Until the End | Teen Ink

Until the End

By AspenCooley, Neosho, Missouri
AspenCooley, Neosho, Missouri

She was at the edge of the woods. She saw somebody go in. She decided to follow. As she got further into the woods, things became more ominous. It seemed that even the birds had stopped singing. She could make out the shadow of a person around her age. She got closer and closer. Then a scream pierced the air. Somebody in front of the figure dropped, dead. She gasped. What had just happened? The figure began to turn around. She could almost see the figure’s face…

“Bella! Wake up!”

Bella awoke with a start. How did this stranger know her name? It took her a second to realize that it was all a dream. There was no shadowy figure. Nobody had died. She wasn’t in the wood, she was just in her bed. Her mom had just yelled for her to get up. Less confused, Bella got out of bed. She made her way downstairs to the kitchen, where her mom had made breakfast.

“Happy 15th birthday, Bella. I wonder where Charlotte is.” Bella’s mom, Rachel, said.

“Thanks. I just love talking about my perfect sister on my birthday.” Bella replied, frustrated that her mom always did this. She was always doing this. Talking about Charlotte, Bella’s older sister, even when it was a day that was supposed to be about Bella.

“She’s not perfect, just close to it. I just want you to be more like her.” Rachel said. Bella resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Of course she had heard this all her life. Charlotte this, Charlotte that. Everything was always about Charlotte. Bella was just a worthless piece of dirt in her mother’s eyes. Her dad came down the stairs.

“Happy birthday, honey.” Tom, Bella’s dad, said. He treated Bella better than her mom, but he still prefered Charlotte, too.

“Thanks.” Bella said.

“You look so much like your sister.” Tom said. Bella grunted a response. She didn’t think Charlotte looked good at all. She looked like a mix between a rat and a troll in Bella’s eyes. She knew that it wasn’t true, that her sister really was beautiful, but she didn’t want to admit it. Charlotte was the prettiest person in town, or at least that’s what everyone said. Even strangers said it. Bella was beautiful herself, with her brown, wavy, waist-length hair, beautiful blue eyes, and flawless, tan skin. She was very thin, too, which was ok with her. She was  around 5 foot 6. Nobody would ever say she was as beautiful as her sister, even though the only difference between the two of them was that Charlotte was 17, had blonde hair, and a nose ring.

“I’m going to walk to school today.” Bella said. She didn’t think she would survive if she had to sit in a car for 15 minutes listening to her mom rave about Charlotte.

“That’s fine. Find Charlotte after school.” Tom replied, not even looking at Bella. She nodded, but knew she would never actually do it. She started her walk to school, looking at her feet. She had been walking for 10 minutes when her friend, Alisha, came next to her.

“ Hi Bella. Happy birthday. I got you a present.” Alisha squealed, shoving a present in Bella’s hands. She ripped the wrapping paper off, opened the box and shrieked.

“Oh. Thanks! I love it!” Bella said, and she really did. It was a purple dress, was high in the front, low in the back, and flowed outwards. It was the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. It would fit her perfectly.

“ You’re welcome. I knew you would love it. I saw it and they happened to have one in your size! I had to get it.” Alisha said happily.

“And this is why you are my best friend.” Bella said.

“Aw. Thanks! You’re my best friend, too. In case you were wondering, I want a puppy for my birthday.” Alisha replied, batting her eyelashes innocently.

“In your dreams. I can’t afford that. You can have my sister, if you want.”

“No thanks. I hate your sister, no offense. She’s kinda full of herself.” Alisha whispered. Of course she knew that if anybody besides Bella ever heard her say that, she would be a disgrace.

“ I agree. I hate being her sister. I wish she would just leave me alone. I hate being known by strangers as ‘Charlotte’s sister’. I’m a person, too, and she’s such a brat. My parents treat her like she’s the best thing anybody could ever want. Trust me, she’s on the bottom of the list of the things I want.” Bella said. Alisha nodded.

