Coffee & Cigarettes | Teen Ink

Coffee & Cigarettes

By CarmonAshley, madisonville, Kentucky
CarmonAshley, Madisonville, Kentucky

When society has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.

I lace up my combat boots and pull on my blue jean shirt, but leave it unbuttoned before I slip the house keys in my pocket of my skinny jeans and leave my dark hair in messy strands. “Miles!” I yell.
He walks in the room with his dark hair messy in his plaid pajama pants, holding the milk carton. “Yeah?” he says.
“First: use a cup.”
He shrugs and takes a swig.
“Whatever. Put a shirt on; I don’t want to see all that. I’m going to get coffee.”
“Okay.”
“Meet me for breakfast in a half hour?”
“Yeah.”
I roll my eyes at my dysfunctional best friend and walk outside to grab my bike. “Lock the door when you leave!” I yell hoping he can hear me.
I park my bike in the metal rack against the brick building before I walk in the ‘Coffee and More’ shop to order a cappuccino. Nothing is better than coffee in the morning and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and has obviously never started their day with it. Once I pay I walk back out to my bike.
I ride down the sidewalk, past one store and slam on my brakes, throwing my bike on the ground to stare into the window of the music store. They have all new band merchandise, ranging from shirts to bumper stickers and I’m dying to spend all my money on it.
Someone chuckles behind me so I swivel around to meet the eyes of the punk, grunge guy, holding a coffee cup in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He takes a puff off his cigarette before throwing it to the ground but it looks barely used, which seems kind of wasteful if you’re going to be stupid enough to spend your money buying it.
I pick up my bike and straddle it, but force myself to stop when the stranger appears right in front of my tire. “I could have hit you,” I yell.
“Coffee?” he asks, paying no mind to the fact I could have run him over.
“What?”
“Can I get you coffee?”
I glance at his coffee cup and then mine in response.
“I didn’t say right now. Tomorrow morning at nine; right across the street.”
“Uh, okay, sure. What’s your name?”
“See you tomorrow, stranger.” He grins and walks away. Why wouldn’t he tell me his name? How does he expect me to meet a total stranger for coffee?

When I walk in Denny’s I spot Miles drooling over his Coke. I slide in the seat and clap my hands in front of his face to snap him out of his trance. “Why are you so sleepy?” I ask.
“Stayed up all night playing video games,” he replies.
“Loser.”
“You’re exceptionally rude this morning. What happened?”
“Nothing.”
“Anne,” he teases with a grin.
“This guy asked me out for coffee in the morning.”
“Name?”
“I don’t know,” I admit, taking a sip of my coffee. The menus are nowhere to be seen so I assume he’s already ordered for the both of us.
“What’s he look like then?” he questions.
“Uh, dark hair, long legs, um…”
“You’re terrible at this.”
“Whatever. He’s hot.”
He rolls his eyes but grins. Our eyes stare at the steaming food that slides in front of us as the waitress gives a perky smile and walks away. Bacon, eggs, sausage, a pancake, and two biscuits with gravy sit on my plate, making me practically drool at the smell and sight.
“So are you going?” Miles asks his mouth full of food.
“Yeah,” I reply.
“You don’t know him. Maybe I should go.”
“I don’t need you coming with me to meet a hot stranger.”
“Stranger is what you need to pay attention to, not hot.”
I throw a piece of bread at him as my response. We eat and walk out; Miles goes to his car and I grab my bike but walk over to his car and stop. “The music store has a lot of new stuff,” I suggest.
He rolls his eyes. “Save your money, you just bought a bunch of C.D’s.”
“Miles,” I whine.
“Get another job.”
“If the smoothie place I do work at wasn’t right across the street from the music store, I wouldn’t have this problem.”
“Then get a different job.”
“Fine,” I grumble.
“See you at home.” He gives a cheeky grin.
“You mean my house.”
“Same thing.” He pulls off, leaving me irritated in the parking lot. Miles likes to pretend he doesn’t live with me when I bring it up, but makes jokes that he does. His parents kicked him out when they found out he wasn’t going to college, so he started staying with me since I live alone. It works out perfectly, because now my best friend lives with me and he helps pay the bills.
Miles is gone most of the day from the time I get home to the time I’m ready for dinner, but he brings in a pizza with a grin, making up for his absence. He tosses the box on the coffee table and turns on a movie and I fall asleep on the couch with my feet in his lap an hour later.

“Be careful and don’t get raped,” Miles warns, still half asleep on the couch.
“I think I’ll be okay. How do I look?” I ask.
He looks me up and down quickly. “Flirty.” He gives a playful smile and curls back up into a ball, going back to sleep.
I catch my reflection and debate whether I should change. This stranger just wants to have coffee, why am I trying to dress to impress? One last look at the plaid shirt hanging a few inches below my waist, unbuttoned of course, with a black tank top underneath and skinny jeans before I’m out the door.
It’s 9:05 A.M. when I park my bike in the familiar metal rack. He doesn’t seem to be here, so I go on in and stand by the door trying not to look too eager.
“Glad you could make it,” he whispers in my ear.
I spin around and almost slam my nose to his. “Yeah.” I take a step back.
“So, what do you drink?” he asks walking to the counter.
“Caramel latte,” I say to the girl behind the cash register.
“Black coffee,” he orders and we walk to the end of the counter to wait.
“Just black?” I question.
“Yeah. I like black coffee.” He shrugs and pays before he grabs his coffee and walks over to a high top table near the big window.
“So, can I ask why you asked me out for coffee?” I ask sliding on the stool with my feet dangling in the air.
“You didn’t have to come.”
“It’s just kind of creepy.”
“On the contraire. Some girls would find that flattering, but I’m guessing you’re not like most girls.” He drinks his coffee and stares out the window into the small city. His eyes are hazel I’ve noticed and his brown hair is tucked away under a black beanie. Only one freckle is visible on his face and it lies on his chin. His ears hold black plugs, but they’re not very big, at least not big enough to be permanent, however it fits his whole ‘punk-rock-grunge’ thing he’s got going on. A pair of black sunglasses hangs off the collar of his shirt to complete his look.
His Beatles shirt is somewhat visible under his army green jacket and I find myself glancing down to his dark combat boots and then realize I’ve never seen anyone more attractive. Sure, guys are hot and handsome, even Miles is really attractive, but this guy is not like the other guys. He reaches a whole new level of good looking, especially with his sense of style being something other than the capital ‘swag’ trademark.
“Hey,” he says waving a hand in front of my face.
Apparently I zoned out while staring at him. “Um, you like The Beatles, I see.”
“Yeah. Do you?”
“Are you kidding? That’s one of my favorite bands.”
“How cliché,” he laughs. “I’ll introduce you to underground bands.”
“Oh, will you now? Maybe I should teach to the definition of cliché, because liking a popular band isn’t it.” I take his shocked expression as satisfaction.
“You’re sassy,” he states.
“Thanks. So, name?”
“You have to earn it.”
“What if I tell you mine?”
“Okay, what’s yours?”
“Anne.”
“Anne,” he says testing it on his tongue. “I like it, but I’m still not telling you mine.” He grins, revealing his dimples and wow, he just gets more attractive.
“Fine. Girlfriend?”
“I don’t date.”
“Why not?” I ask.
“Not worth my time.” So even if I did get to know him, he has no interest in dating, so I guess I should stop trying to dress to impress. “Boyfriend?” he asks.
“Oh, you don’t get to know anything about me.” I grin and hop off the stool. “Thanks for the coffee.” I walk out and grab my bike, walking it down the sidewalk. That didn’t go as planned, but if he has no interest in dating and he won’t even tell me his name, what’s the point in trying to get to know him? For all I care he’s the guy who likes coffee and cigarettes and always will be just that.
Miles is still stretched across the couch when I walk in my house. “How was the date?” he asks flipping through the channels on T.V.
“He has no interest in dating, he won’t tell me his name and wow is he attractive,” I reply and plop down in the floor next to his head, so we’re eye level.
“He seems odd.”
“He’s nice; he’s just snarky I guess you could say.”
He lets out a sigh. “You’re not going to stop until you get him are you?”
“Nope.” I grin at him. “Can we please go to the music store?”
“Fine. Just give me like an hour or so.”
“For what?”
“To awaken.” He makes dramatic hand motions in the air to prove something, but I don’t care enough to figure out what he’s actually doing.
I get Miles up and going within a half hour, which gives me satisfaction, but he grumpily throws pillows at me. “Come on,” I whine.
“I’m coming,” he yells.
I smile and follow him out the door, going to my bike. “I’ll meet you there,” I say as he climbs into his car.
“I know, I know,” he says.
I take off down the sidewalk. The breeze cools me off a lot, which is good because by the time I get to the music store I’ve broken a sweat. Miles is leaning against his car waiting when I lean my bike against the brick wall.
“Glad you could make it,” he says with a grin.
I roll my eyes but I’m too eager to be irritated, so I grab his hand and pull him inside, heading straight to the rock section in the C.D.’s.
“If you don’t calm down you will explode,” he says.
“But Miles, they’ve completely restocked!” I yell. He just chuckles at my excitement, because he’s used to it by now. If anything can turn me into a screaming girly-girl it’s music. “I need to get another poster.” Still holding his hand, I pull him over to the poster section and not only do they have all new posters they have new t-shirts as well. My eyes travel over to the checkout counter and I slap a hand over Miles’ mouth. “That’s him,” I whisper.
He follows my gaze and shoves my hand away. “The coffee guy?”
“Yeah; he works here I guess.” I give a devious grin at Miles and grab a Nirvana shirt, along with a Nickleback C.D. and drag him up to the counter with me.
“Is this it?” he asks.
“Yeah,” I reply.
He reaches for the shirt and meets my stare before breaking into a smile. “Are you stalking me?”
“In your dreams. So, Will huh?” I ask staring at his nametag.
“I guess I’m busted. Yeah, I’m Will.” His jacket is now missing from his outfit, leaving him in only his white Beatles shirt.
“Nice.” I smirk and grab my bag.
Miles pulls out his phone and rolls his eyes. “Hey, I have to go. See you at home. Nice meeting you Will.”
“All right,” I reply and he walks out so I divert my attention back to Will. “So, how long have you worked here?”
“Only two weeks,” he confesses.
“I’ve never seen you in here.”
“Only Monday through Thursday. Did that guy leave you by yourself?”
“His name is Miles and yes. I have my bike.”
“Why don’t you have a car?”
I slink back and feel the blood drain from my cheeks. I promised I would never talk about that again. Only Miles knows why I won’t drive a car and no one else will ever know. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick to my stomach and I stumble backwards, unable to catch my balance.
“Anne?” he says and then he’s behind me, holding me up so I don’t collapse onto the floor.
“Anne, I took your wallet,” Miles says walking in the doors, but when he catches my eyes that are starting to cross he runs over and pulls me to his chest. “What did you do?” he hisses at Will.
“Nothing. She just freaked out,” Will argues.
“Anne?” Miles said with his voice panicky, which makes me panic more.
“I… can’t-breathe,” I choke. Panic attacks have never been gentle with me.
“Take her to the back,” Will says.
Miles picks me up and carries me to the back room where I’m placed onto a tan couch. Their faces are starting to blur together. “Anne? Are you there? Calm down; it’s all right. I’m here.”
The memories of that night flash through my mind and they won’t go away. I can’t calm down and I can’t breathe. I want to scream at him to take me to the hospital or get me some water or something, but I can’t speak.
“She’s having a panic attack,” Will states.
“I know. She’s never been this bad before though.”
Will drops to his knees beside me and takes my hand in his gently, leaning closer to my face. “Anne, have you heard Hey Jude by The Beatles? It’s a brilliant song, but I’m sure you wouldn’t know anything about that, you don’t seem like the type that would know about cliché music,” he rambles softly.
His voice is soothing and I want to listen to him talk for hours beyond hours. The walls stop spinning and they each have their own face again as I come back to reality. Lazily, my head rolls over to face him and I grin. “’Course I have. It’s a classic,” I mumble.
“And she’s back,” Will says.
Miles sighs and runs a hand over his face.
“What happened?” Will questions but neither of us answer. “Never mind. You can stay back here until you feel better. Miles, do you have to go?”
“No, I’ll say,” Miles answers but he seems unsure.
“Miles, whoever texted you, needs you. I’ll be fine,” I say.
He grits his teeth in frustration before he nods. “Watch her,” he snaps at Will and walks out.
Will plops down on the couch and puts my feet in his lap. “Do you want to talk about it?”
“No.”
“Okay.”
“Do you need to get back out there?”
“Eh, Dan’s got it covered for right now.”
“Sorry about that,” I mutter.
“It’s fine.”
I reach for the pack of cigarettes falling out of his pocket and snarl my nose at him. “You’re going to get lung cancer and die.”
“Well aren’t you a pragmatist?” he says sarcastically. “I don’t smoke enough for that to happen. I only smoke once a day with my coffee to get me going.”
“Well, you should still stop.”
“Yeah, yeah.” He grins, flashing his perfect smile and dimples. Before I realize it, I reach over and poke his dimple, getting a flustered look from him in return. “What?” he asks.
“Nothing. Your dimples are cute,” I admit.
“So, you think I’m cute?” he teases.
“You’re okay.” I shrug and stare down at the cigarettes in my hand. Smoking has never appealed to me before and I don’t know why it does now, but if he does it, I want to know why it’s so great. “Give me your lighter.”
“No way.”
“Why not?” I frown.
“You’re not smoking. Ever.”
“Why?”
“You’re just not.”
“Since when are you the boss of me?”
His eyes flash over to me in an instant, but something has changed in them. “Since they’re mine.” He snatches them away and shoves them in his pocket. Even though he seems a little irritated I can’t help but appreciate the fact that his jaw is flexed and his eyes are drawn to slits.
“You’re really attra-” I suck in a breath and look away.
“I’m what?”
“Nothing.”
“No, say it,” he demands.
“Attractive. You’re really attractive,” I blurt out.
His eyes dance and his plump lips smile, but then go back into a straight line almost instantly. “So, you and Miles live together?”
“Yeah.”
“Does he know we went out this morning for coffee?”
“Yeah, why?”
“Well, usually boyfriends get pissed when their girlfriends go out with other guys.”
“How would you know? You don’t date,” I say sassier than I intended. I keep up my snarky attitude and smirk, but all I can think about is how his hair has a few blonde streaks through it and that there’s a small scar on his hand starting from his thumb and curving up to his knuckle, which wouldn’t be very noticeable except the fact that I’m analyzing every detail about this boy.
“I also don’t get jealous, but I know how it works,” he says.
“You don’t get jealous?”
“Why would I? I don’t date.”
“Touché,” I grin. “But, he’s not my boyfriend.”
“But you live together.”
“So? He’s my best friend.”
“Oh. Weird.”
“It’s not weird if you knew why he lived with me.”
“Well, why does he?”
“Because he can.” I roll my eyes and snap my attention to the red head coming in the door wearing a black leather mini skirt.
Her eyelashes are coated in eye liner and mascara, matching well with her bright red hair. She takes her eyebrow ring between her fingers and stares at Will, practically undressing him with her eyes. “Will!” she screeches.
“Oh my god; that’s worse than nails on a chalk board,” I blurt out.
“Sorry, didn’t see you there,” she says.
“Obviously,” I laugh.
“You’re rude.”
“And bitter,” I add still laughing. I catch Will’s warning glare, but ignore it, because what he thinks of me is none of my concern.
“Will, are we still on for tomorrow?” she asks.
My laughter ceases and I just stare at him. So, he’s going out with this girl tomorrow? I don’t even know this guy, so I shouldn’t care, but I do because he made it seem like it’s rare for him to take girls out. So, the “flattering” gesture this morning is just something he does with every girl. Maybe that’s why he doesn’t date; he’s too busy fooling around.
“It’s not like that,” he says flatly looking at me out of the corner of his eye.
“I don’t care,” I admit. And I don’t. Not really anyway.
“Will?” she says.
“He would love too,” I say with a smirk.
“I would, but I can’t,” he says and throws an annoyed glare at me.
“Oh.”
“Yeah, sorry. See you around though.” He picks up his pencil and begins doodling in the small notebook that’s been sitting on the arm rest since we came in here. He doesn’t even look back up at her before she walks out in defeat and embarrassment. That was kind of harsh, not that I care.
“She was throwing herself at you and you turned her down?” I ask.
“No she wasn’t.”
“You’re totally oblivious.”
“I am not, I just don’t date. Even if she was, I’m not leading her along.” And then he quietly adds, “Anymore.”
I ignore the last part and focus my attention to the sketch he’s been working on. A fluffy dog or wolf is what he’s been working on so hard and I now know never to compete in art with him. This drawing is extraordinary. “That’s really good,” I say.
“Thanks. It’s my dog Bay; she’s a husky.”
“Can I meet her?”
“I don’t let girls meet her. She gets jealous.”
“At least she does.”
He smirks. “I just don’t let girls in my apartment.”
“You’re so weird.”
“Thanks. I have to get back to work. Stay here, I want to finish this discussion.” He winks and walks out.
While he’s gone, I entertain myself by doodling on an old stack of supplies stock sheets and bouncing a bouncy ball around. At two he brings me a chicken sandwich and eats with me, but leaves again twenty minutes later. Why I stayed in that back room on that tiny couch all day waiting for him is beyond me. I met him today and I know nothing about him, but I waited all day.
At ten that night I’m curled up on the couch covered up with his jacket, halfway asleep. My eyes are barely open when he walks in and stops to stare at me and if I’m not mistaken a small grin appears on his lips.
“You look cozy,” he says.
“Mmmm,” I grumble.
“Sit up or you get cuddled.”
“Only if you promise.” I meet his eyes, which hold a blank expression and laugh. “Fine.” I sit up and bring my knees to my chest, making room for him to sit on the other end.
“My jacket is your blanket, I see,” he says.
“Yeah sorry; I get cold when I’m sleepy. And grumpy.” I hand it back but he shoves it away so I cover back up and lean my head into the cushion. “Why didn’t you go out with that girl?” Sleepiness is not good for me, because I never know I’m doing and I don’t have a mute button. It’s more like being drunk.
“I didn’t want too,” he replies simply.
“Can I meet your dog?”
“Maybe.”
“Good enough.”
“Why did you have a panic attack?”
I stay silent and breathe in his scent from the jacket. It smells like coffee, smoke and syrup, which is a combination of smells I’ve never been fond of until now. “You smell good,” I say.
“I like sleepy you.” He grins.
“What about awake me?”
“Rude and bitter.”
I laugh until I’m awake enough to know what I’m saying. My hair falls in my face and I know it looks horrible since I’ve been lying against the couch, so I push it back and attempt to keep my eyes open. “I’m really tired,” I say.
“Well, I’m about to lock up. I can give you a ride home,” he says and stands up.
“No, I have my bike.”
“Let me just drive you. It’s dark.”
“No.” I stand up and shove his jacket towards him. I refuse to ride in a car and the fact that he can’t drop the subject is starting to irritate me. “I’ll see you around.” I walk out and go through the dark store, making my way to the front door.
The night air hits me like a brick and it’s not hard to tell its fall because it’s freezing out here. I usually don’t ride when it’s dark unless it’s summer to avoid the cold. His hand latches onto my shoulder and I spin around to face him. He’s holding me in place with one hand and locking the door with the other hand.
“If you’re going to be so stubborn, then I’ll walk with you,” he says shoving the keys in his pocket.
“No, I’ll be fine. I can call Miles if I need too.”
“It’s almost midnight. Will he be up?”
“Yes and even if he’s not, he would come still in his pajamas.”
“Well, I’m glad you two are friendship buddies forever, but it’s freezing and it’s dark and I refuse to let you ride that bike home alone, so you can either get in my car or I can walk with you.”
“I’m not getting in your car.”
“Then I’ll walk beside you.”
“How will you get back to your car?”
“I’ll walk back.” He’s not going to change his mind and that’s obvious, so I grab my bike and walk it as he walks on the other side of it. He stuffs his hands in his jacket pockets as he walks with his sunglasses still hanging on his shirt. If I didn’t know any better, I would say he’s pretty arrogant from looking at him, but he doesn’t seem that way when he actually talks. “So, how about coffee in the morning?” he asks.
“Will, are you asking me out?” I tease.
“No, no. I was just suggesting two friends go get coffee.”
“Sounds like a date.”
“I don’t-”
“Date, I know. If I hear you say that one more time I will cut your tongue out,” I threaten.
“Okay, okay. So, yes?”
“No.”
“Why not?” he frowns.
“Because I don’t want too,” I reply simply with a grin playing on my lips. His frustrated look tells me he knows I only said that because that’s what he said about the red head. I lean my bike against the wall and lock the chain around it to the hand rail when we reach my townhouse twenty minutes later.
“I know this neighborhood,” he says.
“Yeah, it’s a pretty well-known place,” I reply and catch him rolling his eyes. I bang on the door as loud as I can, knowing Miles is passed out by now; he could barely stay awake at breakfast. “Miles, I know you hear me!”
“If he’s not here, what are you going to do?” he asks.
“Why wouldn’t he be here?”
“He got a text earlier, maybe he’s still out.”
“Trust me that text is over with now.” I bang on the door some more. “Open this door before I cut out your liver and feed it to the neighbor’s pit bull!”
“You’re so…”
“Thanks.”
The door swings open and Miles appears shirtless and in his plaid pajama pants as always. His hair is wild and his eyes are glassy. “I’m here, I’m here,” he says.
“I told you to start wearing a shirt,” I say.
“I don’t like shirts.”
“Well, I don’t like your boney stomach.”
He frowns and grumbles, “It’s sexy.” His eyes land on Will. “Wait, did you two walk here this time a night? Jesus Anne, I would have came down there and got you.”
“I got here, didn’t I?” I shove him inside and turn to Will. “Um, thanks. I’ll see you later.” My eyes snap inside when Miles runs into the wall and then begins yelling at it. “I have to go. He needs sleep.” I run inside and shut the door behind me. “Miles get in the bed,” I demand.
“How was your day?” he asks as I lead him into his room.
“It was fine. How was your day with your therapist?”
“Horrible. I don’t see why my doctor makes me go.”
“I know, I know.” I shove him onto his bed. “Goodnight.” I walk out and go to my room, collapsing onto the bed.

