boston. Her destitute family sends her out to the country to work for an aunt of hers, a tall and terrible woman who beats and abuses Sarabeth. When Sarabeth discovers this aunt has an unthinkable secret, she runs away and starts working to support herself.

Sarabeth wants to be an author, and she gets a piece published in a newspaper--only this piece is about her wicked aunt, and the aunt finds out, and the aunt is determined to kill Sarabeth. She disguises herself and takes off from Boston on a whaling-ship, accompanied by an escaped slave.

What happens next, you'd better read for yourself--no spoilers.

Lydiaq

Trot Trot to Boston