“At least everyone at school knows you by name. You’re the most popular person there and everyone knows your sister’s a fake.” Alisha said. It was true, everyone at school hated Charlotte, but loved Bella. As they approached the school, they stopped talking. They got past the doors and parted ways. They had no classes together until lunch. The first half of the day was so boring. By the time lunch had arrived, Bella’s notebook had 3 pages full of doodles. She met Alisha at their usual table.

“Today has been so boring.” Alisha sighed. Bella nodded. As their other friends sat down, they all talked excitedly.

“Have you seen what Jax is wearing today? It is amazing!” one of Bella’s friends, Lily, said. Everyone except Bella nodded eagerly. Jax was the most attractive guy in the school. He was also 15 years old. He had dark brown  hair, green eyes, and was 5 foot 9.

“No. What is he wearing?” she asked.

“ Why don’t you see for yourself. Turn around!” Alisha squealed. Bella turned around to see Jax in a hoodie and jeans.

“So what? Why is it so special? I’m wearing a hoodie and jeans, too. It’s December.” Bella asked.

“Yeah, but Jax just looks so good in it. Not that you don’t.” Lily added, seeing the look of pain on Bella’s face. She was so tired of everyone acting like Jax was a god. There is only one of those. Sure, he was really cute, but that doesn’t mean anything in the real world. Bella rolled her eyes.

“You know what? If you love him so much, why don’t you go talk to him?” Bella said, fed up with the constant idolization.

“Are you crazy? I could never go talk to him.” Lily said.

“Sure you could it’s simple. You just say hi and then start a conversation.”

“It’s not that easy. Let’s see you try.”

“Ok.” With that, Bella got up, grabbed her bag, and went to the table Jax had sat down at. She threw her bag on the floor, plopped into the seat next to Jax, turned around, and smiled at the table of astounded girls she had just left. She turned back around to see Jax staring at her.

“Hi.” She said.

“Um… Hey.” Jax responded. He was even better looking up close.

“Sorry to just come up and sit next to you, but all the girls at my table were talking about you, so I thought I would sit here and talk to you. They’re all to scared. You’re their idol.” Bella explained. She pointed at the table where her friends were watching intently.

“Ok. I get that a lot. Just… who exactly are you?” Jax asked. Bella felt herself blushing.

“I’m Bella. Or you may now my sister, Charlotte Dunsworth.” she said.

“I have no clue who that is. Why would I know her?” Jax asked.

“Really? Well, everyone thinks she’s the prettiest person alive, and she is really pretty, but she’s also a real brat. I mean, most sisters are awful, but she takes it to a whole new level.”

“Oh. I’m  sorry. I don’t like my siblings sometimes either. Sometimes, I consider running away.” Seeing the expression of shock on Bella’s face, Jax blushed, then added, “ I’m sorry, but don’t tell me you’ve never considered it.”

“Well, I have, but never thought of actually going through with it.” Bella responded.

“We could run away together. I know we just met and that sounds weird and crazy, but we could go seperate ways eventually.” Jax said.

“No. I don’t think I will run away anytime soon. What’s so wrong with your family, anyways?” Bella asked.

“They’re just… full of themselves, always saying how much they wish I would leave, stuff like that.” Jax said.

“That’s awful. I can’t blame you for wanting to run away.” Bella whispered. She really couldn’t. For a brief moment, she considered telling him she would go with him, then thought better of it.

“Yeah, well, you don’t pick your family.” Jax said.

“Please don’t shut off. I’ve never talked to anybody like this before, not even my best friend. I know we met, like, 15 minutes ago, but still. You’re just really easy to talk to.” Bella said,

“The bell’s about to ring, but if you change your mind, go to the woods past High Street.” Jax said, gathering his stuff. Then he added, “And you’re pretty easy to talk to yourself.” The bell rang and he sped off. Bella picked up her things just in time for her friends to meet up with her.

“What’s he like?” Alisha asked.

“He’s really nice and sweet. He’s so easy to talk to.” She responded dreamily. She didn’t know what was happening to her. She had never felt this way about anybody. She really liked him.

“Well, when you look like that, you should be happy and nice.” Alisha said.