Thursday morning at eleven I’m trapped behind the counter at Crazy Smoothies in this bright yellow cap and this horrible work outfit. I give the guy his smoothie and wait for the next customer. When the red head from Will’s work walks in I can’t help but laugh under my breath. Her heels clank on the floor as she walks up to the counter and drums her long finger nails on the table top.
“Can I help you?” I ask.
“Yeah, I want a banana smoothie.”
“Coming right up.”
“Hey, you’re the girl from yesterday.”
“As are you.” I turn around and begin making her smoothie. A conversation with her is not what I want to be doing now, or ever. I pour her drink into a cup and spin around to slide it over to her. “One twenty five,” I say.
“For the record, I think you could change that boy.”
“Uh, excuse me?” I take her money and place it in the cash register.
“Will. I think you have what it takes you put emotion back into him.”
“If you like him, why are you telling me this?”
“He is not my type. I like the ones who can have fun.” She winks and I get the feeling her definition of fun is way different than mine. “Have a good day.” She walks off and I’m suddenly repulsed.
I wipe the counter down, but my eyes keep traveling to the window where I can see part of the music store. A woman with her blonde hair thrown up in a bun wanders to the movie section and Will walks over, making me stop wiping down the counter. He says something as she smiles at him and then he moves to the movies and scans them.
“Marla, I’m going on break!” I yell.
“What a surprise!” she yells back.
I fix a large strawberry smoothie and run outside to cross the street and go in the music store. Will is still helping the girl in the movies so I jump on the checkout counter and wait. When a man walks over to me holding a shirt and two posters I slide off and stand behind the cash register. “Can I help you?” I ask.
“Yeah, do you know where the Rolling Stones C.D. is?”
“Oh yeah.” I walk over and grab the C.D. before walking back to the counter and holding it up. After he gives an approving nod and smile I ring up his merchandise before handing him the sack. “Have a nice day.”
“You too.” He walks away and out the door.
“I believe your hat says smoothies, not music.” I spin around and see Will grinning from ear to ear, leaning backwards on the counter. He grabs the smoothie and raises an eyebrow. “Is this mine?”
“It is,” I reply.
“Thanks for ringing that guy up. Dan called in sick today. And thanks for the smoothie.”
“No problem.” I jump back on the counter as he walks over to mess with the cash register. Without thinking, I run my fingers through his hair, earning a small smile from him.
“What are you doing?” he asks.
“I don’t know. I really like your hair.” I continue stroking it as a male walks in with black hair, a lip ring and gauges.
“Will!” he says.
I quickly place my hands on the counter and away from Will’s hair.
“Hey Danny,” he says.
“A girl? A girl here with Will? No way.”
“Hey, I’m Anne,” I say.
“Danny. So, Will there’s this concert tomorrow night.”
“Who’s playing?” I ask before Will can answer.
“Just some guys around here, but it’ll be crazy. Girls, music, drinks. Or in your case boys, music, and drinks.” He raises his eyebrows at me and I trail my eyes over his perfectly structured jaw and cheek bones. Tattoos litter his chest and arms which is visible through his light gray muscle shirt. He would be intimidating to anyone who came in contact with him, but I become too infatuated with him to be afraid.
“I might stop by,” Will says.
“If not, this young lady seems eager to join me,” Danny says, grinning up at me.
“I’m always down for music,” I say.
“Careful; don’t hit on her. She has to have approval from her best friend,” Will says.
“Excuse me? Miles has no say in who I date or flirt with, which is why I went out with you, otherwise I would have listened to him and stayed home yesterday morning,” I snap.
“Good God, you’re feisty,” Danny says, his bright blue eyes burning a hole through me. “Whoever this Miles guy is, he can come too, as long as you promise to be there.”
“Deal.” I smirk at Will whose shoulders are hunched as he glares at Danny.
“All right. I have to go. See you tomorrow. It’s at the field on the end of that old gravel road by the way. You know, the one passed the city limit line.” He licks his lips before strolling out.
“I’m going tomorrow,” I state proudly at Will.
“No you’re not,” he breathes.
“Why not?”
“Not with him you’re not.” He stalks off and begins placing movies in different places and I assume it’s just to try and look busy and avoid talking to me.
“Why do you care? He’s your friend.”
“Yeah, and?”
“And I don’t understand why you care. Me and you are friends and it’s not a big deal.”
“Look, I understand we’re friends and you guys can be too, whatever. I’m just saying, I know him better than anyone and he’s not the type of person you want to be alone with, but since you’re going to be at a crazy party I guess I have nothing to worry about.”
“Why do you even care? You don’t even know me,” I defend.
“Yes I do. Sort of. Look, it doesn’t matter. Have fun.”
“The red head was wrong about you.”
“What are you talking about?”
“She made a statement making it seem like you don’t have emotions, but you obviously do because you’re pissed off.”
“I’m not pissed. I’m trying to look out for you. You seem nice… sort of, and I don’t want him taking advantage of you, because he will.” He pinches the top of his nose and closes his eyes as his breathing staggers a bit. “I need a cigarette.”
“You only smoke once a day.”
“Not today.” He goes for his pack in his pocket, but I snatch it away before he can go outside and light one. “Give it back.”
“No. You need to stop smoking.”
“Can I have them back?”
I roll my eyes but my anger disappears when Miles walks in the store, with his eyebrows raised at me. “Your boss is not a nice woman,” he says.
“I’m coming. I’m coming. Why does she always send you?” I ask. I toss Will his cigarettes and walk off without another word to him. Once I reach Miles I link my arm through his. “I’m thinking about protesting.”
“Against what?” he questions.
“Sending my best friend to make me work.”
“Because you never work.”
“Maybe if it wasn’t so dreadfully awful.”
“Get to work.” He rolls his eyes and shoves me inside with a chuckle.
I give a sarcastic smile to Marla when I enter the smoothie place and slide across the counter to finish my shift. I’m a hard worker when it comes to things I enjoy, but when it’s involving this job, not so much.

