A Star’s Power | Teen Ink

A Star’s Power

Everything was ideal. Living on my planet, Tricondorious was perfect. No war, poverty, hatred or envy of others, family, love, and the ultimate feeling of happiness and joy filled each unit. All things one could ever desire, yet why did it feel like it was all fake, an illusion. My whole life seemed like a lie, but on top of all of that I knew I was different. Different from everyone else in my unit, and on a daily basis would I wonder if there was anything wrong with me.
No, you’re normal. Perfectly average, I would state to myself, trying to reassure and dilute the feelings I secretly felt. As those words lingered in my brain, I knew deep down that I wasn’t average. My subconscious was trying to convince me to believe a message I knew all too well could be true, and I always ignored it.

Living in Tricondorious was balanced, some might even say perfect, all thanks to our government. The Tricon establishment, which has kept everyone and everything in order, include the honorable founding fathers who had built the city from the ground up. Tricondorious has consisted of 21 units, each unit having a set of rules that they were to oblige and follow in order to create peace and harmony between each citizen. The regulations Tricon had developed for our unit, were expected to be followed at all times, and it consisted of apologizing for any mistakes made, no harassment of others, equal number of female and males in each age group, and assigned occupations. This all seemed reasonable, or so I thought. I lived with my mother, Elise, and my father for all of my life, but up until six months ago he had sadly passed away from a gas leak that occurred at his occupation. Now, living in the desolate beige complex brings no meaning to me with him gone. With the leak killing a total of 19 civilians, most being my fathers colleagues, it was centered at my father’s work in a building in downtown Tricondorious. Working as an entrepreneur, my father had helped the government manufacture new technology for our unit. Despite the long nights and drilling days my father spent at his work, the few family dinners we had together was something that I would cherish and reminisce on forever. Mother and I didn’t talk much about my father anymore, not even as little to even say his name made me feel anxious and uneasy, plus my mother still seemed as though she was still grieving from his death.

The Academy, another regulation Tricon had developed in my unit, was the school where young adult ages of 14 and up attended. It is where I, myself, and young adults in my unit went to gain knowledge about our assigned occupations, Tricon had given to each of us. I had been assigned the occupation of a bio-medical scientist. As following the course book of my occupation, I was to use the sciences of biology and chemanomatry to create and develop medicine to treat the ill and vaccinate those who’ve made contact with fatal diseases and bacteria. After the rigorous and demanding three years the Academy requires, we would then be released and enter our assignments. I attended the Academy with my two best friends, Lawrence and Abigail, and being in our third year, we were soon going to graduate, and enter our assigned careers. We have known each other ever since we were young and we have forever possessed a strong friendship and unbreakable bond between one another other. However, that bond has been abruptly challenged and questioned, ever since the death of my father. After the confirmation of the passing of my father and the citizens involved in the gas leak, it had put my unit in complete uproar and panic. Citizens had questioned the incident and the governments morals; How did it happened? Why? What does the government have in store for the unit? What is the government going to do to ensure our safety? What’s next? Tricon had reassured my unit by announcing that after the tragedy and devastating deaths of the citizens involved in the gas leak, that they would come up with a plan to enforce the safety of others and prevent anything like this from ever occurring again. After the death of my father I had stopped spending time with Lawrence and Abigail. The way my mother was affected from my father’s death was heart-breaking and excruciating to stand by and watch, so I was determined to be her guidance and support her. Recently, I have realized my friendship with Abigail and Lawrence was fading, hanging by a loose thread, and was soon to snap. Our unbreakable bond was beginning to face the indefinite truth, and we would eventually break apart, I can just feel it. No, not just feel it, I thought to myself, I saw it happen; in my dreams, or should I say nightmares. Abigail and I had been arguing about how I have recently been distant and how we were slowly fading apart from each other. I argue that I’ve just been trying to be there for my mother. .
“Luna, I feel like we’re growing apart, it’s been so long since we’ve talked, and you don’t even try to make an effort to talk to me nor Lawrence. Why is that? Is it because you don’t want to be our friend anymore?”
“How can you even say that, you know exactly what’s been going on, you know what happened, all I’ve been trying to do is be there for my mom!” I yell back at her.
“Yeah, Luna I understand, but it’s been six months since the accident, me and Lawrence have been trying to be your support and stay by your side ever, though every time we try to do so, you push us away. Why do you do that? We just want to help you,” she stated, anger rising in her voice.
“Well if you want to help, help me by just leaving me alone!” I screamed at her, feeling annoyed and anxious. Abigail looked at me, in shock to my extreme outbreak.
“Fine, I’ll go,” she said, leaving me alone to stare out of my bedroom window of the other condos and buildings downtown Tricondorious offered. And that’s when I woke up, lying in my bed, my comforter swept across my bedroom floor and my sheets were clingy to the edge of my bed. It was all a dream, but why did it feel so real, like it actually happened.