“Yep. He’s definitely happy.” Bella said. Her friends may have thought she was being serious, but she knew otherwise.

“Well, I gotta go to theatre, but I’ll see you later.” Alisha said, departing from Bella.

...

The rest of the day was a blur. All Bella could think about was what she was going to do. By the time the final bell rang, she had made up her mind. She would take the long way home and stop by High Street to see if he was there. As left the school she saw Jax and caught his eye. There was a fierce look in his eyes. Alisha fell into step with Bella, forcing her to break eye contact with him.

“Do you want me to walk home with you?” she asked Bella.

“No. I’d rather go home myself.” Bella responded. Puzzled, Alisha hurried off in the opposite direction of where Bella was going. She saw Charlotte in her brand new red car (her mom and dad had bought it for her 17th birthday a month ago) and decided to tell her she was walking home instead. As she approached the car, Charlotte smiled.

“Hey little sis. I was told to give you a ride home, and being the amazing person I am, I accepted.” Charlotte said.

“Thanks, but I actually want to walk home today.” Bella replied.

“Oh. Fine. I drove all the way out here for nothing, but that’s ok. I will just drive home and tell mom and dad what you did. You will be in so much trouble.”  Charlotte said as she started the car.
“Charlotte, I love you and all, but you’re a brat.” Bella called after her as she pulled away. She began her long walk home. After about 20 minutes, she came to High Street. She quickly raced to the edge of the woods for any sign of Jax. She didn’t see anything, so she decided he hadn’t done it. As she began to turn around, she heard something behind her.

“Jax?” She whispered. “Is that you?” She heard no reply. It must’ve been a rabbit or something, she told herself. Then she heard it again. Not knowing what to do, she just turned towards the street to continue home.

“Bella? What are you doing?” came Jax’s voice from somewhere in the trees behind her.

“Jax! I came to see if you were actually going to run away. I guess you were, or are. Don’t worry. I was just leaving.” Bella said.

“Come on, Bella. Come with me and just forget about the way those awful people treat you. I saw the way your sister acted when you simply told her you were going to walk home. I swear, you would’ve thought you were telling her that you were going to jump off a cliff.” Jax said. Bella giggled. She did kind of overreact, and it would be nice to get away from her parents constantly comparing her to her sister. She did hate the way she was treated. A million thoughts rushed into her mind of all the things she wished she could escape.

“Oh. Alright. This is crazy. I just met you a couple of hours ago and you convinced me to do something I have always thought about doing.” Bella said. Just then, two cars drove by.

“Great. We can talk more once we are far enough into the woods nobody can see or hear us, but for now, we need to get out of here so more cars don’t see us.” Jax said, stretching out his hand for Bella. Hesitantly, she took it and he helped her through some of the trees. They ran for what seemed like hours before Jax slowed down to talk.

“Ok. I think we are far enough in we won’t be overheard.” he said.

“Good. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever done! Well, I guess there’s no going back now!” Bella said.

“No, there really isn’t. My parents probably don’t even realize I’m gone.”

“ I bet they do. My parents are probably talking to Charlotte, saying how glad they are I’m gone.”

“I don’t think so. Didn’t you see those cars that passed us?”
“No. Why?”

“ One of them was a red car and your sister was driving it. I mean, I don’t think she cares that you left, but I think she wondered where you were going.” Stunned by what Jax had just told her, she looked at her feet. Could it be true? Had it been Charlotte? Clearly, if it was, she didn’t care because she hadn’t stopped, but still.

“You can go home if you want. I would understand.” Jax whispered, sounding disappointed.

“What do you mean? Why would I ever even want to go back? I’m staying with you, No matter what. I know she didn’t care, she would’ve stopped if she had. We’re together until the end. ” Bella replied. She didn’t want to go back to her family.

“Ok then. That’s settled. Now, it’s getting dark, so I think we should stop for the night at sleep her. We’re far enough in that nobody could find us before we wake up.” Jax added, seeing the look of skepticism on Bella’s face.

“Alright. You can sleep right here and I’ll sleep over there.” Bella said, pointing to a nearby tree.