At six that night my shift is over, so I sling my bag over my shoulder and push the doors open, letting the fall breeze hit me hard. My bike is gone from the metal rack and for a second I begin to panic. Why would someone take my bike? I spin in a circle searching for it, but my eyes land on something better.
Will’s back is pressed against the brick wall a few feet down. When he meets my eyes he slips off his sunglasses and pushes off the wall, making his way to me. “Hey,” he says.
“Were you waiting for me?” I ask.
“Uh, yeah.” He ruffles his hair a bit.
“Why?”
“Can I walk you home?”
“I guess, since someone stole my bike.”
“What a shame.” A grin plays on his lips and he begins walking at my side. “So, I overreacted earlier about the Danny thing.” He stuffs his hands in his pockets and looks ahead.
“Yeah, you did. So, you’re okay with me going now?”
“Definitely not.”
“I really don’t see why you care.”
“I don’t. I don’t control you; I’m just warning you, he’s a nice guy but his intentions aren’t.”
“What does that even mean?” I stop and stare at him until he meets it.
“Trust me, I’m sure you’ll find out.” His patronizing stare finally moves on to the distance and with a sigh he begins walking again, but keeps a distance between us. “How was work?”
“Horrible as always. What about you?” I ask.
“It was all right.” His black sunglasses are slipped on his collar, which I’m starting to realize is part of his every day outfit. The outline of his cigarettes is visible through his jeans pocket and I think back to earlier when I took them away from him.
“I need to run by the store, so I’ll see you tomorrow night?” My feet stop moving when something in his eyes change and his jaw flexes.
“I can walk to the store with you.”
“Okay,” I say quietly, taken aback from his intimidating glare he’s giving me. Although I know he doesn’t really care about anything, I still do my best to try and not anger him anymore on our walk to the Dollar Store.
“You’re just getting milk?” he questions when I go to the checkout counter.
“Yeah. Miles drank it all, so I should make him buy it, but he bought it last time,” I reply and grab my milk, walking out of the store.
“So, you guys have no romance? Friends with benefits or anything?”
“No… why? Can’t believe a boy and girl can’t be just friends?” I smirk.
“We’re friends aren’t we?” He shot back and my smirk melts away, replacing it with a glare. “It’s just rare, especially when they live together.”
“Well, we have no romance. We’ve never even kissed.”
“Really? Wow.”
He makes me beyond irritated and I don’t know why. He’s nice but snarky, which I find appealing, but he can piss me off more than anyone I know. The things he says aren’t even that bad, they just irritate me and people usually don’t bother me, or well, they do, but I don’t care enough to act on it.
He reaches for the milk and carries it for me, without saying a word about it which makes my irritation melt away, but then return because he has that affect on me.
I reach my house and see my bike leaning against the house, locked on the hand rail. “What the heck?”
“What’s wrong?” he asks.
“My bike. How did it get here?” I spin around to say something else, but the light in his eyes and the small smile he’s trying to contain makes me put the pieces together. “Why would you steal my bike just to bring it home?”
“How was I going to walk you home if you had your bike?”
“Wait, you-”
“I loaded it up in my car and brought it here and then drove back and parked in the lot of the music store and then I waited outside your work for an hour, yes.”
“Why?” is the only question I know to ask.
“I wanted to walk you home. Can I take this inside?” He doesn’t wait for my answer he just walks in and finds the kitchen, placing the milk in the fridge.
“If you get to see my house, I get to see yours,” I state.
“Not going to happen. I told you, I don’t let girls see my house. Besides, it’s an apartment.”
“Either way.” I shrug and turn my attention to Miles trudging through the front door muttering things under his breath. He doesn’t even notice us standing there, he just walks on and to his room and then I hear a loud crash a second later. “Miles!” I run to his room and stop in the doorway, seeing everything from his desk swiped into the floor.
“I can’t do it,” he hisses looking at me with bloodshot eyes.
“Do what? Miles, are you okay?”
“No, I’m not okay!” he screams.
“What’s going on?” Will asks, running into the room with us.
“Nothing. Get out of my room.” He paces and when I take a step back he reaches for my wrist and yanks me to him. “I’m sorry, no, don’t leave, please I’m sorry.”
“What’s wrong?” I whisper and gently push him to the bed where he sits on the edge with his head in his hands.
“My mom.”
“She’s at it again?”
“Yeah. She showed up at my therapy session today and made a huge scene. We both got kicked out.”
“Go to a different therapist.” I push the hair away from his face and chew on my lip, thinking of what to say. His mom always makes him act like this.
“I’ll have to go to one out of town or something so she can’t find me.”
“Miles, it’ll be okay. Do you want to go get a milkshake?”
“Yes,” he breathes and stands up, looking at Will like he just realized he was in here. “Oh, hey Will.”
“Hey,” Will replies.
“Sorry about that. Um…” He doesn’t even finish, he just walks out.
“Family drama,” I say to Will.
“You calmed him down so quickly. How did you do that?”
“I just know him.”
A smile appears on his lips and he ruffles a hand through his hair, which is honestly the most attractive thing he does. The Rolling Stone shirt clings to his torso and his tight jeans meet a pair combat boots. “You’re staring at me again,” he says.
“What?” I snap my head up to his cocky smirk and instantly roll my eyes. “You’re not that nice to look at.”
“I think your flushed cheeks would beg to differ.”
I flick my tongue over my tooth and huff. “Are you coming or not?” I grumble and brush past him to find Miles waiting outside. “You good?” I ask.
“Yeah, I’m cooled down now. Ready for milkshakes?”
“Yeah.” I flop down the steps and look over at Will as he stands uncomfortably.
“Are you coming?” Miles asks him and walks off with me and Will scrambling to catch up. “All right, so are you two a couple now? Because if so, I need to do a background check.”
“There’s no need for that,” I say.
“He could be an axe murderer Anne. Although I am surprised that you actually brought him home and visited him at his work today.”
“Shut up,” I hiss.
“Why is that surprising?” Will questions and I silently beg Miles to stop talking.
“Because she doesn’t trust anyone. Well, me, but a normal person no and she always smiles when you’re around.”
“Miles, stop talking!” I scream. I huff and continue stalking up the sidewalk in an aggravated way, but Will gets closer, where our hips are pressed against each other. My flustered look doesn’t go unnoticed, but before I can speak we reach the small milkshake hut.
“Two vanilla shakes and uh, Will?” Miles asks.
“Same.”
“Three vanilla shakes,” he says to the grumpy woman behind the counter. He turns to face us with a grin when she walks away to fix our shakes. “All right, after this who’s up for a movie?”
“I’m down,” Will replies.
“How about the-” Miles face is shoved into the milkshake hut by a tall dirty-blonde male gripping the back of his neck fiercely.
“Hey Miles, nice to see you again,” he says in more of a hiss.
Miles mutters a few cuss words. “What do you want?” he snaps.
“You’re a punk, you know that? A worthless punk.” He lets him go and Miles spins around to face him.
“Thanks,” Mile spits, smoothing down his shirt, pissed but not phased by the guy.
“You really think you can get away from me?”
“I’m surely trying.” He does his best not to look at me, but I know he’s struggling not to meet my horrified eyes. When he attempts to push past the guy he throws a punch catching Miles off guard and hitting him in the jaw. Miles tackles him without hesitation, hitting him in the nose.
“It’s cute how you think you can fight me and win,” the man says, shoving Miles’ face into a table. “Still living with that hot chick? Maybe I’ll take her out tonight. I know you’ll love that.”
“Get off of him!” I shout, grabbing the man’s shoulders and yanking him backwards, surprising both of us. I pull Miles up and examine his face, but I’m shoved to the ground which just makes me angrier so I jump up and punch the guy in the nose.
That’s when Will intervenes and grabs the guy by the arm and shoves him against the building a few feet down. The guy attempts to throw a punch, but Will blocks it smoothly. “Leave them alone.” His knee jabs into the man’s stomach, hard. “And if you don’t, I’ll break your arms, got it?”
“Will Donner, what a lovely surprise,” he says with blood dripping from his nose.
“Get out of here,” he growls. The muscles in his back are flexed and his arms are pinning the man to the wall. Nevertheless, he’s never looked so dangerous and attractive.
The man grins, but walks away anyway and Will stalks over to us. Without a word he slaps money down on the small counter of the stand and takes the shakes from the woman who looks bewildered as ever. “You didn’t see anything,” he demands and hands us each a shake before walking off.
“Will, wait,” I call and run up to him. “Thank you. I mean… I didn’t… thanks.”
“Yeah. Is he okay?”
“I’m sure he’s fine.” I turn to Miles as he walks over to us with his shoulders hunched in defeat. “Miles, are you hurt?” I hold his chin in my hand and turn his head left and right, examining his jaw.
“I’m fine. It’ll bruise but no big deal. Thanks Will.”
“Don’t just say thanks Will. What was that about?”
“I ran into him the other day and he started a fight with me. No big deal.”
“His name is Matt. He starts fights with everyone,” Will says.
“Well, how do you know him?” I ask.
“He’s friends with Danny. You know the guy you’re going out with tomorrow night? That’s the type of people he hangs around.”
“Guys, I just want to go home,” Miles says.
“Okay, we’ll head that way.”
“No. Go have fun. I’ll see you tonight and we’ll watch a movie or something; right now I want to be alone.” He walks off, leaving me and Will alone.
“I’m sorry you had to be in the middle of that,” I say quietly and then sip on my milkshake. His fingers gently go under my chin and I look at him, suddenly startled by the gentle gesture.
“Are you okay?” he asks.
“Why wouldn’t I be? Other than the fact he hurt Miles.”
“He pushed you, although, I’m very fond of how you punched him.” He gives a small grin. “You’re really protective of him, aren’t you?” he says quietly, his eyes squinted a bit.
“Yeah, I mean, he’s my best friend and he’s the only thing I have left. I love him.”
“He’s really lucky to have you as a best friend.” He clears his throat and drops his hand, turning and walking off, so I walk beside him. I haven’t known him that long, but I’m starting to pick up on his behavior patterns. Rough or sweet are two things he doesn’t do often, which is why it surprised me so much that he did such a gentle act by asking me if I was okay and fighting that guy for Miles. He’s usually so gentle and calm, but emotionless. The red head girl was right about him not having much emotion, but I still think she was wrong about me being able to fix that.
Will and I walk the block twice before I’m too tired to continue and he walks me home, lingering awkwardly when we say goodbye. He wants to say something, I want to say something, but I don’t know what that something would be.
“Thanks again,” I say.
“Is that all you want to say?” he questions.
“I had a really nice time.”
“Me too.” His smile slowly disappears and he takes a step back. “You’re a really good friend.”
“Yeah, same. Goodnight.” I give him a flustered look and run up the steps and inside my house. I’m a good friend? Is this a Disney channel sitcom? I give a loud laugh and walk in Miles’ room to find him lying on his back, staring at the ceiling in the dark.
“Life sucks,” he groans, not looking away from the ceiling.
I kick my shoes off and crawl into his bed, lying on my back beside him. “There’s always tomorrow,” I say.
“This is why I love you.” He rolls over on his side and I watch as his eyes close, with his hair falling in his eyes. I give a smile and wait until he’s asleep before I quietly walk to my room.

There’s no way Miles will let me go to this party without him pounding me with questions. He acts like he’s my dad sometimes; it’s quite annoying. “I’m hanging out with Will,” I say to him as he enters the living room.
“Ooh, have fun. Call if you need me,” he replies.
I nod and walk outside to grab my bike. It’s seven at night and by the time I arrive at the crowded concert party it’s eight. Lights blind me and the smell of beer floods my nose. Maybe I should have listened to Will.
Regardless of the smell, I park my bike and enter the crowd of people. A stage is set up in front of the crowd and I begin to wonder how people fixed this up in the middle of a field.
None of these people look familiar, so I keep shoving through. Will never said he was coming, so I guess my only option is to find Danny.
“Anne!”
I snap my head over to Danny and make my way over to him. A red cup is in his hand and the blonde beside him is covered in tattoos just like Danny, but his hair is more white than blonde I now realize.
“Glad you could make it. This is Razor,” Danny says.
“Hey, I’m Anne,” I reply.
“I’ll be right back.” Danny takes off to talk to a man in a black jacket with his back to us.
“So, you’re Danny’s girl huh?” Razor says.
Surely I heard him wrong. “What? No.”
“Oh, that’s not the impression I got from him.”
“Well, I’m not his girl. I’m no one’s girl.”
“Might want to tell him that.”
Before I respond, Danny walks back over with Matt at his side and when I see the black eye and light purple tint to his nose I can’t help but laugh, but get a glare in response, which I don’t care about. I should be filled with hatred for what he did to Miles and I am for that reason, but other than that, I really don’t care if he’s still mad.
“What are you laughing at?” Matt asks.
“Nice eye,” I reply.
“You’re lucky I didn’t strangle your friend.”
“You’re lucky I didn’t strangle you,” I snap.
“Wait, this is who gave you the bloody nose?” Danny asks and then erupts into laughter. “Nice one, Anne.”
“Whatever,” Matt grumbles and pulls out a cigarette, giving one to Danny. He must notice my stare because he gives a devious grin and holds the box out to me. “Want one?”
Will told me I’m basically not allowed to smoke, but he’s not here and I’m my own person, so I take one and light it. Oh God, this is awful. I being choking and pounding on my chest with my fist, but all three of them just laugh at me. “This is disgusting,” I choke out.
“You get used to it,” Matt says with a shrug.
Music begins to fill the air when the band finally starts playing, so we face the stage but sit down on the small deck beside us and that’s when I realize small decks are built all over the place.
When Danny smokes his entire cigarette, I let him take a puff on mine. Tonight isn’t what I expected, but it is fun. The band is punk rock, although they’re not the greatest. At least they’re trying, I suppose.
“Okay, after this who’s down for some burgers?” Matt asks.
“I am. Anne, would you like to join us? Razor is going too,” Danny says.
“Sure,” I reply.
“There you are,” Will growls, shoving someone out of the way to stand in front of me. “Are you smoking? Danny, what the heck?” He grabs the cigarette out of my hand and tosses it to the ground, stomping it hard. “Miles let you come?”
“He doesn’t control me,” I defend, jumping up to my feet.
“Obviously someone needs too.”
“Go home Will.”
“You’re coming with me,” he demands.
“C’mon Will, she’s just having fun,” Danny says, standing up and grabbing onto my wrist, which makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.
“Let go of her,” Will hisses.
“No, she’s my date tonight and she’s staying here. Go home.”
The situation unravels in front of and my feet become glued to the ground. Maybe it’s the way Will’s jaw is flexed and his fists are balled up at his sides or that his eyes are drawn to slits, but I find myself stepping towards him. His chest is puffed out under my palm, but I shove him anyway.
“I should go. I’ll see you around,” I say to Danny.
“Anne,” he calls.
“I’m sorry.” I turn my back to him and follow Will through the crowd. My bike is leaning against his car and I suddenly get more frustrated. He moved my bike?
“Is there any way you will get in my car?” he asks.
“No.” I grab my bike and climb on, but his hands clamp down on the handlebars.
“Please?”
“No!” I shout and throw my bike to the ground. “You had no right to come here and do that. I was hanging out with Danny. It’s my life and you have no control over it.”
“Well, I should because you make stupid decisions.”
“Okay, but they’re my decisions. You walk around like you don’t give a s*** about anything, but yet you’re so controlling over me. It’s pathetic.”
“I act like I don’t care? What about you?” he spits.
“What about me?” I hiss.
“You act like nothing matters and everything is about you. Do you care about anything besides music and Miles?”
“Yes.”
“Like what? Please enlighten me.”
“I care about you,” I admit quietly. I watch the stress fall from his face and his shoulders slump out of his defensive stance.
“Please get in the car,” he says in a gentle tone. “Or at least tell me why you won’t.”
“No,” I say answering both of his questions. Even though his tone is now soft and gentle and it calms me down I still refuse to let him win this argument. He had no right in coming to that party and dragging me out of there like he owned me.
“Fine.” He opens the hatch on his car and throws my bike in it. “I’ll have some guys bring my car by later.”
“No, go home.”
“I am.”
“I’m really starting to hate you,” I mutter.
“Good thing I don’t give a s***,” he smirks. I begin to stomp off, but his fingers intertwine with mine, making me stay at his side.
Silence between us stretched for ten minutes, making me really wanting to be home with Miles. He’s probably home alone watching some old movie that we’ve seen a thousand times. We finally reach town, which means I’m only a half hour away from home.
“I’m sorry,” he says breaking the silence.
“It’s fine,” I reply.
“You’re right, you know. I do act like that, but that’s only because I don’t care. Not really anyway.”
“Good to know.”
“I don’t care that these girls get hung up on me and I let them down. I don’t care that a lot of people think I’m emotionless, Anne, I honestly don’t care.” He stops and looks down at me. “But with you I do.”
“What?”
“You’re the first person who’s been a real friend,” he says quickly.
Oh right. Friend. “I’m glad, but I’m still mad at you.”
He chuckles, but starts walking again. He doesn’t hold my hand again, which is probably for the best because it started to make me feel weird, meaning I’m starting to like touching him and that’s not good, because I can’t like him.
Miles is up and sitting on the couch when Will and I walk in. He stands up and gives me a stern look. “I’ve called six times; I thought you were hurt, but I didn’t know where to look. Are you okay?”
“I’m fine,” I reply.
“Why do you smell like smoke?”
I flick my tongue over my tooth before I sigh. “I went to a party. Danny offered me a cigarette and I took it.”
“Anne.”
“Miles.”
“Don’t do this again.”
“It was one cigarette. You don’t own me and how about you leave the past in the past?” I snap.
“I would if you didn’t have a tendency to keep bringing the past back into now. You can’t be that again.”
“That what? That girl? What’s wrong Miles? Am I not as perfect as you thought I was?”
“You obviously need to cool down before we say some things we both regret.” He walks into his room and slams the door.
I huff and stomp to my room, packing my backpack full of clothes and sling it onto my shoulder. Will stands in my doorway with his arms crossed.
“What are you doing?” he asks.
“I’m staying at a hotel. I don’t want to be here with him right now. I’ve had a long night.”
“You’re not staying at a hotel alone.”
“I won’t be alone. The other guests are there.”
“Not happening.”
“Then-”
“Come on.” He grabs my bag from my shoulder and throws it onto his own. He doesn’t say another word he just walks out expecting me to follow and doesn’t stop until he’s outside standing on the sidewalk. “You can stay at my house.”
“But you said-”
“I know, but you’re not staying in a hotel and I know you’re too stubborn to go back in your house tonight.”
“You know me so well,” I say sarcastically. The reason this neighborhood looked familiar to him that night is because he lives two streets over. His apartment is on the second floor, number 204. He unlocks the door and then awkwardly looks at me, waving his hand towards the doorway.
“Um, come in,” he says.
“Wow, I can tell you do this all the time.” I brush past him and walk inside. It’s big for an apartment. The living room is huge with a fireplace on the far right wall and a maroon couch is in the middle of the room facing a flat screen T.V that hangs from the wall. The wall the T.V. is on breaks off into the kitchen which is filled with a silver fridge and marble counters. “Are you rich?” I practically scream.
“Uh, no, sort of,” he says ruffling his hair.
“Just from working at the music store?”
“No. I sell art and have been since I was fifteen, I just never buy anything.”
“Except this huge apartment.”
“Yeah, except that.” He looks really uncomfortable, so he grabs my bag off the floor and disappears into the hall behind him. I go to follow him, but a dog runs out and tackles me to the ground. Bright blue eyes stare at me when I attempt to raise up and then a tongue is slobbering all over my cheek.
“Bay!” Will screams from wherever he is.
“You’re Bay! Hey girl,” I hum and scratch behind her ear. “Wow, you’re really pretty.”
“Sorry, sorry,” Will mutters walking into the room.
“Why? She’s adorable.” The husky strolls over to Will and plops down on top of his feet with her tongue hanging out and I see the grin Will is trying to hold back. It makes me smile how happy Will gets from his dog and they really do look like a pair of best friends.
“You’re cute; we get it,” he says to Bay who barks in response. “You hungry, Anne?”
“Starved.”
“I’ll fix something. You can take a shower… or whatever it is you do.”
“Thanks.” I find the bathroom which is in the hall, past Will’s room. Even the bathroom is big and I don’t understand how he made so much money just selling by his art, but then again I didn’t even know he was an artist.
I take a longer shower than necessary, so it will give him time to fix dinner and less time to sit awkwardly. I’m not the type who doesn’t know what to say and trips over my own words, in fact I rarely get embarrassed or nervous, but ever since we walked in here he’s seemed on edge.
My hair dangles in strands and I slip on a pair of pajama shorts and a plain white t-shirt before walking back into the kitchen that smells wonderful. Will leans over the counter, engrossed in some magazine when I walk in. “Smells good,” I say.
His eyes travel up to me and linger on my body longer than they should, but he acts like it’s no big deal and meets my gaze. “I hope you like spaghetti.”
“How 1980’s film romantic.”
“That’s another way of saying cliché isn’t it?”
“Yeah.”
“Then starve.” I roll my eyes as he fixes two plates and slides one over to me before sitting on the stool at the bar across from me. He takes a forkful into his mouth without getting a single drop of sauce on him. “Why aren’t you eating?”
“Fair warning, I’m a very messy eater.”
“Oh this should be good.” He watches me so I take my bite slow but I end up dropping sauce onto the table and then I give up and dig in. “You’re right.”
“Shut up.” I continue eating and catch him glancing at me the entire time we eat and by the time I’m done he’s so amused he’s choking on his water. “Will!”
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It’s cute.”
“No, it’s sloppy.”
“Yeah, but it’s still cute.”
I roll my eyes and hop of the stool. “I’m going to sleep.” I walk over to the couch and lay down with him following me. He grabs a blanket off the loveseat and flings it over before saying goodnight and walking out.