Once again, I ignored and subsided the unusual feeling and got ready for my day. Today at the Academy, we were to job shadow at our assigned occupations. As the shuttle that transported students to the Academy was approaching the school, I had seen a large crowd of students and administrators grouping students according to their assigned occupation. After I stepped off the shuttle, I had walked up the steep glass steps in the front of the Academy, and once reaching the glass doors I positioned myself to be in front of the eye recognition scanner. Moving my eye to the scanner, it had instantly identified me, and specified the location I was to be at for my job shadowing. As I walked through the Academy halls, visions from the nightmare I dreamt last night came rushing to my head. Trying to disregard the visions, I kept waking until I saw a group of students standing outside a science laboratory. The sign across the door stated: Bio-Medical Science, and I had joined the group. Hidden in the crowd of students, I saw Lawrence and Abigail standing together, they had spotted me, and motioned for me to come over but I decided that after the nightmare I had dreamt last night, it was best to keep my distance. A few minutes passed and the doors of the laboratory had opened, viewing a women and man wearing lab coats , and they began to introduce themselves.
“Hello future scientists, my name is Alice and this is Mike,” Mike waved, while giving us a thin smile, “Today we are going to show you all the wonderful equipment we use as bio-medical scientists, as well as give you a tour of the laboratory,” Alice stated, presenting a cheerful smile.
Mike began to type the pin for the laboratory’s doors and said, “Let’s get started.”
The doors swiftly opened, showcasing a magnificent and grand laboratory, filled with all kinds of science equipment and technology that I had never seen before. Alice and Mike began the tour, showing us all the equipment and the layout of the laboratory. As we were passing a collection of science equipment, Alice had asked the group whether we wanted to see the new experiment the team of scientist were working on. With curiosity filling our minds, everyone requested to see the new experiment. Alice directed us to another room, were a single large table was located in the center, with a screen showing the experiment name: X-Con19. As we entered the room, and gathered around the table, Alice had shifted the screen to a 3-D hologram, allowing everyone in the lab to see. As the images began propping up, that’s when I saw it. I had a vision of me running down a dark alley, similar to an underground sewer, and I heard people behind me, running and yelling, “ Don’t let her get away!” Abruptly the vision stopped, and I had to catch myself before I almost fell.
The girl next to me asked, “Are you okay?”
I looked to my left and I saw a girl with sleek black hair, wrapped up into a low pony and gulped. She was one of the people I had seen in my vision.
Replying in a barely a whisper, I said, “ Yes,” then later clearing my throat I stated more clearly, “Yeah, just stubbed my toe.”
She nodded and continued to listen to Alice and Mike’s presentation of experiment, X-Con19. I tried to focus, listening to what Alice and Mike were saying but thoughts started to fill my head; What just happened ? Where was I and why was I running? Who is this girl next to me and why was she chasing me? and then suddenly I heard something from a distance.
“ Make sure the serum is ready, we are going to announce today that we have made a plan to use those trackers.” Instantly I yet again wondered, What plan, and what trackers were they talking about? I turn to see who was speaking and I see from a distance a tall, lean woman with vibrant red hair, standing upright, talking to another women who was wearing a lab coat and her hazelnut hair tied up into a messy bun. I quickly turn my head back to face the screen, and regain my attention to Mike and Alice as they started introducing the experiment to the group. A video was projected into the hologram and there I saw a laboratory mouse, having something injected into its lower back. Then the hologram displayed a map and dot, representing the mouses location. I immediately knew this was the trackers, the two ladies had spoken about.
Alice began saying, “Experiment X-Con19 was first authorized by Tricon after the devastating incident roughly about six months ago. Wanting to find a solution to resolve safety issues and ensure safety throughout our whole planet, Tricon did so by creating trackers. We experimented on our laboratory mice, and as you in the hologram, we were able to identify the exact location of the mouse.What we are currently developing is a sensor and camera, located into the tracker to allow us to surveillance citizens and prevent safety issues,” explained Alice.
“Also, another thing we are developing into the tracker is a voice implant. Allowing the government to see anyone doing anything dangerous or causing harm to the others, they could communicate with the individual, giving warnings to stop,” specified the women with the red hair. She entered the room with a grin, looking over the group and then towards Alice and Mike. As I fully could see her face, I recognized almost instantly who she was. Her name was Davina and she was the ambassador for our unit. On her behalf she negotiated with Tricon, to establish new rules and regulations for us.
The girl next to me curiously asked, “ So, with the help of biomedical scientists, the government is trying to develop a multi-functional tracker to ensure the safety of others and prevent harm from occurring?”
The ambassador strode up to the girl next to me and said, “Precisely.” Then turning to a few scientists as she left the room.
“Ok, ladies and gentlemen, that’s it for today. We will continue this tour and phase 2 tomorrow, have a good rest of your day,” Mike reported.
Everyone then started to depart the laboratory. As I was walking out, I heard my name being called out. Turning around to face the voice I heard, it was the ambassador herself and behind I suspected was most likely her assistant.
“ Luna, is it?” she questioned. I gave her a thin smile and replied, “Yes.”
. “ Hello, my name is Davina, as you might be well aware of, I am the ambassador to your unit. I have recently heard the terrible news about your father and I want to give you my condolences and say how deeply sorry I am.”
Trying to hide my saddened expression I replied with a “thank you.”
Davina continues, “It was an honor working with him, and it is thrilling to see you receive the occupation of a biomedical scientist. I can’t wait to see the ideas you have to offer to your unit.”
Feeling content, I replied, “Neither can I. I’ve always had a passion for science and to help others is another thing I greatly enjoy.”
Davina grinned and stated, “Well it was lovely meeting, hope you have good rest of your day.”
“Thank you, you as well,” I responded back. Leaving the Academy, stepping onto the shuttle, to transport me back home, I began to fully comprehend what just had occurred. Thinking back, I began to remember the presence Davina projected off. It was as if her sorrow wasn’t fully sincere and she was being pretentious. Thinking to myself, I thought that the assumption was obnoxious and disregarded the thought. When I arrived home, I instantly went to my bedroom to lie down. Just as I began to shut my eyes, the door buzzer rang, and I then had gotten up to see who it was. Opening the door, I saw Abigail and Lawrence standing right in front of me. Hiding my shocked expression with a smile, I asked, “What are you guys doing here?”