“Ok. I brought a couple of blankets. Sorry if it’s not enough.” Jax said as he tossed Bella a blanket.

“It’s ok. It’ll be plenty.” She said, spreading the blanket across the ground by the tree. She heard a noise and saw a shadow moving in a nearby area. It was shaped like a human.

“Jax. There is someone over there.” Bella whispered. Jax stiffened, and slowly, he made his way to the area Bella had indicated. He was too slow. As he started heading towards the shadow, It ran away.

“Sorry. I tried to be quiet. I saw that it was a human, and by the looks of it, a female.” Jax said.

“Well, I’m not going to be able to sleep.” Bella muttered to herself.

“We’ll continue tomorrow, but for now, we need to rest. Goodnight.” Jax said.

“Ok. Goodnight.” Bella replied, already laying down. She closed her eyes and just thought about the days events. This was so crazy. She had run away with a guy she only met this morning. There was also somebody following them. Bella drifted in and out of sleep all night. When she finally woke up for good, Jax was already awake.

“Good morning. I don't have much food, just a granola bar for each of us for a couple of days. We can get other food later, I promise.” Jax said. Bella was really worried. Where would they find food? It didn't matter now, they could wait.

“It’s ok.” was all Bella said as she accepted the granola bar. She ripped open the package and ate the granola bar. It was so good. After they had finished eating, they continued walking as far from where they came from as possible. They continued this cycle for days. Every now and then, Bella would swear she had seen somebody everywhere they went. They had lost track of time. They didn’t know what day, or even month it was. One day, as they continued to walk, they saw a town in the distance, which kept getting closer everyday they walked.

“I think we should go into the town and get more food.” Jax said one day.

“Ok. I agree. Do you think they will recognize us?” Bella asked.

“Doubtful, but if they do, we run.”

“Ok. Sounds like a plan.” They got to the edge of the woods and checked to make sure nobody was around. When the coast was clear, they crept behind a building and started walking casually, acting as though they belonged there. They came to a convenience store and decided that was were they would buy their food. They went in and hurried to where they wouldn’t be overheard.

“What should we get?” Bella asked. She was amazed at all the food there, not knowing what to choose.

“Well, we have 100 dollars, so whatever you would like.” Jax said, pulling out his money.  They went and chose as much food as they could afford. They went to the cash register, where a middle aged man was standing.

“Wow! This is all for you?” He asked.

“Yep.” Jax replied.

“That’s a lot of food. Do I know you guys? You look familiar.” The cashier said.

“No. We’ve never met before.” Bella said.

“Oh. Ok.” To their great relief, he turned around. Unfortunately, there were 2 missings papers behind him.

“You guys are the ones that ran away! Stay where you are!” The cashier said, picking up the phone. He dialed 911. Of course Bella and Jax weren’t going to just freeze. They ran out of the doors as fast as they could, heading towards the woods. Jax ran and dived into the woods. Bella slowed down and stopped. Did she want to live like this forever, always running? Maybe it would be better to just let them take her home. She could see Jax running farther into the woods. She didn’t know what to do.

She was at the edge of the woods. She saw a couple of figures to her left. She hadn’t seen where Jax had gone, and that worried her. Scared, she followed, not wanting Jax to get caught… or worse. As she got further into the woods, things became more ominous. It seemed that even the birds had stopped singing. She could make out the shadow of a person around her age. She got closer and closer. Then a scream pierced the air. Somebody in front of the figure dropped, dead. She gasped. What had just happened? The figure began to turn around. She could almost see the figure’s face… Had this figure just killed Jax? Or had Jax just killed someone? Or was it him at all?

“Bella! Run!!” came Jax’s voice from somewhere ahead. Relieved, and terrified, Bella bolted towards his voice. She jumped over the slumped figure, not daring to look down. She didn’t know where she was going, she just needed to get away. She heard footsteps close behind. Bella didn’t know what to do. She chanced looking back and was astounded to see the person chasing her. Bella stopped dead in her tracks.

“Alisha?! What are you doing? Was that you that killed that person?” Bella asked, refusing to believe her best friend was a killer.