The rain drizzles against the windows and I’m lying on the couch, just listening and appreciating the calmness from it. Will is in his room, probably asleep by now, but here I am on his couch wide awake at midnight. My mind wanders into his room before my feet follow.
He’s laying there with his eyes closed and the husky taking up the other side of the bed but I don’t know what I expected. Instead of leaving right away, I walk over to his dresser where his cigarettes lay and snatch them before I grin and run back to the living room. I search his desk until I find a box of crayons and empty the cigarettes, replacing them with the crayons before quietly walking back and placing the box on his dresser.
Bay moves over when I walk to her side of the bed and crawl in, laying on top of the comforter which is what Will is doing so it would be strange if I got under the blankets, wouldn’t it?
“Anne, why are you in my bed?” Will asks his eyes still closed.
“I’m bored,” I groan.
“That’s my problem?”
“I didn’t know you were awake.”
“I wasn’t.” He rolls his head over to face me with a lazy smile.
“Oh. Sorry.” I run my fingers through Bay’s fur and hum softly.
“You know, this whole bad girl that doesn’t care about anything image isn’t working anymore. I believed you at first, but now I know you’re actually nice.”
“Are you going soft on me, Will Donner?” I tease.
“No, Anne Williams. I just know you.”
“No one knows me.”
“Miles does.”
“Yeah.”
“And me.”
“No.”
“Then let me,” he pleads with a gleam in his eyes. It’s hard to tell, but he looks almost vulnerable with his sleepy eyes and bed head. His dog gets up and moves to lie on Will’s ankles, making him laugh lightly.
“What do you want to know?” I ask quietly.
“Why won’t you ride in a car?”
I knew this would come up again and he should know. I’m not sure why, but I want to tell him even though the whole thing seems kind of ridiculous now. “Um,” I stutter, trying not to have another panic attack. “Um, three years ago my parents…” Deep breath. “My parents died in a car wreck.”
“That’s why? Anne just because they died, doesn’t mean you will.”
“I can’t take that chance. Every time I tried getting in a car after that, the night of being at the hospital flashed through my mind and I just can’t.”
“I’m really sorry,” he says. “If you’re willing to try, I’m willing to help. I can just drive you around the block,” he rambles softly.
“I don’t know.”
“You can’t be scared forever.”
“I know.”
“Why did Miles say that earlier?”
“After they died I did a lot of bad stuff to cope for a couple months, but he helped me through it.” He’s so easy to talk to; he just listens and he actually wants to know about me, which is rare.
“Your past doesn’t define you, Anne,” he says.
I stare at him in astonishment. He really is something and I’ve been denying my feelings for him since I met him and I think it’s about time I accept them, but he doesn’t date and it would just be worse in the long run. “Tell me about you,” I say quietly.
His arms stretch out behind is head and he crosses his ankles, making Bay mad so she jumps into the floor. “Well, I’m twenty. Favorite band is probably AC/DC or The Smiths. I love black coffee, Bay is my best friend, I’m an artist and I’ve never had a girlfriend.”
“Ever?” I cut in.
“No, never. I’ve dated, but I’ve never had a girlfriend. Anyway, I do graffiti a lot. I’ve been arrested twice for vandalizing but in reality I made their building look better.” He grins.
“How long were you in jail?”
“Like three days. It was a really old building that I did graffiti on a lot.”
I process the new information as his hands go back down to his sides and I notice the scar on his hand again. I take his hand in mine and rub my thumb over the scar. “What about this?” I question.
“Fight. The guy cut me with a broken beer bottle, so I broke his arms.”
And then it clicks. I sit up and stare down at his bewildered eyes. “It was Matt, wasn’t it? That’s why he walked away so easily when you got involved and that’s why you said you’d break his arms, but you really meant you’d break them again.”
“Yes, miss detective, it was him. Now lay back down.”
I oblige and lay beside him again; his arm drapes across my waist and he rolls over on his side, but I stay on my back. At first I want to shove him off of me, but then I begin to feel comfortable and soothed at his touch, so I run my fingers through his hair and enjoy this moment.
“Go to sleep,” he murmurs quietly.
“Here?”
“Why would you want to be anywhere else?”
“I like sleepy you,” I mimic with a smile before letting myself drift off.

Will’s arm is still draped across my stomach when I wake and I’m not sure how he’ll feel about this, so I slowly slide out of bed and pick up my bag from the floor before slipping out the front door quickly.
His friends came through, because his black escalade sits in the lot. It’s unlocked so I pull my bike out and peddle home.
Miles is walking out the front door when I ride up. I toss my bike on the ground and tackle him in a hug when he steps off the bottom step. “I’m sorry,” I blurt out.
“God, Anne, you had me scared to death.”
“You were right; I just needed to calm down.” I pull out of the hug and stare at him.
“I know; I am too. Where did you stay?”
“Will’s. I need coffee, so I’ll see you in a bit. Can we go out for dinner?”
“Chinese takeout?” he suggests.
“Perfect. See you later.” I hop on my bike after throwing my backpack in the front door and ride down to the coffee shop. Miles and I are okay, Will and I aren’t fighting and I actually found some details about him; things are good.

I sit on the stool in the coffee shop next to the big window, enjoying being alone with just my frappe. The leaves fall from the small tree outside, reminding me it’s still autumn. The bell on the door rings when someone walks in and then an arm covered in tattoos is on my table. It takes me a minute to finally meet his blue eyes.
“Hey Anne,” Danny says casually.
“Hey,” I reply.
“Sorry about last night. He has the worst timing; so, do you want to go out for lunch?”
“Today?”
“Or dinner.”
“I have dinner plans, but what ab-” My eyes land on Will storming in the door wearing a white t-shirt and jeans with his hair pulled back in a maroon beanie. He slams his fist on the table, making me jump a little.
“You left me this morning,” he states.
“Um…”
“I woke up to an empty bed.” He finally looks at Danny. “You left me to meet him?”
“No, I just ran into him,” I defend.
“Chill man, you’re not dating her,” Danny says.
“Go away,” Will grumbles.
“I’m trying to ask a lady out,” he informs Will.
Will straightens his shoulders and focuses his glare on Danny. The night he pinned Matt against the wall floods my mind and I know these two both have a record of fighting and I refuse to let that happen here.
“Danny-”
“Actually, we are dating,” Will says and I’m so shocked I fall off my stool.
“You don’t date,” Danny says.
“I do now, so back off,” he growls and grabs my hand, pulling me along and out of the building. Without my permission he grabs my bike and pushes it down the sidewalk.
“Are we going to talk about this?” I ask.
“No,” he huffs.
“Thought you don’t get jealous,” I mumble.
He stops and swings around to face me with a glare but when I raise my eyebrow and smirk it catches him off guard, because I’ve picked up that most people are afraid of him when he gets irritated, but he just gets frustrated now. “Um, I-I wasn’t jealous. He’s just not a good guy.”
“So, if I go back there and accept his offer to dinner, you wouldn’t care?”
“No.”
“You wouldn’t care if I went to his house and let him fix me spaghetti?”
His breath staggers a bit, but he says, “No.”
“Maybe I will then and we can eat spaghetti and then I’ll get sleepy, so I’ll stay the night and I can tell him about my parents and talk about the music I like, maybe I’ll let him kiss me and-”
“Stop talking!” he barks.
I give a loud laugh. “Thought you weren’t jealous?”
“Please stop talking,” he huffs and pushes the bike faster, squeezing the handle bars tighter and I know I got to him. It may have been harsh, but I know he cares about me at least a little bit.
He gently but forcefully slams the bike against the brick wall of my house and puts his hands on his hips, sighing into the air. The black sunglasses are missing from his wardrobe today and I don’t see a box outline in his pocket.
“You forgot all your accessories,” I say.
“Yeah I know. I don’t even have my phone; I was in a rush.”
“Why?”
“I had to find you.”
“Why?” I ask again.
“I don’t know Anne; I just did, all right?” He shoves his hands in his pockets and sighs again. Something is really upsetting him, but I don’t know what it is and I don’t know how to help so I stay silent, waiting for him to say something. “I’m going to go. Is Miles here?”
“I don’t know.”
“Well, if he’s not and you need something, call me.” He walks off, muttering something to himself along the way.
Miles isn’t here when I walk in, so I go sit in a hot bath until my fingers shrivel up and then I pass out on the bed, feeling the stress fall away immediately.

“Anne,” Miles says softly, nudging me.
“Miles,” I grumble.
“Yeah, hey, I brought dinner.”
“Dinner?” I sit up and see the sun setting outside my window. “I’ve been asleep half the day.”
Miles shrugs and walks to the kitchen. Before I follow him I brush my hair and wipe the mascara from under my eyes and then go to the kitchen where Miles is pulling the Chinese food from the bag. “Oh good; I’m starved,” I state.
“Let’s eat out,” he says with a playful smile and grabs the food to slip out the sliding glass door, leading to the backyard. Our lawn chairs are already out so he places the food on one and begins pulling logs into our homemade fire pit. A minute later the wood goes up in flames.
I plop down on a lawn chair and he turns on the radio before he flops into the other chair. I grab the box of noodles and dig in with a plastic fork.
“How are you and Will?” he asks with his mouth full of rice.
“There is no me and Will; we’re just friends.”
“Oh is that so?” He smiles, which is beyond annoying.
“Yes.”
“Is that why you stayed the night at his house?”
I flip him off and stare at the stars, listening to the soft melody of the radio, even though I’m unfamiliar with the song.
“You’re not smoking or anything right?”
My eyes drop down to meet his gaze. “No, of course not.”
“Okay, good.”
“When are you going to get a girlfriend so you can get off my back?”
“Ah, but where’s the fun in this friendship if I don’t bother you?”
“Whatever.” I take a bite of noodles as Will walks around the side of the house. The black fabric hugs his torso, covered by a thin red jacket. No beanie tonight, which gives me the opportunity to admire his dark and blonde streaked hair. He chucks a box at me and crosses his arms. The box opens on my lap and the crayons spill out and I begin laughing so hard, tears are in the corner of my eyes.
“This isn’t funny,” Will says.
“Oh, yes it is.”
“What’d she do?” Miles asks.
“She replaced all my cigarettes with crayons.”
“Classical Anne,” he chuckles.
“Where’s my cigarettes?” Will demands.
“In your desk drawer.” I throw the box into the flames and continue eating trying to ignore the fact his eyes are reflecting the fire.
“Did I interrupt something?” Will asks taking in the scene.
“No,” Miles answers. “I’m leaving. We’re out of bacon. Anne, Will.” His cheeky grin tells me he’s not really going to get bacon.
After he disappears in the house I look up at Will. “Noodles?”
He leans down, so I stuff a bite into his mouth. A small smile plays on his lips as he swings Miles’ chair over beside mine to sit down. “So this is what you and Miles do on fall nights?”
“Well, yeah sometimes.”
“That’s sweet.” He opens his mouth and leans into me, so I shove another bite into his mouth. “Sorry about this morning,” he says.
“You were jealous; it’s cool.”
“I wasn’t jealous. I don’t do all that.”
I flick a noodle at his face in response.
He rolls his eyes and glances at the radio that’s playing some slow song; The Fray maybe? He throws his legs over the side of the chair and grabs my hand, pulling us both to our feet. “Do you want to dance?”
There’s no way I can deny his hushed voice, so I nod and follow him over beside the fire. My hands wrap around his neck as his hands fall on my waist, spreading a shiver through my whole body.
“You’re a good dancer,” he says.
“As are you.”
“You’re really pretty.”
“Thanks,” I gush.
“If you could go anywhere, where would it be?”
“Neverland.”
“I’ll take you to Neverland.” He grins with his eyes sparkling. The song switches off and I go to pull away but another one comes on and I recognize it’s Snow Patrol- Chasing Cars. “Where you going?” he asks and pulls me closer.
“Nowhere,” I reply. He doesn’t date and this will be a huge mistake, but his lips are right in front of me, with his eyes peering down at me, watching my every move. “Will, um, can I,” I stammer.
He reads my thoughts and leans down to kiss me. It doesn’t take long for me to crave more of him and tug his hair, begging for him to come closer and he does by a step, his feet practically on top of mine. Our lips move in sync, with his tongue tracing my bottom lip quickly before he pulls away, his eyes bright as ever. “That was a really good kiss,” he breathes.
“Mhmm,” I hum.
“Um, it’s getting cold; do you want to go in?”
“Sure.” My head is spinning, so when I grab the water hose I spray myself by accident and let out a squeal.
“Nice one.”
“Shut up,” I snap and spray the fire until the flames are out. I stumble through the backdoor and inside where I find the house empty. I guess Miles really did go get bacon.
“Let’s watch a movie,” he says.
“Okay.” I stick the movie 10 Things I Hate About You in the DVD player and go to the couch but he’s already stretched across it, taking up the whole couch. “Move over.”
“I’m comfy,” he whines.
“Fine then.” I fall back with our bodies pressed together, ignoring his arm wrapping around my shoulders and his legs tangling in mine. And I’m really trying to ignore his lips brush against my cheek. “I can’t do this.” I jump up and release a loud breath I didn’t know I was holding.
“Do what?” He sits up calmly, looking up at me through his lashes.
“This. We flirt, we fight, we kissed! We’re a couple in a way, but you don’t date and I won’t be your toy, Will.”
“I never asked you to be my toy.” He stands up to face me. “I never asked you to be my girlfriend either though.”
“Thanks,” I huff.
“Because you’re right, I don’t date. But I want too.”
“No you don’t.”
“Yes I do Anne! I don’t know why, but I do. I love the way you’re inappropriate around people and you don’t even care. I love how you get mad and your eyebrows scrunch and that you’re so protective over your best friend and you’re so good with Bay. Anne, I love how you’re so snarky but also the sweetest girl I know. And yeah I did get jealous about you and Danny and I don’t get jealous, but I can’t stand seeing you smile and laugh with someone other than me. I hate it. Anne, please don’t make me live without you.” He’s stepped closer now where I can hear his staggering breath perfectly.
“Will-”
“I need you Anne, please be my girlfriend.”
My mouth says yes before my brain registers it and then his lips are tackling mine and I’m so surprised I stumble backwards, with a chuckle coming from both of us.
“Hey now,” Miles says walking in the front door.
“Shut up and eat your bacon,” I hiss.
“I will.” He smirks and goes to the kitchen and he actually begins fixing the bacon.
“I have to work tomorrow, so I should go,” Will says.
“I’m off tomorrow,” I reply.
“Good; bring me lunch.”
“I’ll think about it.”
“Good enough. Goodnight, love.” He kisses my cheek and squeezes my hand before walking out.
“I don’t want to hear one word,” I say to Miles who’s already started to laugh at me. I don’t need this constant harassing from him, no matter how much I love him so I stalk to my bedroom and curl up in the bed, reading Harry Potter for the tenth time until I doze off.