“Luna, we need to talk, please can you let us in,” Lawrence pleaded.
“Sure, come on in,” I replied, accepting his request. We went up to my bedroom and I sat in my bedroom window, while Abigail sat on my bed and Lawrence sat in the chair by my desk.
“So what do you guys want to talk about,” I asked.
“Well first of all, how’ve you been? We saw you at the job shadowing,” Lawrence explained. I look down at my feet and sighed, before making direct eye-contact with Lawrence.
I replied, “Good, how about you guys?” I glanced at Abigail, who was fidgeting with her bracelet. She stoped tinkering with her bracelet and replied, “ Good, I – we’ve just been worried about you and we haven’t seen each ever since you know..” she trailed off, knowing not to bring up what happened.
“I’m fine, totally fine,” I admitted.
“Are you really Luna?” Lawrence asked me, a sincere expression fell upon his face. I nodded in response.
“Luna, I just feel like we’re growing apart, it’s been forever since we’ve talked, and you haven’t even put an effort to try to talk to me or Lawrence. Why do you ignore us, is it because you don’t want to be our friend anymore,” Abigail expressed.
“What did you just say,” I murmured. Thinking back to the dream I had last night, and realized , “It’s happening,” I said out loud. Abigail and Lawrence looked at me, in confusion and as if I was some lunatic.
“What are you talking about, what’s happening?” Lawrence asked.
“My dream, its happening,” I trembled. Then it happened again, another vision. There was an explosion, I was running from the same people in my previous vision, but to stop them I felt a force in my right hand and I was able to push them directly into a wall. Suddenly the vision stopped. Opening my eyes, I found myself on the ground, Abigail and Lawrence hovering over me, yelling, “Luna wake up, Luna!”
“What happened, are you all right?” Abigail asked me.
Stuttering, I reply, “Yeah, I- I j.. just got up too fast, how long was I out?”
Lawrence glanced at Abigail and stated, “A couple minutes or so.”
“What happened, right before you fell you were saying how it’s happening. What were you talking about?”questioned Abigail, a freighted look showing upon her face.
“All right, I haven’t been all that honest with you guys, and it’s because I’ve been going through things that I can’t even explain,” I confess to them.
“Well, we’re all ears. We want to help you Luna, if you’ll let us,” Lawrence advised. I stood up from the floor, moving to sit on my bed and I began explaining to them the visions I was beginning to have. Once I had finished speaking, the look on their faces, both filled and contorted with confusion and uncertainty.
“I know this might sound crazy, but I know I am different. I don’t know how I have this power and can see these visions,” I elaborated. Abigail gave me a warm hug and I hugged her back.
“I didn’t know that was happening to you, I am so sorry,” she apologized.
“Yeah, thank you for telling us that, if you need anything we are here for you,” proclaimed Lawrence. After a few hours of us talking and catching up, Abigail and Lawrence left and I had went to bed.