“No! I would never! I saw you run into the woods and somebody screamed. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t you. I followed you and was trying to catch up to you, but I couldn’t.” Alisha responded, sounding genuinely concerned.

“What were you doing in that town, Alisha?” Bella asked, still not completely trusting her.

“Looking for you, like I have been for a week. You’re sister said she saw you and someone else going into the woods. I knew you wouldn’t sit still, that you would keep moving, so I have been checking that town everyday. Charlotte, on the other hand, has been searching the woods. I’m surprised you never saw her.” Alisha said. It was good enough for Bella.

“Ok. We have to go find Jax. I ran away with him. I’ll explain everything later.” Bella said hurriedly. The killer could still be out here somewhere, and even the thought of Jax getting hurt made Bella want to throw up. They searched, calling his name, for what seemed like forever. When Bella had finally given up hope, she heard something nearby.

“Bella? Is that you?” came Jax’s voice from up in a tree.

“Yes. You can come down.” Bella said, relieved. Jax jumped from a lower branch. Bella ran at him and wrapped her arms around him. She didn’t even care what Alisha thought. She was so happy, so relieved. Jax wrapped his arms around her, too, and they stood there, rocking back and forth for a minute. When Bella pulled away, she caught Jax’s eye, who was smiling. Then he saw Alisha and his smile faded. The look of shock and fear flooded his face.

“Bella, get behind me.” He said as he pushed Bella behind him. He was staring at Alisha, the same fear all over his face.

“Jax. This is Alisha. It’s ok. She didn’t kill whoever that other person was. She’s good.” Bella explained.

“No, she isn’t I saw everything, Bella. I was running, and I turned to see where you were. I saw you hesitating at the edge of the woods, so I thought I would hide and wait for you. I was on a lower branch when someone came running from the other direction, the way towards home. I didn’t get a good look at her, so I don’t actually know who it was.” Jax started.

“Ok. You said I was the killer, which I’m not, so where is the part where ‘I kill somebody’, or are you going to admit you’re lying? I could never hurt anybody.” Alisha said, sounding bored.

“You and I both know I’m not lying, so shut up,” Jax continued, slowly backing away all the while. “ Anyways, I saw somebody running towards the commotion. Then I saw somebody come from behind them, carrying a knife. The first person stopped, while the second came to face the first. As she got into the light, I saw it was Alisha. The first figure started backing up, and Alisha kept getting closer.”
“What a liar! Bella, dont believe him!” Alisha said. Bella didn’t know what to do. She wanted to believe both, but obviously only one was telling the truth…

“No. Bella, listen to me! I’m not lying. Let me finish. It was Alisha, closing the gap between herself and the figure. That’s when I saw you, Bella, behind them. I was praying you wouldn’t get too close. And then there was a scream. A blood curdling scream, and the first figure dropped dead. Alisha had stabbed her. I jumped from the tree and yelled for you to run. I ran as fast as I could, regretting instantly giving you away. I don’t know what happened after that. I just ran. I climbed this tree and then you came and here we are. I bet she still has the knife.” Jax finished.

“Promise me you aren’t lying?” Bella asked Jax.

“I promise. I will tell you the truth, and we stick together until the end.” Jax replied.

“Ok. I know who I believe. Jax, we need to run.” Bella said.

“No! You’re not going anywhere.” Alisha said, pulling out a bloody knife. “Tell me, Bella, how did you know?”
“Well, if you had truly been in that town waiting for me, you would’ve seen me come out of the woods and ran at me. And I knew you were a good actor, so I didn’t believe a word you said.” Bella said.

“Amazing! You’re smarter than you look.” Alisha said.

“Why are you doing this?” Bella asked, stalling for time.

“Well, you have always been better than me, and I’ve always lived in your shadow. I was usually ok with it, but then when you walked to Jax and talked to him and had a great time, I snapped. I followed you after school and saw you running away with him, and I decided to follow. That was me in the woods, watching you guys everyday. I have to admit, you guys got close to catching me, but I guess I’m just to quick for you.” Alisha explained.