There’s no denying how good Will looks, especially when he’s working. I admire him for another ten seconds before I enter the store with a bag in my hand. His eyes finally find mine and he jogs over to give me a kiss. “I brought you lunch,” I say.
“And she comes through for me,” he says taking the sandwich out of the bag. “Thanks.”
“No problem. Miles and I are going to the mall today, so call me when you get off.”
“Why are you going to the mall?”
“I need some clothes are other things and he said he’d go with me.”
“Oh. Well, have fun.”
“I’ll surely try.” I smile as he presses me against the counter and kisses my nose. I kiss his nose back in response, but my eyes travel over to the door where Danny and the red head walk in, hand in hand. Those two are the most punk, but perfect couple I’ve ever seen. Their tattoos and piercings match well with each others.
“Hey,” Danny says.
“Danny,” Will says standing in front of me.
“Anne,” he says with a smirk.
“Hey Danny,” I reply with a smile. “And red head again.”
“Molly,” she says and shakes my hand. “I never got the chance to introduce myself.”
“Anne.”
“I know. You’re the topic of this week’s episode of gossip,” she gives a laugh but I just raise my eyebrow. “Anyway, are you two dating?”
“Yes.”
“I told you.” She winked at me and then her gaze goes to Will. “Looking good.”
“Okay, enough. There’s a party tonight if you’re interested,” Danny says to us but I know it’s directed at me and the gleam in his eyes makes me clear my throat and glance away. If him and Molly are dating, why is he flirting with me right in front of her and Will?
“Yeah, not happening,” Will says.
“I asked both of you.”
“She’s not going either.”
“Do you control her?”
“No,” Will snaps glaring at me before I can intervene and tell him no on controls me. “But she has plans.”
“Fine. If you change your mind, you know where to find me.” He winks at me and walks out with Molly.
Once they’re gone Will glances at me. “No,” he says.
“I didn’t say anything,” I defend.
“Well, you’re not going.”
“I didn’t want too.”
“Okay, good.”
“Call me when you get out of your sour mood.” I push away from him and walk around the counter, making my way to the door. Before I reach it he latches onto my arm, leaving me irritated and sighing. “What?” I snap and turn to face him.
“I’m not in a sour mood; I’m protective,” he states with his eyes drawn to slits. “I don’t want you going out and partying with him, especially because it’s with him.”
“So I can’t hang out with any guys now?”
“You can hang out with Miles.” He gives a lopsided smile that’s absolutely adorable.
“But he’s not really a guy. Not to me anyway. He cried when a spider was in the bathtub last month.”
“So, he’s perfect. I’ll pick you up- or, I’ll walk you home when you guys get done.”
“Um, I’ve been thinking about what you said the other night and I want to try it; riding in a car. Will you pick me up from the mall?” I play with his fingers without meeting his eyes.
“Absolutely.” He grins and shows off his dimples, going in for a kiss but a customer comes in and he gives me a pouty lip. “I have to go.”
“Me too.” I run a finger over his lip before I slip outside and ride my bike back home to find Miles.
The thought of riding in a car haunts me all day, but I refuse to tell Miles what’s going on. I don’t want to talk about it until I know I won’t chicken out. When I walk outside and tell Miles bye I have three bags in my hand filled with three shirts, a pair of jeans, two C.D.’s and a new coffee cup.
The familiar black escalade pulls up in front of the mall ten minutes later and Will jumps out, jogging over to me and taking the bags from me. “It’s freezing out here,” he says. “Get in the car.” He throws my bags in the backseat and then loads my bike up in the very back.
It is pretty cold; I forget that fall is slowly turning into winter. When I first met him it wasn’t this cold out here, but that was at least a month ago. With a deep breath I climb into the passenger seat.
“You okay?” he asks turning on the heat.
“Yeah,” I reply. Just when I think I can do this, the memory of the night starts to make its way to me. “I can’t do this.” I feel around for the door handle, keeping my eyes closed, trying to contain the panic attack that’s coming.
“Anne,” he says softly, taking my hand in his. “Anne, we’re driving, see? Open your eyes love, and see that everything’s okay.”
I slowly open my eyes and watch the mall slowly pass by the window and then he pulls out of the parking lot, onto the road, driving slowly and still holding my hand.
“How are you doing?” he asks.
“Actually, I’m good,” I reply.
“See? Just trust me.”
Despite the cold, I roll down the window and hang my head out slightly, feeling the cold hair hit hard against my face. I’m riding in a car; I’m actually doing this and I can’t help but think my parents would be so proud. Obviously, there’s no hiding my smile so I let out a scream and turn up the radio which is playing a new Fall Out Boy song.
Will gives a throaty laugh and squeezes my hand. “Let’s just drive around, yeah?” His eyes dance when I give a huge smile. And then we just drive and drive, all night. Nothing has ever felt so good and I’ve never felt more alive. I got over my fear all thanks to him and for that, I love him.
We drive so much his gas tank goes past empty and the car dies right before we get to the gas station. “Seriously? I can see the gas station!” he yells, throwing his hands in the air all dramatic like.
“Will, just walk up there,” I say.
His eyes give me a glare. “Fine,” he huffs. “It’s just so cold.”
“I’ll go.” I jump out and walk to the back of his car and open the hatch.
“What are you doing?” he asks, obviously irritated as he walks around to meet me.
“Getting my bike so I can ride up there. It’s not far.”
“No. Get in the car where it’s warm.” He grabs a small plastic gas container from his car and pulls his jacket tighter around him. His eyes travel down the sidewalk to a group of guys walking towards us, obviously drunk. A gleam in his eyes makes my stomach flip. “Get in the car and lock the doors,” he mutters. He practically walks on top of me as I go to the passenger seat and slide in; his glare not fading away until I’ve locked the doors, twice.
He turns to look at the guys once more before jogging down the road to the gas station. I’m still trying to get used to the fact that he’s so protective to when I first met him and he didn’t care about anything. It takes him ten minutes to get back to the car and when he returns he looks irritated, but he fills the car up and climbs back in the driver’s seat.
“Why so grumpy?” I ask.
“It’s freezing; you’d think it start snowing any minute.”
“Well, it won’t be long.”
“Yeah, I know. Jesus, I’m exhausted and hungry. Home?”
“Sure.” I let my head fall onto the cold window, but the heat blows on my face keeping me warm until he pulls into the parking lot of the apartment buildings. I wasn’t aware he meant his home when he said home, but now that I think about it, it seems like home to me.
Miles calls me as I jump out of the car. “Yeah?” I say. Wow; he was right it is freezing.
“You haven’t made it home, its forty degrees outside and I’m coming to get you.”
“That won’t be necessary.”
“Where are you?”
“At Will’s. He picked me up.” I ignore Will’s questioning look and follow him inside the building and into the elevator.
“In a car? You rode in a car?”

“Um, yeah.”
“Anne… I’m so happy for you.”
“Thank you.” I roll my eyes at Will as he stares at me, silently begging for me to tell him who I’m talking too, so he rolls his in return and unlocks the door. “I’m staying at Will’s tonight.”
“Okay, see you tomorrow. I love you. Don’t eat each other’s face.”
“Shut up, but I love you too,” I grumble and hang up. Will’s eyes snap over to me and his eyebrows scrunch, which is just something else that makes him look adorable. “It was Miles chill. Even though I like that you get so jealous.”
“I’m not- shut up.” He walks to the kitchen and fixes a bowl of fruity pebbles. “I wasn’t jealous, I was just wondering who you were saying I love you too,” he reassures.
“Why keep up the act that you don’t get jealous? Because you do. Over me. Over Bay. You probably even get jealous if someone has a better coffee cup than you.”
“I think that’s your department babe.” He sticks a spoonful of cereal into his mouth as Bay prances down the hall, coming over to me and sitting beside my foot. His shoulders straighten and he gives a confused look down at Bay, confirming I’m right. “Bay, come here,” he says, but she stays put.
I let out a loud laugh and walk over to the couch with Bay sitting beside me. “How about a movie?” I ask her. “What about…” My eyes travel to the glass doors, with the curtains open to reveal the city lights and if I’m not mistaken, I see snow. “Will!” I shriek and run over to the sliding doors, flinging one open and stepping out onto the balcony.
“What’s wrong?” he asks running out beside me.
“It’s snowing!”
“It’s too early for snow.”
“Will, its November.” I hold out my hand and let flakes fall on it. “I’m going outside.” I run past him and go to the door, slipping my combat boots on and flying out the front door, down the flight of stairs and outside where the snow has picked up.
I twirl around, letting the snow hit me in the face. I hear him sighing as he makes his way to me and places a blanket around my shoulders.
“You’re going to get sick,” he says.
“I know, but it’s the first snow of year, I have to enjoy it.”
“Well, you can freeze then. I’m going inside.” He walks away and back in the building, so I give a huff and walk through the parking lot. “Fine,” he grumbles and I hear the door close as he makes his way back to me.
“You’re joining me?”
“Well, I’m not leaving you alone.”
“By morning maybe it’ll be covered.”
“One can only hope. Can we please go in? It’s freezing.”
“Fine, fine.” I follow him back to his apartment with my toes and hands frozen.
He gets a fire going in the fireplace and changes into pajamas, tossing me his t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts. “You can sleep in that.”
“Thanks.” I slip in the bathroom and change quickly. When I walk back out the living room has a more inviting feel to it, with the lights low and the fire going along with the city lights shining through the glass door. “It looks nice in here.”
“So do you.” He gives a cheeky grin and stands up from the fireplace to kiss my cheek. “Cold?”
“No.”
“Yes.” He leads me to the fireplace and pushes me on the ground to sit on the rug, which is unbelievably soft. “So, I’m glad you rode in a car with me today.”
“I am too,” I say.
He leans his elbow on the brick and leans towards me more with a smile. “You’re beautiful.”
“As are you.”
He chuckles lightly. “No, darling, I’m not.”
“I think you are. Inside and out.” I trace his lip with my finger and then go to his jaw, up to eyebrows and over his nose.
“You obviously don’t know me well enough.”
“I do know you and I know you’re beautiful inside and out, especially, with your dimples,” I smirk as his cheeks redden a bit. “I think that’s what I fell in love with first,” I blurt out. When I realize what I said I glance up at him, but he doesn’t seem freaked out, he seems pleased.
“My dimples?”
“Yeah. And your eyes; they’re so bright and pretty, like the stars. And your laugh and how you don’t really care what people are doing around you; you just do your own thing. Your style is by far my favorite style I’ve ever seen. And smoking is gross and bad; I’ve never found it attractive until I met you. I also never realized I could love someone until you.”
“You love me?” he whispers.
“Yeah; I think I do.”
He pushes a piece of hair behind my ear and kisses me hard. “I think I love you too,” he breathes. His breath smells like cigarettes and fruity pebbles, but I don’t mind. “I love your smile, especially when I’m the one to cause it and how you laugh so hard at the most vulgar things. You don’t care what people think, if you want to do it, you’re going to do it. You’re so blunt, but so caring and Anne, honestly I’ve never had real feelings for a girl before. It seemed like a waste of time, but then I met you.”
“How cliché,” I laugh but I’m so happy still.
“I love that too. No matter what I say, you think its cliché, but baby I can’t help it, you bring out the romance novels in me.”
I laugh but that’s the sweetest thing he’s ever said, so I tackle him to the ground and attack his jaw with delicate kisses. “Don’t ever leave me,” I whisper.
“I would never dream of it,” he whispers back and kisses my nose.
I roll over on my back and he lies on side, holding himself up with his elbow and peers down at me. “I’m so glad I met you.”
I smile up at him. “Likewise love, but I’m starving. Can we get something to eat?”
“What would you like?” he asks and stands up, swiftly walking to the kitchen. “I have pretty much everything.”
So he fixes us each a grilled cheese and we sit down by the fire with Bay asleep at his side. And we just ramble until two in the morning about our favorite movies, to bands, to books and other things. Each time he discussed something new to me, it gave me a new reason to fall in love with him, but before I could tell him that, he dozed off with his breathing heavy and his fingers intertwined in mine. I kissed his cheek before I snuggled up to him and did the same.

It’s been three weeks since Will and I started dating. I practically live at his house now, which makes Miles happy and irritated because he gets the house to himself but I also rarely see him now. So today I’m dedicating my entire day and half the night to him to make up for it.
I walk through my front door with snowflakes littering my hair and smile at the sight of Miles on the couch. “Hey,” I say.
His head turns slightly to reveal his tired eyes and greasy hair. He looks at me, but it’s as if he’s looking through me. “Hey,” he replies.
“Jesus, you’re wrecked. What happened?”
“I haven’t showered in two days and I’ve been up all night.”
“Why on earth?”
“This new game came out and-”
“Stop.” I hold my hand up and kick off my shoes. “Go shower and then let’s do something.”
“Give me twenty minutes.” He jumps up and sprints to the bathroom.
It takes him an hour because he’s so tired and finally I get irritated and strip his shirt off, throwing a hoodie at him that he puts on without complaining. He practically pushes me out the door, even though I’ve been waiting on him this whole time and he closes the door for me once I climb in his car.
“Where too?” I ask.
“Tacos and then I’m not sure,” he says as he pulls off the sidewalk in front of our house.
“How about we go ice skating?”
“You know I’m terrible at that,” he grumbles.
“I know.” I grin and then we’re off to get tacos. We eat on the way to the ice skating ring which is on the other side of town.
Miles is actually terrible at ice skating, absolutely terrible. I’m all right; I can at least stay on my feet, but he falls six times just walking onto the ice, so he gives up and goes to buy hot chocolate.
“C’mon Miles,” I whine.
“I’m good,” he says holding up a hand.
“No. Now,” I demand. He rolls his eyes, but he joins me back on the ice and I have to hold his hand for him to stay up, like a little kid. After another hour of him falling and me making jokes about him he refuses to stay another minute, so we each get another hot chocolate and leave.
“Where too?” Miles asks while holding a hand in front of the vent.
“Go by the music store. I left my phone with Will,” I reply.
“All right. Hey is this cold?” He places his freezing hand on my neck causing me to jump out of my skin. He laughs uncontrollably.
“Don’t do that!” I swat his hand away and turn the heating vents on me.
We pull up at the music store and he parks next to the sidewalk in front of the store. We walk in and I smile when I see Will even though his back is to me, but when he moves a little to wash down the counter I see Matt standing there talking to him and I stop.
“Are you going to ditch her yet?” Matt asks obviously irritated.
“No,” Will says.
“Why? That was the deal. You get her to fall for you and then you break her-”
“That way you can be the hero and get back at Miles. I got it,” he snaps.
“Then what’s the problem?”
By now my breathing has completely stopped and I’m frozen in place watching these two boys discuss their secret plan about me.
“I got to her first,” Will shrugs.
“You knew her a day before we made the deal. It’s been almost two months; you need to do it today.”
“I know Matt.”
Tears stain my cheeks and my feet are running towards him without my brain agreeing. “Anne stop,” Miles yells. His voice gets Will and Matt’s attention and they both turn to face me.
Will stares at me with wide eyes and then sighs, letting his head drop like he knew this was going to happen. He doesn’t even say anything when I approach him, because he knows.
“How could you?” I spit.
“Anne, I love you. Don’t listen to Matt or me actually. Ignore what we said; you know I love you.”
My hand flies up and slaps him across the face quickly before I run into Miles’ chest. We need to leave before I break down into a sobbing mess right here. And I can’t break down right here because then they both win.
“Come on,” Miles says into my hair.
“Anne, please,” Will begs and latches onto my hand.
“Don’t think I’m above breaking your hand,” Miles snaps and pulls me out the door. He pushes me into the car and closes the door behind me quickly and then sprints to his side, taking off instantly. I’m sure it’s because Will is right behind us.
I break down soon as we begin driving down the street and I keep sobbing until I’m choking and start banging on the door for him to let me out. He pulls off on the side of the road while I throw up into the dead grass.
“Anne,” he pleads from the driver’s side of the car.
“I’m fine, I’m fine,” I mumble and climb back into the seat.
“Calm down. You just made yourself sick.”
“I know Miles.”
“Let’s go home and I’ll fix you some hot chocolate, yeah?”
“Sure.”
He gives a sympathetic smile and places a hand on my knee, giving it a small squeeze of reassurance but I don’t feel reassured, I feel like dying.
I go straight to the couch and fall on it when we walk inside. Miles goes to the kitchen and begins fixing hot chocolate like he promised. I sigh and walk to my room to change into sweats and a plain white t-shirt and as I walk back into the living room I hear a knock on the door. I regret opening the door when I see Will’s face. His hand slams against the door before I can shut it.
“Just let me explain,” he says.
“Okay,” I say.
“Yes, I made a deal with Matt to make you like me and then break you so he could be the hero or whatever. He wanted to piss of Miles and he knew dating you would do it. He came to me after we had coffee and then he saw us so he came to work and we made a deal. I didn’t know you, so I had no problem with helping him out. But Anne, I swear right after that night in the music store when I got to know you, the sad you, the sleepy you, I wanted to call off the deal.”
“Why didn’t you?” I ask.
“I didn’t think my feelings were real. I don’t get feelings for girls; I didn’t anyway.”
“Too cool to date; forgot,” I half laugh through the new tears which I wipe away quickly.
He steps up to the doorframe and comes closer to me. “Falling in love with you was never part of the plan,” he whispers, “It just happened and I know I messed up and I should have told you, but I didn’t know how. Honestly I thought Matt forgot about it. It’s been two months.”
“Well, he didn’t and I’m not going to either.”
“Anne, don’t do this.”
“I’m sorry.”
That’s when he drops to his knees and clasps his hands together, looking up at me through his lashes. “I’ll do anything if you just stay with me.”
“I can’t trust you.”
I have never seen anyone look so destroyed so fast. His head drops and he just sits there on his knees for a moment and I feel guilty, but why should I? He brought this upon himself. When he stands up tears fill his eyes and he bites his lip, refusing to look me in the eye. “Okay, I’ll go home and then when everything settles, we can talk about this, all right?”
“No, Will.”
“I’ll come back tomorrow or in a couple days. I’ll give you some space.”
“Will, we’re ov-”
“Don’t say it, please don’t say it.”
“We’re over.”
“Anne, I can’t do this without you.”
“I guess you’ll have to learn.”
“Okay,” he says so quietly I barely hear him. He digs in his pocket and pulls out my phone, placing it in my hand. “You left this at my house.”
“Thanks. See you around.” I shut the door in his face and slide into the floor, letting the tears fall. He looked so hurt and he did look sorry, but I can’t trust him now. I should have never gone to get coffee with him. He was a freaking stranger, what possessed me to go get coffee with him? And now I’m crying and heartbroken over a stupid guy just like every other girl in the world.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I’m so stupid!
“Anne,” Miles says quietly.
I raise my head and look at him holding two mugs filled with hot chocolate and marshmallows. I laugh and wipe my tears away before scrambling to my feet and plopping down on the couch next to him. I snuggle up to him and cry myself to sleep on his shoulder.