The next day, I had gotten up and went downstairs to eat breakfast. My mother was in the kitchen, drinking her morning coffee, when our television began to beep. It was a message from the government , and the ambassador appeared on the screen.
She began speaking, “Good morning unit 19, I have some excellent news to give to you. Thanks to the help of scientists and Tricon, we have developed a way to ensure the safety of our whole planet, through trackers. Now please don’t be alarmed, we will be having a member of Tricon and two scientist to assist, coming to each and one of your homes to inject your trackers. Stay tuned, be patient, and they should shortly be on their way.” The television returned back to its original screen, and I glanced to my mother, who looked stunned.
“What’s, wrong?” I asked her. “Wow, they think by making trackers, it can ensure our safety, those bastards,” she condemned, anger filling her voice.
“What are you talking about mom,” I asked, confused to what she was implying.
“Oh, honey you don’t know the half of it,” she replied.
“What do you mean, please tell me,” I insisted , curious to what she might say. “Well it all began before you’re fathers death, their had been a meeting regarding a new technology, scientists had developed. However, your father wasn’t seeing eye to eye with the governments intentions with the technology. He thought it was inappropriate and deceiving to use the technology the way the government desired, and wanted to try another way. That night he told me that he was going to find a solution and resolve the problem, and the next day the gas leak happened.” My mother began to tremble, and I grabbed her hand to steady and reassure her. She continued, “I can’t explain this, but I have a gut feeling that the government was responsible for the death of your father and the others in the gas leak, I just know it,” she claimed. I looked directly into my moms eyes and I knew her instinct was correct. Then another vision occurred. I saw my father, other scientists, entrepreneurs, and Davina, the ambassador, all collected at a table discussing the new technology. I saw Davina step out of the office and turn to a scientist and government official. Overhearing her conversation she had ordered them, “They aren’t settling, we need to exert plan X-20 and evacuate.” The scientist and government officials nodded in response. The next thing I saw was a big explosion and abruptly the vision ended. Tears began streaming my eyes and I say my mother, who also had tears swelling up in her eyes.
“You have the power, I knew you had it ,” mother stated.
“ Wait, how did you know, I had those.. those visions,” I questioned.
“Sweetie, you have so many capabilities and powers beyond your knowing,” she confessed.
“What? How ? I’m confused. What’s wrong with me, and why do I have these powers,” I asked, butterflies growing in my stomach.
“Oh, nothing is wrong with you, you are extraordinary Luna , you just need to learn to control your outstanding powers,” she explained. I instantly pulled her into a warm hug, thankful someone finally understood me.