“You’re a sick human being.” Jax said, holding tight to Bella.

“You think so? I don’t, just a little… different.” Alisha sighed. “Oh well. Do you two want to say anything to each other before I kill you?” She asked, as if it was completely normal.

“Yes, actually.” Bella said. “Jax, I know we only met a few days ago, but it has been the best few days of my life. You have been the best friend I could ask for. I know we should’ve gotten ready before we ran away, but when you run away, you don’t think about that.” Jax understood perfectly well what Bella was saying, and what she was about to do.

“Bella, I feel the same. There’s something I want to do before we part.” With that, Jax turned her towards him and pressed his lips to hers. It was the most sensational thing Bella had ever felt. As they separated, she whispered under her breath, “Get ready.” Jax nodded and turned.

“Sweet. Anything else?” Alisha asked.

“Yes, actually, for you. Ready?” Bella replied. Alisha looked up and shrugged her shoulders. Bella stepped forward, out of Jax’s grasp, leaned close to Alisha’s ear, and screamed at the top of her lungs. Staggering backwards, Alisha was stunned. Bella and Jax bolted towards the city they had just left.

“Faster!” Bella heard Jax shout. They kept running. They could see the edge of the woods, getting closer and closer. They almost ran right into a police officer.

“Help! There’s a crazy person in there trying to kill us! She killed somebody over there! Get her away!” Bella shrieked. She turned just in time to see Alisha coming at her, knife raised. Then a shot sounded. Alisha dropped the knife, hand bloody. Somebody had shot her hand. Two policemen apprehended her and cuffed her.

“MY HAND! You IDIOTS! I need medical attention!” Alisha was screaming.

“Shut up! You’ll get medical help, but you’d better shut your mouth now!” One of the officers said.

“Oh, by the way Bella, you should go see who I actually killed.” Alisha yelled, laughing maniacally. Heart immediately dropping to her stomach, she turned towards the body. Jax grabbed her hand and they slowly walked over to the body together. When she realized who it was, she gasped and sank to her knees, immediately in tears.

“Ch-Charlotte! I can’t b-believe this.” Bella stammered. Her tears splashed onto her sister’s cold body. The last thing she said to her flooded her mind. Charlotte, I love you and all, but you’re a brat. Looking back now, Bella saw how horrible of a thing to say this was. Bella pushed the hair out of her sister’s face. Sure, they fought a lot, but Bella had loved her.

“Bella, I’m so sorry. I don’t even know what to say.” Jax whispered, tears silently streaming down his own face.

“It’s not your fault, Jax. I hate Alisha so much. This was, is, my sister. I loved her so much.” Bella said between sobs. Even in her death, Charlotte looked absolutely stunning. Having a sudden idea, Bella got up and started picking flowers. Jax decided to do the same. After they had picked enough flowers, Bella weaved them into Charlotte's hair, and made a headband with them, too. She closed her sister’s eyes, saying her final goodbye.

“Goodbye, Charlotte. I love you so much, and I’m sorry you died because of me.” Bella said. It was all because of her. It was all her fault.

“Bella, you can’t blame yourself. She came looking for you. She loved you. This isn’t your fault. It’s Alisha’s.” Jax said sternly, but gently.

“I know it’s not really my fault, that it’s Alisha’s, but if she hadn’t come after me, she would be alive, her beautiful smile shining.”

“It’s not your fault, Bella. Stop saying it was. We can’t change the past, but we can make sure Alisha doesn’t do this to anybody else.”

“You’re right. It’s not my fault. It’s ok to be sad, but I can’t blame myself. I don’t want anybody else to ever have to feel this. Alisha needs to go to jail.” Bella said. With one last look at her gorgeous sister, she got to her feet and, hand in hand, Bella and Jax approached the ambulance that had arrived. Alisha was sitting in the back, her hands cuffed, but being mended.

“Did you like my little present?” Alisha asked maliciously.