It’s only been two days since Will and I broke up and with each minute that passes, the depression gets worse, but I’ve learned to deal with it and hide it. So when Danny walks over to me in the coffee shop I fake a smile and say hello.
“You look different,” he says.
“Uh… thanks?” I say.
“You just look tired is all. So, how have you been?”
“Swell.”
“Good. So, there’s a…” He leans down to my ear and whispers, “Rave tonight.”
“Really now?”
“Yes. And I know where. All you have to do is say yes.”
“Are you asking me out?”
“I believe so.”
“Danny…” My eyes travel out the window where Will stands on the sidewalk staring at us with his hands stuffed in his pockets and I suddenly want him to feel horrible and embarrassed like he made me feel. I stare back at Danny and give him the biggest smile I can manage. “I’d love to go with you. Call me with the details.” I scribble my number on his hand with a pen off the counter before I smile and walk out feeling accomplished.
“So, you and Danny then?” Will asks coming up beside me.
“What about us?” I ask avoiding his stare.
“Nothing. Um, can we talk?”
“No.”
“Please don’t go out with him.”
“It’s one night, Will.”
“Fine. But this is the last time I’m going to ask for you. It’s me or him.”
“You’re being so immature!” I scream and turn to face him. “You lie to me and you embarrass me and you expect me to forgive you just like that and take you back with open arms? Are you insane?” I yell, getting the attention of people around us.
“I know I messed up Anne; I’m trying to fix it, but you won’t let me.”
“You’re right. I won’t. Leave me alone.”
He grabs my hand. “Anne.”
“No!” I flip the lid off my coffee and pour the cup over his head, drenching his body in my frappe. His shoulders hunch and he just stares at me, fuming mad. I honestly didn’t mean for that to happen, he just made me so mad I couldn’t help it. There’s no taking it back now, even though I do feel a little satisfaction. He’s obviously really pissed but we both stand there frozen, staring at each other.
“I can’t believe you just did that,” he says.
“I didn’t-I’m sorry-I just got mad and-um…”
“That’s a nice look,” Danny says with a smirk as he appears out of literately nowhere. His eyes gleam as they go from Will to me. “Can I walk you home?”
I can’t speak, so I just nod and walk away from Will with Danny’s hand pulling me along. Why did I do that? And why am I letting Danny walk me home?
“I take it you two aren’t dating anymore then?” Danny says.
“No,” I reply.
“I can’t blame you. He can be a jerk sometimes.”
“Yeah.” My head is clouded with thoughts as we walk down the sidewalk to my house. When we stop in front of it he lingers with a smirk.
“I’ll see you tonight.”
“What time?” I ask.
“I’ll pick you up at eight.”
“Okay.” I didn’t expect him to kiss my cheek, but he did. I also didn’t expect to go through with the whole rave thing with him tonight, but here I am in his car on the way to the rave.
Danny dresses in a bright white t-shirt and dark black skinny jeans with his Vans. His shirt glows when we enter the building from all the neon lights. I’ve never been to a rave and I’m beyond excited. For one night I’m going to forget about Will and the hurt he’s put me through and I’m going to enjoy myself.
Loud dubstep blares around mixing with the screams from the crowd and it’s so colorful. Danny told me to dress for the place, but I had no idea how to dress so I went with a tie-dyed t-shirt and skinny jeans with my black Vans which match his.
People are everywhere and trust me; even that’s an understatement. I have never in my life seen so many people at once. And I’ve also never wanted to be a part of a crowd so bad before. The stage is a mile away, but I’m determined to make it up there or at least to the middle. Laser lights flash around and people are throwing glow sticks around. I want a glow stick.
The brown haired guy to my right that’s shirtless and covered in paint holds four glow sticks so I tap his shoulder and point to one since he probably won’t be able to hear me. He gives me two and then screams before running into the crowd.
“Babe, let’s go up some!” Danny shouts and I nod. He locks fingers with me and pulls us through the crowd. Along the way I snatch three more glow sticks. Ha!
The music blares and I begin dancing wildly with the group of girls next to me. Paint explodes into the audience and I get plastered with it so I let out a scream with the rest of the crowd. Danny seems pleased as he stares at me with a huge grin. Paint covers his body and a splash of blue is on his cheek, so with a giggle I reach up and wipe it off.
Girls to my right climb on their boyfriend’s shoulders and throws glow sticks into the crowd and I suddenly envy them so I look up at Danny who reads my mind and smirks. He leans down and I climb onto his shoulders. Wow I can see everything so much better here. Neon lights, laser beams, paint, and confetti.
More paint blast into the crowd and I welcome it with open arms. Who would’ve thought I would have so much fun with Danny at a rave?
When I get off his shoulders I see his face is covered in paint and mine probably is as well. Before I can stop him, he takes my face in his hands and kisses me. The adrenaline makes me kiss him back, but once realization hits me I stumble back into the guy behind me who turns around and smiles.
“Sorry,” I yell.
“It’s cool! Dance with me?” he yells.
“No thanks.”
“C’mon, dance with me!” He grabs my hand and my head is officially spinning out of control because I ball my fist up and throw it in face. First coffee on Will and now I’m punching dudes in the face? He looks confused when I stare at him with wide eyes and the two guys next to me punch each other and that’s when I realized I just started a freaking moshpit.
Yep. Time to leave. I push through the crowd and attempt to get far away from the flying fist. “Danny!” I scream even though he can’t hear me. “DANNY!” I shove people out of the way in attempt to find him and then I slam into his chest.
“There you are,” he says in my ear, “Let’s go.” He grips my hand and we push and shove until we’re outside in the parking lot beside his car.
We stare at each other for a moment before exploding into laughter. “That was crazy!” I gasp.
“I can’t believe you punched a guy in the face!” he laughs.
“You’re covered in paint,” I laugh and attempt to wipe it off his face, but his hands clamp over my wrist and the air is suddenly very still. There’s no time to think about it and I’m sure that’s what he wanted because he didn’t want me shoving him away before he could kiss me. But even when he did kiss me, I didn’t shove him away. I kissed him back and we just made out, covered in paint with adrenaline pumping through our veins and I knew right there that he is exactly what I didn’t want.
He takes me home while we blare some type of DJ music. I hang out the sunroof and scream because I’m pretty sure someone slipped something in my drink. By the time he pulls up at my house my hair is everywhere, dry paint is all over me, and I’m tripping over my own feet.
“All right party girl, let’s take it down a notch,” Danny says walking me to my front door.
“That was so much fun!” I squeal.
“Good. We’ll have to do it again sometime.” He grins.
“Yes!” I jump up and down before I throw my arms around him and kiss him forcefully.
He chuckles against my lips and pulls away. “I’ll see you tomorrow, all right?”
“Okayyy.” I grin stupidly and stumble inside to see Miles standing in front of the fridge. He turns to face me with a raised eyebrow. “Milessss!” I yell.
“Are you drunk?”
“No man, we went to a rave. A rave.”
“Go to bed now. Who took you to a freaking rave?”
“Danny!” I squeal as he shoves me into my bedroom.
“Go to sleep,” he grumbles as I flop onto the bed. Why is he so grumpy? He needs to go to a rave so he’ll be chill like I am. Whatever; I kick off my shoes and stare at the ceiling until it slowly fades.

“Danny!” I yell when I spot his back to me on the sidewalk when I get off work. We’ve been hanging out for a week every day and we kiss and hold hands, so I guess we’re a couple now. That wouldn’t be a problem if I weren’t in love with Will. Speaking of Will, I haven’t seen him since the coffee incident and I’m glad because it makes it easier to get over him.
Danny spins around and faces me with his eyebrows scrunched and his phone in his hand. He’s not the perfect boyfriend, but he’s okay I guess. He gets mad at me a lot and overreacts to everything. He always wants to party and rarely listens to me, but he’s hot and going to parties make Will fade for the night.
“Hey,” he says when I approach.
“Hey; what are you doing?”
“Nothing. Let’s go to lunch.” He locks fingers with me and pulls me along, but it begins to snow and I stop on the sidewalk.
“Danny!” I squeal.
“Yeah?”
“It’s snowing!”
“Okay.” He’s in a really bad mood today.
“It’s snowing!” I repeat again and hold my tongue out, catching flakes on the tip. His cold fingers wrap around my arm and he tugs me towards him. “Ow, what are you doing?” I snap.
“I’m hungry,” he states.
“Okay.” I jerk my arm away and glare at him. “Don’t grab me like that.”
“Well, come on.”
“What is your problem lately? You’ve been a total jerk since we got together and I’m getting really tired of it.”
“Okay. Can we go now?”
“Never mind. I’m going home.” When I turn around I’m face to face with Molly and my breath hitches in throat. “You scared me,” I blurt out.
“Sorry babe. What’s going on here?” she asks looking at Danny.
“She’s being stubborn and won’t come with me,” Danny grumbles.
“I told you not to grab me like that,” I snap.
“Molly, let’s go,” Will yells from some store a few feet down. When she doesn’t move he rolls his eyes and jogs over to us. “Molly, we need to go.”
“I’m talking to Anne,” she replies.
My eyes glue to Will’s face and I suddenly want to cry forever. His stare goes to Danny and then finally to me. “So, you two are dating then?”
“Yeah,” I answer weakly.
“Cool. Molly, come on.”
“Fine,” she answers and waves at me before they turn and walk off.
Cool? He says cool to that? I guess he really doesn’t care. He’s done trying with me and I don’t know why I expected anything differently. It was all bull in the first place. I guess I was just hoping somewhere behind the ‘deal’ and the lies he actually had feelings for me, like I did him.
With a sigh I take Danny’s hand and walk with him to get lunch. Afterwards he takes me back to his place and I didn’t realize he lived with Matt, Razor, and some random guy I’ve never met.
“This is Dave,” Danny says.
“Anne,” I say to the tall brunette boy. He doesn’t have any tattoos like Danny and Razor. Even Matt has a couple tattoos down his arm. He seems totally normal compared to them, dressed in a plaid shirt and light jeans. His brown hair is short. He’s cute in a preppy kind of way.
“Dave,” he replies, “Welcome to our crappy home.” He holds up a peace sign and walks out the front door. Well, he’s pleasant.
“Yeah, he’s not fun. Let’s go upstairs,” Danny says, so I follow him upstairs. In the extra bedroom there’s a sink and a mini fridge and lots of boxed food. He’s set it up like a kitchen so in the middle of the night he doesn’t have to walk downstairs.
His room is painted grey and black with a king size bed and it’s extremely messy. His small trashcan overflows into the floor and dirty clothes litter the floor beside his bed.
“You should clean up,” I state.
“You should get off my back,” he replies leaving me glaring at him. He takes in my facial expression and sighs. “Sorry.” He flops onto the bed and pulls me down with him. His lips find mine quickly. I don’t retreat as much I’d like too, because he makes me forget about Will for the time being and the fact that Will didn’t even care that that me and Danny were dating. He doesn’t care about me at all.
Anger boils over in me and I pull Danny tighter to try and make him disappear out of my mind for good. It’s not working. I fling up and rake a hand through my hair. “Sorry,” I breathe.
“It’s cool,” he replies.
“Um, I’m gonna go home. See you tomorrow?”
“Yeah.”
“Okay.” I get up and run down the stairs and outside. It takes me almost an hour to get home since I’m walking and its freezing. When I pass the music store I stop and peer inside. They close soon, so Will probably won’t even be there. Dan might close tonight, but I open the door and walk in anyway.
“We’re closed!” Will yells from the back of the store. When he doesn’t hear the bell on the door clink again he spins around and sits the box down on the ground. “I said we’re closed.” He walks up to the front where I stand and suddenly stops. “Oh.”
“Hey,” I say.
“Hey,” he replies.
“Um…”
“Why are you here?”
“I don’t know.”
“Okay, well-”
“Will!” Molly yells and walks out of the backroom and up to him. She hands him a C.D. without even noticing me. “Found it.”
“Thanks.”
Her eyes travel to me and she raises her eyebrows. “My bad. Interrupting; got it.” She backs away and disappears into the dark.
“So, you and Molly then?” I question.
“Nah.”
“Okay.”
“Why are you walking this late at night when it’s freezing outside?” he questions.
“I just left Danny’s and-”
“He didn’t offer to bring you home?” he snaps.
“No.”
“Okay.” He walks away and goes into the backroom where Molly is without another word. What was that about? I’m not going to stand here and embarrass myself anymore, so I spin around on my heels and walk out. Halfway past the store Will’s hand is on my shoulder. I turn and stare at him confusingly.
“Let me drive you home,” he says.
“But you-”
“We’re not reliving the first day we met Anne; now get in the car.”
I can’t help but smile as I nod and follow him to the car. Silence fills the air, but at least I’m with Will again. Being with Will is so much better than being with Danny, because Will actually appreciates me. Or, he did. I don’t know about now.
We reach my house and he looks over at me. “Well, we’re here.”
“So we are,” I reply.
“It was good to see you.”
“You too.”
“Goodbye Anne.”
“Goodbye Will.” Tears spill over as I walk up to my house because something is telling me that goodbye had more than one meaning to it. It takes hours to fall asleep after that, so I lay in my bed and stare into the darkness.
Danny and I have been together for almost two weeks now and I haven’t spoken to Will since he drove me home, which is good I guess. Danny still has anger issues that he likes to take out on me and he’s turned me pretty bitter, but I guess that’s what happens when you fall in love, get your heart broken, and date someone you hate.
I stay the night as Danny’s sometimes, which is awful. His friends are lowlife’s and they don’t know how to keep their hands to themselves, but I guess I didn’t expect much else from them being friends with Danny.
Miles disapproves of Danny majorly and I can’t blame him. Something tells me him and Will have been getting together and hanging out behind my back, but I honestly don’t care anymore.
Speaking of Miles, he left four days ago to stay at his dads in Baltimore for an early Christmas or something. He rarely sees his dad, so I’m happy for him; I just wish my life wasn’t such a mess when he left me alone.
This is my life now and it sucks yeah, but whatever.