“There’s something you need to know though,” she stated, glaring into my eyes. I looked back at her and my heart began to race, along with a strange feeling rising in my stomach. “What, what is it?” I questioned, beginning to feel worried to what was about to come. My mother began saying, “Since I wasn’t sure when you were to develop your powers, I didn’t even think to use this, but if the government puts a tracker into you they will immediately identify your powers, and unfortunately you might be in danger.” My heart sunk and my head began to spin, “ What, I’m in danger, what do you mean,” my hands started to shake, “please tell me you’re lying,” I begged her. “It’s alright, your father and I already have a plan to help you escape, assisting you while you’re running away,” my mother stated, trying to reassure me.
“Well what’s the plan, what’s going to happened to you, I don’t want to leave you,” I announced.
“I’ll be fine, everything will be fine as long as you follow the instructions I’m about to give you,” she stated. Tears began to fall down my cheeks , I didn’t want to leave my mother. My mother pulled me into a hug and whispered into my ear “you have to be strong, Luna, I believe in you .” She began giving me the instructions and I began memorizing every little detail. As we finished packing me a small bag of food, water and clothes our door buzzer began beeping, signalizing someone was approaching our door.
I glance at my mother and give her a tight embrace as she kissed my cheek, “ I love you.”she whimpered.
“I love you mom,” I sniffled. She motions me to go into my room and sprinting into my bedroom, I locked the door behind me, quickly thinking where can I escape. I open up my bedroom window and took a deep breath before jumping, sticking a landing, and making no sound once I hit the floor. The plan was to head to the Academy and find a hard drive, containing a map of the school. There was an underground tunnel that lead to an escape hatch my father and mother had secretly developed in case of this were to ever occur. I swiftly ran behind the greenhouse in my background taking a short-cut than my usual route for school. When I arrived at the Academy there was no one sitting outside and the place lied vacant. I then walked up to the doors and they were locked. I suddenly remembered that the school will be locked today, since the government was installing the trackers. I begin to get frustrated, yanking on the doors, and bagging when suddenly my hand went through the glass door, entirely. Amazed by my new power, I slid through the door and saw the school as it was; empty and silent. Perfect, nobody will see me, I through to myself. I made my way across the school, to the administrator’s office and began searching. First I searched the administrator’s desk and couldn’t find anything, then I began checking his computer. After glancing at different files, I finally found the blue-print of the school and transferred it onto my hard drive device. I followed the blue-print and it led me to a door with a sign planted across the door; Underground : Off Limits. I knew this was where I was supposed to be and opened the door.

As I opened the door, a dark alley was presented, with only a few lights to guide me along my way. The odors of a sewage and waste mixed with a musky scent flourished through the dark and mysterious alley, causing my nostrils to flare up. I looked at the map, trying to find the next destination; the evacuation door. As I began to descend the stairs that lied in front of me, I heard a group of people banging at the front entrance door. I didn’t dare look to see who it was and began running down the stairwell. Almost sprinting down the alleyway, turning multiple sharp rights and lefts, had I considered taking a small break to catch my breath. I was just about to pull out the blueprint of the Academy to see where I was located, when I heard footsteps behind me, and I instantly began running as fast as I could.
“Stop!” I heard one of them yell. More footsteps came, and they became louder and louder.
“I am advising you, use caution, she’s dangerous,” I recognized that voice, Davina the ambassador. I turn around to see a group of people, including the girl with the sleek black hair from my job shadowing. I felt it coming, a hard force rising in my hand, my only instinct being to lift my hand. The force had pushed them all up against the wall. I quickly realized that this was another one of my visions coming to life. I quickly grabbed the blue-print, scanning it to find the evacuation door. It was just up ahead, a few feet in front of me. As I was just starting to run, a voice behind me called out,
“Luna, where do you think you’re going?” A chill ran down my spine. Davina was a few feet away from me, restricting me from running. If I tried to run, she could instantly grab me. I was stuck, no where to go. I was screwed. 

“I know what you did,” I abruptly stated.
“And what is that?”she questioned.
“The gas leak, X-20, my father,” as those words came out of my mouth, her eyes flinched, and her fingers began twitching, indicating she knew exactly what I explaining.
“Wow, well Luna, how did you figure that out?” she asked me, a smirk beginning to cross her face.
“You, it was all you. You are the reason those civilians and my father are gone, all because of one disagreement, how can you be so selfish,” I cried out.
“Selfish, I was just doing what’s right for our unit, and if I weren’t for your father and his determined self, him and the others would still be here,” Davina explained. Tears began forming in my eyes, and I whimpered as a tear rolled down my cheek. I closed my eyes and visioned of moving up the few feet to stand directly next to the evacuation door. I suddenly opened my eyes and I was there.
“You have such great power, Luna, some that you couldn’t ever possibly understand. You are dangerous and a liability to your unit, meaning you must be imprisoned to prevent anything horrible form occurring,” she stated. I couldn’t stay here anymore, my home, my friends, family, I could put them all in danger. I thought back to what my mother had told me, you’re extraordinary, that had given my the strength to do what I was about to do.
“You’re right, I do have great power, and I am a liability to my unit, but I know my worth. If I can’t be who I am, then I must leave,” I stated, lifting up both of my hands, the force came rushing through me, and suddenly pushing Davina a far distance across the dark alley. Shocked to what just occurred, I looked at my hands, amazed at what they can do. Now it was time. I pushed open the evacuation door and there it was. The most beautiful, serene, colorful and grand place I have ever seen. I’ve only read about this location in my history books from in grade school, and now it was right in front of me. That magnificent place was called Earth.