I wake up in the middle of the night missing Will so much I can physically feel it, so I roll over and snuggle up to him.
“Hey babe,” he says.
I jerk back and fling my eyes open to Danny’s cold blue ones and inch away. “Hey.”
“You never snuggle up to me. Is something wrong?”
“No. I just um… I’m thirsty. I’ll be right back.”
“Get me some water,” he grumbles into the pillow and closes his eyes.
I slide out of the bed and go to the room he’s fixed up like a kitchen to drown myself in two bottles of water from the mini fridge before I break out in sobs. I miss Will. I miss him so much and I feel so stupid for letting him go so easily. The only thing that will make me feel better is to go home, but it’s freezing outside; too cold to walk and Miles is still out of town.
I stare at my phone and decide I should just call Will. He won’t be up and I can listen to his voicemail, which will at least satisfy my need to hear his voice and I can just tell him I sleep dialed him, right?
After the second ring he answers, his voice husky from lack of sleep and I freeze. “Um, hey,” I say in a whisper.
“Anne?” he says.
“Yeah.” His voice makes me feel relieved and depressed all at the same time.
“Honey, why are you calling me so late?”
“Um, I don’t know. I couldn’t sleep…”
He sighs in the background. “Where are you?”
“Danny’s,” I regretfully reply.
“I’m coming to get you.”
“No!” I shout and hope it didn’t wake Danny up. I turn to the doorway but I don’t see or hear anything. I’m sure he’s still snoring loudly and drooling anyway.
“Why not?” he growls, but still attempts to keep his voice calm.
“Because he’ll get mad at me,” I whisper.
“Not if I have anything to do it. I’ll be there soon.”
“Will-”
“This is the first time you’ve said my name in two weeks and now there is no stopping me. Be ready.” Click.
I just stare at my phone. What am I supposed to tell Danny? There’s no way he’ll go down without a fight so I take a deep breath and walk back into his room. He’s sprawled out across the bed tangled in the sheets. I chew on my lip and shove him until he wakes.
“Yeah?” he mumbles.
“I’m leaving,” I say.
“What?” He sits up and rubs the sleep out of his eyes.
“Yeah. Miles just got back in town.”
“It’s four in the morning, just go back to sleep.”
“No. I’m leaving.”
“Why are you so stubborn?” he grumbles.
“I’m not stubborn; I’m just leaving,” I defend. I grab my backpack and fling it over my shoulder quickly before stepping out of the bedroom and going down the stairs. His roommates are on the couch in the living room and when I enter they both turn to smile at me leaving me tempted to go back upstairs with Danny.
“Hey Anne,” Matt says.
“Why are you up so early?” Razor asks.
“She wants to party with the real men,” Dave says walking out of the kitchen.
“No, um, I’m leaving,” I answer.
“Leaving? So soon?” Matt says.
I have never been more terrified. Maybe it’s just because I’m weak and emotionally exhausted from missing Will and the fact that I haven’t slept in ages, but I’m so terrified of these boys and I’m ready to cry again.
“Sit down with us. We’re playing video games,” Razor says, but innocently.
“Yes, please,” Matt says with a grin that makes my stomach turn.
Razor’s eyes snap to Matt in an annoyed way and back at me, but they’re much softer. Wait, does he feel sympathy for me? He knows what’s about to happen and he’s not going to stop it.
Matt latches onto my wrist and pulls me down to the couch beside him. In response I slap him across the face. “Don’t touch me,” I hiss.
“Anne, we just want you to play with us.”
“No.” I stand up but he blocks me.
“Just have some fun. Want a drink?”
“Leave me alone.”
“Anne,” Danny calls running down the stairs. “Matt get away from her,” he grumbles and pulls me away from him, leaving me stumbling into his chest. “Don’t leave.”
“I need to go,” I answer.
“But I’m your boyfriend and I want you stay.”
“Danny, please,” I whine.
Matt’s eyes glued to me send shivers down my spine as he walks over to us and smiles sarcastically. “She said she didn’t want too. So, why don’t you chill down here instead?” Matt asks.
Oh my God I’m going to have a panic attack. It’s happening. I’m exhausted, I’m an emotional wreck and they’re making me nervous. And no one knows about my panic attacks, so they’re not going to know what’s happening and I won’t be able to calm down.
“Stop,” I choke and shove Matt’s chest. I stumble away from them and reach for my bag as the walls begin to spin.
“Anne,” they both call.
“No, don’t. I need to leave.” Deep breath, deep breath.
The door flings open and I jump back into the stairs, hitting my head on the stupid picture frame of Bob Marley. Will’s eyes skim past me and land on the four boys in front of him.
“What’s going on?” he growls.
“Why are you here?” Danny hisses.
Will’s jaw flexes and he balls his fist up at his side. “What did you do to her?” He rushes over and runs his hands down my arms quickly, but my breathing is still ceasing to become normal. “She’s having a freaking panic attack and you’re just sitting here playing video games?”
“Will, get out of my house! She’s my girlfriend now!” Danny shouts.
“I’m sorry?” Will snorts. He looks back at me as if deciding which person to tend too. “Just hold on babe, I’ll get you out of here.”
“Babe?” Danny hisses.
“If you think you are fit to be her boyfriend you are sadly mistaken. She loves me and you know it. We all know it; so stop pretending like you care about her and admit you’re just trying to piss me off,” Will angrily says.
“Regardless of what you think, she is with me now, so leave.”
Before I know it Will is taking a stride across the room and tackling Danny to the ground, throwing punches over and over until Danny is bleeding and half unconscious and Razor and Matt are pulling Will away from him.
When Will stands up Matt punches him in the eye, catching him totally off guard where he stumbles into the wall. But he recovers quickly and throws a fist in his stomach before kneeing him in the crotch and then glaring at Razor and Dave. Razor isn’t the nicest guy around, but he’s too nice for fighting, so he just awkwardly lingers, but Dave throws a fist at Will, who dodges it and slams his face into the wall.
Danny and Matt lay on the ground groaning and Dave just gave up. Razor glances at them and then at Will. “Tried to warn ‘em,” he says and takes a swig of his Monster.
Will wipes the blood of his mouth and takes my hand in his. “We’re leaving,” he demands and pulls me outside to the cold winter air. When we get to the sidewalk I drop to my knees and close my eyes, letting the cool air calm me down. My panic attack didn’t hit me like usual, so it was easier for it to go away. I guess I have Will to thank for that.
Will’s hand cup my face and I open my eyes to see his hazel ones staring at me. “Anne, are you okay?” he whispers.
“Yes. I just… panic attack,” I mumble.
“I know.” Silence. “Let’s get you home, yeah?”
I nod and let him lead me to his car. We don’t speak in the car; I’m not sure what to say really. We’ve been broken up and haven’t spoken in two weeks, so what am I supposed to do?
He pulls up at my house and turns off the engine. His hair lies across his fore-head with some strands tucked away under a beanie. He’s wearing a plain white shirt with gray sweatpants that hug his ankles and his gray Vans.
“Thanks,” I mumble.
“I’m coming inside,” he states and gets out of the car.
Okay then.
I walk around his car and up to my front door to let us both in. He kicks off his shoes, so I guess he’s staying a while. “Um, can I get you anything?” I ask.
“No, I’m fine,” he replies and locks the door behind him.
“Are you staying the night or something?”
“It’s already five in the morning.”
“I know, but are you staying for the reminder of the night?”
“I don’t know yet.” He walks over and stands beside me as I lean against the back of the couch. “So, how have you been?” he asks casually.
“Um… okay. You?”
“Good.”
“Oh, good.”
“I haven’t talked to you in two weeks; how do you think I’ve been?” he snaps suddenly leaving me speechless. He stands in front of me with his shoulders hunched and his body towering over mine. “You’ve been with him; letting him touch you and kiss you and cuddle you at night and you think I’ve been good? Because I haven’t.” His eyes have darkened, but it matches the dark circles under them.
“I haven’t been good either,” I say quietly and stare at my feet.
“Why?”
“Because I don’t like him.”
“He’s your boyfriend, isn’t he?”
“If that’s what you want to call it,” I scoff. I never thought of him as my boyfriend, because I hated kissing him and holding his hand. And I hate when he always tried to grope me and look cool in front of his friends. And how his friends were such creeps, but so is he so I guess it works out.
“That’s what I call it,” he snaps.
“Can we go back to your place and talk? Miles might get home soon.”
“No. Molly is there asleep.”
“Oh.”
His eyes snap up from the floor and stare into mine as he straightens up his posture. “Not like that.”
“No, I don’t care,” I say even though that just killed me.
He rolls his eyes. “She just crashed there because she didn’t want to go home with her drunken brother. We’re friends; I didn’t think it was a big deal.”
“It’s not.”
“I can tell her to leave.”
“Will, you’re not mine anymore. Do what you want.”
“Ouch.” He glances around the room and sighs. “We’re exhausted. Let’s just go to sleep and we’ll figure this out in the morning, all right?” He rubs his temples and walks into my bedroom, so I follow. He pulls off his beanie and throws it in the floor before climbing into bed and slipping under the covers.
I sigh but slide into bed beside him. I’m still in my baggy t-shirt and shorts from Danny’s so at least I don’t have to awkwardly leave to change. “Thanks for tonight, Will,” I say.
“Yeah.” I can’t see his expression in the dark, but I assume it’s solemn. “Hope you guys work it out.”
“Yeah, me too.” Actually, I don’t. I don’t want to work it out and I sure don’t want Danny as a boyfriend or anything else. But I’m not going to jump into anything since this is the first night I’ve talked to Will in two weeks.
“Goodnight Anne.”
“Goodnight Will.” I roll over where my back is to him and close my eyes. This night couldn’t get any worse.
A few minutes later I’m still wide awake when he gives a loud sigh and somehow I know he’s staring at the ceiling with one arm behind his head. The bed shifts and I think he’s going to leave, but I stiffen when he wraps an arm around my waist instead. “I love you, Anne,” he whispers into my ear and then I burst out in tears. “Why are you crying?” he says gently.
I turn over to face him. “I’ve missed you so much, Will. I didn’t want to date Danny; I just thought it would make you jealous and you would try to get me back but then you never tried so I just stuck with it-”
“I didn’t try, because I was trying to figure out if you were happy or not.”
“Of course I wasn’t happy Will!”
“I wasn’t either,” he murmurs.
“I missed you so much Will. I’m so sorry for everything and I don’t want to date Danny anymore, I don’t. He creeps me out and his friends creep me out and they all look at me like I’m the new prostitute for the night and-” I suck in a deep breath but choke on my tears.
“Calm down darling, please.”
“I can’t.”
“I’m sorry, Anne. I shouldn’t have made that stupid deal and I should have told you.”
“You didn’t even care!” I yell.
“Yes I did. But I love you and you love me. I knew we would come back together eventually. We can’t stay away from each other.” He smiles into the dark and wipes away my tears. “Quit crying, I’m here now.”
“But for how long?”
“For however long you want me, love.”
I inch closer and snuggle my head into his chest and force myself to quit crying, so I can breathe in his scent and enjoy finally being next to Will again. “Forever,” I say into his shirt.
“Then forever is how long I’ll stay.”
I wrap an arm around his neck and sloppily hug him.
“Get some sleep.” He leans down and gives me a slow kiss on the lips before pecking my cheek. “Goodnight.”
“I love you, Will.” I snuggle into his shirt, but we don’t sleep. We both stay silent for a while, listening to each other’s breathing, which is so relaxing and comforting. Even though he pretends he’s sleeping he draws circles with his finger on my hand.
Around six he rubs my back soothingly before whispering, “Hey.”
“Hey,” I reply.
“You should sleep.”
“So should you.”
“I’m okay,” he admits.
“Me too.”
His thumb runs over my bottom lip and I finally look up at his tired eyes. He does need sleep, because he’s never looked more exhausted. “When does Miles get back?” he asks.
“I don’t know; soon,” I answer.
“When are you going back to Danny’s?”
“Um, I don’t know.”
“I don’t want you too.” Before I reply he reaches over and grabs his ringing phone off the small table. “Yeah?” He runs a hand over his face and sighs. “Just leave it unlocked; it’ll be fine. Okay… what do you mean Bay won’t move?” he hisses. “Just go. I’ll be home soon.” He hangs up and tosses the phone back on the table.
“Everything okay?” I ask.
“Molly is leaving for work. She says Bay won’t move.”
“Go home.”
“I am. In a bit.” He rolls back over on his side and faces me. “We need to talk.”
“Please, no,” I beg, “I don’t want to talk about Danny or us or Molly or anything important. I want to pretend for one day none of that happened and the past two weeks aren’t real and I want to lay here and talk to you until I run out of topics.”
His eyes say this is a bad idea, but his lips turn into a small smile “All right. Talk,” he says.
“I would like to start off with apologizing for pouring coffee on you,” I say.
He chuckles and pushes my hair back. “I was mad, but I deserved it. I just never considered hey I’m doing something bad to a very snarky and insane girl. It was my fault really for not considering the consequences.”
“Whatever,” I laugh.
“Anne, I’m sorry.” His eyes don’t leave mine for a second. Not when he apologizes, not when he moves closer and not even when he leans down to kiss me. They do however close when he brings my hands to his chest, where our bodies press tightly together. “Anne, I’m so, so sorry,” he whispers.
“I know,” I whisper back.
“Please… just please stay with me. Don’t go back to him.”
It’s weird, because I never thought I would be able to feel someone else’s pain like this, but I do. Staring at Will’s pleading eyes and quivering lip, I feel the longing in his voice and the tears coming up like they’re my own. I guess because if I lost Will over some stupid deal I made with a friend I would feel like crap too. But for some idiotic reason I answer with, “I have too.”
“No you don’t!” He pushes me off of him and stands up beside the bed glaring down at me. “You don’t have to go back to him ever again!”
I stand up too on the opposite side of the bed. Now there’s a bed and so much tension between us. “He’s my boyfriend, Will! I can’t just ditch him. I have to at least explain.”
“No you don’t. Just stop talking to him.”
“I can’t do that. I have to see him and explain.”
“And when he asks about last night what will you tell him? That you called me crying because you missed me? That you still love me and he was just a distraction? What will you tell him, Anne?”
“I don’t know Will! I don’t know! I’ll figure it out!” I scream. I want to pull my hair out and slap him in the face as hard as I can and I don’t even know why. We were having such a good morning until he decided to start a fight out of nothing. “What do you want me to do, Will?”
“Nothing, Anne,” he grumbles and turns away from me. He picks up his beanie and puts it back on, which means he’s about to storm out.
“Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it.”
He spins around and stares at me. “Since when do you listen to what anyone says?”
“Since I’m tired of all this. Its’ exhausting Will. Trying to pretend I don’t love you and trying to pretend I actually like Danny and that I’m not falling apart. And I cry all the time now and I’m so tired of it, so Will just tell me what to do and I’ll do it,” I sigh.
“But you used to be so strong and didn’t listen to anyone and you were so stubborn.”
“Well, congratulations you broke me,” I huff.
“That’s not something I’m proud of.” He frowns and walks around the bed to hold my hands in his. “Do what you have to do, all right? If you have to go see him, do it. Marry him for all I care as long as you’re happy.”
“What if I want you instead?” I ask.
“If you’ll have me, I’m yours.” His arms wrap around my shoulders and my cheek falls to his chest. “I don’t deserve another chance, but I need one,” he whispers.
“Okay.” I pull away from him and stare into his tired but beautiful hazel eyes. “But I’m going to talk to Danny and I’m going to tell him it’s over. And you’re going to let me without throwing another temper tantrum. And then Miles will hopefully be home today, so we’re all three going to get some pizza and go to the arcade and blow our paychecks.”
“And she’s back!” He smiles at me with his eyes bright. Things will be okay. I’ll talk to Danny and everything will be good again, right?

Molly is already at Danny’s when I arrive. Is this girl everywhere I want to go lately? Danny sits on the porch with a cigarette and Molly standing beside him. Matt, Razor, and Dave sit in the chairs on the porch behind Danny, all with a cigarette.
Danny’s cold eyes rake down my body when I approach.
“Um hi,” I quietly say.
“Look who it is,” he says. His eye is black along with Matt’s. And Dave’s cheek is swollen.
“Yeah. I need to talk to you.”
“You know, after we all stopped bleeding and groaning, I went to Will’s to return the favor, but he wasn’t there. Where was he, Anne?”
“Um…”
“Your house, maybe?”
“Maybe.” He’s frightening, but I’m too pissed to play scared.
“Why’s that?” He throws his cigarette into the yard and stands up. Matt’s smug grin and Razor’s wide eyes inform me I should definitely be scared.
“He took me home. Look can we talk, please?”
“Talk.”
“Alone.”
“Trust me you don’t want to be alone with me right now.”
“Yeah; real scary.” My eyes shift to Molly who looks frightened but annoyed. Her eyes are slightly squinted and they don’t leave Danny and me.
“What do you want?” he grumbles.
“I’m… we’re over.” I spin around and walk away with speed. That didn’t turn out exactly like I planned, but it’s over with now, so that’s good. His nails dig into my skin when he grabs my arm. I turn and look up at his hatred-filled eyes.
“What do you mean we’re over?” he hisses.
“I mean, I’m done with you.”
“Because of Will?”
“No, because you’re rude and treat me horribly.”
He gives a loud and long laugh. “Me? Rude? Have you met you? You’re the rudest person I know. And it’s not just that; its’ Will.”
“It doesn’t matter, Danny. I’m going home now.”
“He doesn’t care about you,” he spits, “He was using you for Matt. He doesn’t love you and you know it. When you first met him, he said he didn’t date, remember? Why do you think he would change for you? Hate to break it to you, but you’re not that special.”
“I hate you.”
“Oh darling, the feeling is mutual.”
I pull my arm away quickly, which now holds nail indentions and blood. Tears sting in my eyes and I take off sprinting down the sidewalk. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew what he said is true. Will is just using me. I knew that the moment I heard about the deal they made. I was a pawn in their little game and now I feel more worthless than ever.
A small silver car pulls up beside me and I come to a halt when the window rolls down. “Get in,” Molly demands.
I climb in and awkwardly sit in discomfort with my hands in my lap. “Thanks,” I say.
“What did he say to you?”
“He said that Will doesn’t care about me and he’s just using me.”
“Honey, you know that’s a lie.”
“Is it?” I turn to face her with tears tempting to spill.
“Yes. When you guys broke up he showed up at my house, begging for advice and trust me he was a wreck.”
“Because I found out,” I scoff.
“Exactly. You don’t understand how much you mean to him. I told you a couple months ago, you could put emotion back in that boy and I was right.”
I half laugh. “Yeah, right.”
“Don’t believe me, but it’s true.” She turns up the heat and my hands begin defrosting. She doesn’t say another word about Will or anything else the rest of the drive. She just turns up the radio and asked me if I liked the band Papa Roach because apparently that’s one of her favorite. They’re not bad, but I wasn’t in a music kind of mood. The car comes to a halt in front of Will’s apartment.
“I wanted to go home,” I inform her.
“You are home,” she replies.
Her reply held so much meaning I don’t even try to stop the hug I’m giving her before climbing out of her car. I wave bye to her and stare at the building before dreadfully trudging up to his place.
I knock on Will’s door and awkwardly stand, waiting. I don’t know what I’m going to say to him and I don’t know what we are anymore, so I guess I’m screwed all the way around.
The door swings open and Will appears in a sweatshirt and skinny jeans with his hair sticking up slightly. “Anne,” he says.
“Yeah, hey,” I reply.
“Come in.” He steps aside as I walk past him and into his home. He closes the door behind me and we just stare at each other for a few seconds in silence. His eyes scan my body, but linger on my arm and I swear I see the hatred fill his eyes instantly. “Where did that come from?” he says in a sharp breath.
Danny’s nail marks obviously didn’t go unnoticed like I’d hoped. “Please don’t do anything,” I plead.
“He did that!” he explodes.
I flinch away, but I knew he’d blow up, so instead of waiting around to get lectured, I run to his room and lock the door behind me. I plop down in the dark closet and close the door. I’ve had so much to deal with today and enough yelling to last me a week. I hear him banging on his bedroom door, but I maintain my position in his closet floor.
“Anne, open this door!” he yells.
I don’t reply.
A loud crash makes me jump and then the closet door flings open. Confusion fills his face when he stares down at me, his anger instantly dissolving. A sigh leave s his lips and he crouches down to be eye level. “What are you doing down here?” he asks.
“I don’t want to be yelled at anymore today,” I confess.
“Did he yell at you?”
“Yeah.”
“Why?” He clears his throat and attempts to keep his anger on low profile, but it’s totally noticeable and I shrink back against the wall.
“He said you just used me and you don’t care.”
“I’m going to kill him.” He grabs my hand and pulls us both to our feet. “But first, I’m going to make sure you’re okay.” He pulls me to his chest and despite everything that just happened I bury my face in the crook of his neck.
“I’m super,” I mumble.
“Anne, you know he was lying. I love you, please believe me.”
“Will-”
“No, Anne.” He pushes me away to stare into my eyes. “I love you, Anne and I know I lied and I’m not the best guy for you. I’m no saint baby, and I don’t claim to be because if loving you were a sin, I’d be the biggest sinner I know.”
“Will,” I attempt again.
“Please be mine again. I’ll calm down on the fighting and the smoking. Whatever you want.”
“There’s no need for that.” I place my hand on the side of his face and smile. “I’ve always been yours, Will.”
“Good.” He places a kiss to my cheek. “Now, I’m going to kill him.”
“Will!’
“Okay, I’ll wait an hour.” He grins.
I glance at the door on the floor. It’s cracked and the hinges are broken, making me believe his anger problems are worse than I thought. Sure, he’s blown up a few times, but for the most part he’s a carefree mellow guy. I guess he has a short temper.
His eyes follow mine to the door and he clears his throat awkwardly. “I’m sorry,” is all he says.
“Fix it.”
“I will. Right now I want to throw you in the bed and hold you while you ramble about anything you’d like.” He picks me up and throws me over his shoulder, before spinning around and taking a step towards the bed. He throws me onto the mattress where I bounce a foot over and crawls up beside me. My head falls onto his stomach instantly and I stare up at him, with his hands already tangled in my hair. “Ramble,” he demands.
I giggle but trace a design on his chest with my finger and rack my brain for something to say. “I’ve missed you,” I say.
“I’ve missed you.”
“Miles should be back today.”
“So I only have you to myself for a short time.” He grins down at me.
“You can share.”
“No, I don’t think I can.”
I just offer him a smile, because that’s all I can do right now. Two months ago on that fall morning when I practically ran over him with my bike, I never imagined I would be snuggled up with him right now. I never considered that this stranger could be the very one to build up my world, destroy it, and build it back up again. Never would I have predicted this outcome. But somewhere along the way, I fell in love with those hazel eyes that smokes too much and likes black coffee. Anger problems or not, I like him the way he is and honestly, I wouldn’t change a single thing about what’s happened between us, because now I understand how strong our love is and that it actually exists.
He gives me a lopsided grin and runs a finger over the top of my nose. “Anne?” he says.
“Yeah?”
“You really are the only one for me. You always have been.”
“And you’re the only one for me.” I give his fingers a soft kiss before I climb to my feet. “Miles should be home soon and I really want to go see him.”
“And why are you telling me? Usually you just do what you want.”
Yeah, well that was before Danny made sure I told him exactly what I was doing and if not he scared it out of me. But I don’t tell him that; obviously I don’t need to because he gives a sigh and stands up to hold my face in his hands
“I’m not him.” That’s all he says before he strides out of the room quickly. I scramble out the door and follow him out to his car. While we drive I ramble about anything I can think of, because I’m really anxious to see Miles. My best friend has been gone for almost a week now and the distance is killing me.
When Will stops the car, Miles’ car is parked out front and he digs in the back for his bags, so I jump out and run over to him, tackling him in a hug. I catch him off guard and he tumbles to the ground, where I land on top of him, but I don’t care. Miles is home!
“Anne, what on earth are you doing?” he breathes.
“Miles, you’re home! Never leave me again, all right? Promise,” I yell.
“Okay,” he chuckles and glances up at Will. “Will; hey,” he says awkwardly.
Will’s eyes glare into Miles, but they seem to soften up when I climb to my feet and pull Miles up with me. “Good to see you again, Miles,” Will says.
“You too, man. Glad you two worked it out.” Miles can’t finish because I tackle him into another hug, without knocking us to the ground this time.
“Miles, I missed you. Oh gosh, I have to tell you so much, but how was your dad’s house? Fun? Awful? Talk to me,” I plead and grab his bags from him before skipping into the house and dropping them off in the living room. “Don’t think I missed that scared expression you two exchanged,” I scolded them.
“Anne, you have had too much coffee,” Miles informs me.
“No, Miles! I just missed you!” I exclaim. They both give a chuckle and Miles plops down on the couch after giving me a soft kiss on the cheek and finally a hug in return. Will sits behind me on the couch and plays with my hair while I force answers out of Miles.
“It was all right. Nothing new. Dad’s got a new girlfriend, which is a surprise, but he seemed to like her a lot. She’s nice. A lot less crazy than mom,” he laughs and stretches his feet out so they rest in my lap. “Dad said he missed you and wished you’d come visit.”
“Maybe I’ll go next time,” I answer.
“Good. I’ve missed you. And you Will.”
“Ah, yes. Good bro-ship,” I say. “Are you hungry? Or in a game mood? Never mind, you’re always in a game mood. Let’s go to the arcade and get hot chocolate!” I jump up and grab both of them by the hands, while they exchange another horrified expression. It’s not my fault I’m acting like a little kid. Miles is home, me and Will are back together, and for the first time in a few weeks, I’m genuinely happy.

Miles sticks around for all about ten minutes before darting off to play a game. Will sticks around but his eyes stay glued to Miles and I can tell he wants to play so I roll my eyes and give up trying to make conversation. “Oh, just go play,” I yell.
“No, I want to talk to you,” he says.
“Go.”
“Thanks babe.” He takes off and begins playing some racing game with Miles.
Usually, I play with them, but I’m not feeling it. I’d rather sit and watch my two boys play games together. They make a good pair of best friends, which is pretty much what they are, whether they want to admit it or not.
A hand clasps around my arm and jerks me to my feet. I let out a string of curse words when I’m faced towards Danny with Matt flanking him. Did they not get enough this morning? Do they really have to drag this out some more? “Danny,” I huff, blowing my hair out of my face.
“Anne,” he says with a devilish grin.
“You reek of liquor.”
“I might have had a drink or two.”
“Or six,” Matt mumbles behind him.
“Maybe a few. But I’m not too drunk to know you belong with me and it’s time you come home. Come on; Matt will drive and we’ll go home and watch some lame movie that you like, all right?”
“As sweet as that sounds, I’m here with my friends, so if you would ever so kindly, piss off. Thanks.” I shove him out of my way and stalks towards the small bar. The man gives me a raised eyebrow. “Give me a big glass of Coke,” I demand.
“All right.” He fixes my glass of Coke and hands it to me within fifteen seconds. I give him two dollars and spin around, ready for Danny to find me again.
It only takes him a few seconds to catch up to me and stumble over beside me. “Anne,” he growls. “Come on.” He latches onto my arm and I take the glass of Coke and pour the whole thing over his head. After it’s gone I grab the girl’s next to me drink and pour it on Matt.
“I said piss off!” I’m standing now, fuming mad and I know my cheeks are red. “You stalk me, you’re rude to me and you psychically hurt me and then you demand I go home with you? You’re absolutely insane!” I scream. My eyes glance over at the girl beside me and I sigh. “I’ll buy you another drink.”
“Oh no, please carry on,” she says with a grin.
“Anne, stop humiliating me and get in my car!” he yells back. He wipes his face off quickly and his nose scrunches in disgust. “If you don’t move now, I’ll carry you out myself.”
“Like hell!” I glance around for someone else’s drink, but no one has one. But I suddenly lose interest in the drinks, when I notice all the men starting to gather around us, looking quite angry. Their glares are directed at Danny and Matt and I take it they don’t like it when other guys treat girls bad.
“Will Donner to the bar please,” the overcome says. I glance behind the bar to see Molly in a really short uniform with the business logo on it. I didn’t know she worked here, but apparently she does and she just called Will up here. Wonderful.
Guys behind Danny begin to separate and Will shoves through before slapping the back of Danny’s neck and ramming his face into the bar. “Miles get Matt,” he demands before leaning down and whispering something in Danny’s ear. Usually Danny would fight back, but he’s too drunk to do anything now.
Miles kicks Matt in the shin and punches him in the face before shoving him to the floor leaving him in a drunken heap. I begin to panic as this arcade bar begins to turn into a full on brawl. I need to get my boys out of here before cops show up and they all get arrested.
“Will, leave him. We need to go,” I say.
Will leans away from Danny, but doesn’t stop his rant. “If you ever go near her again, I promise I’ll not only break you arms, I’ll break your neck,” he growls.
“Will!” I gasp. I don’t know if I’m scared for Will going to jail or scared that he just threatened to literately kill Danny, but either way I’m starting to get upset.
His glassy eyes land on me and he grunts, but shoves Danny away and takes my hand away before grabbing Miles’ collar and pulling us both out of the bar. I never even got a chance to thank Molly.
We get in Will’s car and I pull my knees up to my chest as I sit in the backseat. My breathing is rapid and I’m freezing. Will sits in the driver’s seat, gripping the steering wheel tightly and giving loud breaths before looking at Miles and saying, “You drive.” They switch spots and Will climbs into the backseat with me. His arms wrap around my freezing body and he holds me close. “You okay?” he asks.
“Yeah,” I reply.
“Maybe we should just stay in for tonight, yeah?”
“Yeah.”
“Anne, please talk to me.”
“Why won’t he leave me alone?” I look up at him, finally and meet his sad eyes.
“I don’t know Anne… I don’t know. But he won’t bother you anymore, I promise. He was just drunk.” He pulls me tighter and plays with my fingers in silence until we get home.
I flop onto the couch with my head in Will’s lap and my feet in Miles’ lap. They turned on some Christmas show and Miles fixed us all hot chocolate.
Miles dozes off somewhere in the middle of the movie and Will pulls me up so my head rests on his chest. “How are you doing?” he whispers.
“I’m fine,” I reply. “Will you stay here tonight?”
“Yes.” He kisses my nose and gives a throaty laugh. “Miles is out.”
“He had a long drive.”
“Let’s go to the bed so we don’t disturb him.” He grins and pulls me to my bedroom. Endless whispers and play fighting mixed with a few stolen kisses fill the air that night. The snow falls thick outside and Miles sleeps peacefully on the couch. Despite the whole run in with Danny earlier, this is exactly how I want to end my night.

Three weeks later…
Things have been good. Like, really good. Miles and Will are almost as inseparable as me and Miles are. Turns out, Bay was pregnant and that’s why she wasn’t moving, so guess who got two new puppies running around the house that like to wake up Miles in the middle of the night? That’s right.
Its Christmas morning and Molly, Miles, Will, and Razor are piled up Will’s living room. Razor is actually really nice now that he’s not hanging out with Danny. He moved out and now he lives in an apartment in the same building Will does, just not as fancy. We all sip hot chocolate and then we go build snowmen and have snowball fights. Molly even made Will and I kiss under the mistletoe, so in return I made her and Miles kiss, which surprisingly made them each blush. I guess he’s into the punk chicks now. Who knew?
I know our whole relationship has been hectic and things went up and down with me and Will and even me and Miles, but I can’t help but think my parents would be so proud of me right now if they saw me. My life is full of wonderful people and I’m finally happy and really, that’s all that matters.

CarmonAshley said...
CarmonAshley, Madisonville, Kentucky

Thank you so much!!

Madie2k BRONZE said...
Madie2k BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas

"Don't the best of them bleed it out. While the rest of them Peter out." -Foo Fighters

You are an exellent writer, I read all 6 chapters! I really liked the plot and their bumpy relationship. Also, I loved the title! Keep posting!