“Listen hear, you freak, you may have killed my sister, but you can’t kill the love for her or her memory. And if you were trying to break me and Jax apart, I want to let you know,” she paused, holding up her and Jax’s intertwined fingers, “ you failed. All you did was make us stronger. I am going to make sure you never do this to anybody else. You will never see the light of day again.” With this, she turned and headed towards the nearest cop.

“Are we going to go home? I honestly miss my family, no matter how awful they are. I love them.” Jax said.

“Yes. We are going home. I’’m going to ask if this policeman can take us.” Bella replied. She approached the officer and asked if they could have a ride home. He said yes instantly.

“Your families have been worried sick. I will be glad to take you and see the joy on their faces.” The officer, who’s badge indicated his name was John, said. Together, Jax and Bella climbed into the back seat. As they started driving, Bella got nervous. What was she going to tell her parents? How could she explain this? They dropped Jax off first, who’s mom, dad, and two little brothers, came out, running at him. They tackled him and fell. They sat in a hug for a while. John explained everything and, with one last thanks from Jax’s family, they headed for Bella’s house. As they pulled into the driveway, she could see her parents coming out. She stepped out of the car and they ran at her. They hugged her like never before.

“We were so worried.” Tom told her.

“Mr. and Mrs. Dunsworth, as happy as I am to see you reunited with one of your children, I must inform you of another tragedy. Charlotte has been, well… killed. I am so sorry for your loss. I will let you guys have time alone. Have a good evening.” John said as he got into his car and drove away.

“Did he say… Charlotte…” Rachel stammered.

“Yes, mom. I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault. She was looking for me and Jax, the guy I ran away with, and we were in the woods. Alisha went crazy and stabbed her. I’m so sorry. I put flowers in her hair so she would look more beautiful as usual. I’m sorry, this is all my fault.” Bella said. Just like that, she burst into tears. She hadn’t fully accepted it until now. Sure, she had cried already, but that was just the initial shock. This was her fault.

“Honey, you can’t blame yourself. It was that low life, Alisha. It’s not your fault.” Tom said, silent tears trickling down his cheeks.

“It is my fault. I ran away and she was a good sister and came after me.” Bella cried.

“Sweetie, it’s not your fault. You should never have thought you had to run away. That blame goes to us.” Rachel said, gesturing towards herself and Tom. She was crying herself, but she didn’t want to make Bella feel worse. Nobody blamed Bella, they knew it wasn’t her fault.

“Ok. It may not be my fault, but it still hurts.” Bella said through ragged breaths.

“I know, sweetheart, I know.” Rachel said, pulling her daughter into a tighter hug. She explained to her parents later that night why she had felt the need to run. How she was always in Charlotte’s shadow, how nobody cared about her, and how she couldn’t take it. Her parents said how much they loved her and that they didn’t mean to make her feel like this. She then explained the events of the night.

“I don’t know who this Jax is, but he clearly cares about you. You need to keep him.” Tom said. Bella simply laughed. It felt good to know her dad could still joke, and she could still laugh, even after what had happened. She now knew how much her family did care about her, and she wished more than anything Charlotte was there. She took a shower and went to bed, exhausted from the last week. Her bed felt so good. She didn’t go to school the next day, or the next, or until the week after. She met up with Jax and they talked.

“Hey. How did it go?” Bella asked.

“Really well. Turns out, my family doesn’t hate me. I was very happy, and when I told them about you, they told me that you were a keeper.” Jax said, blushing.

“Oh yeah? And what did you say?”

“That you were and they were right.”

“Well, that’s very sweet of you.” Bella said, raising up and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“How did it go for you?” Jax asked nervously.

“Overall, pretty good. My family was obviously sad at the loss, but they told me how much they loved me and I believe it. I was also told that you were a keeper.” She added, not wanting to dampen the mood.

“Well, I guess it’s settled. We’re sticking together, no matter what.” Jax said, grabbing Bella’s hand and holding tight.

“I guess so. It won’t be horrible though. I mean, you’re pretty amazing.” Bella said.

“Thanks. You’re pretty amazing yourself. Are you ready for this?” Jax asked, as they were about to go to class.

“I think so, but we’re together until the end, right?” Bella said. With one last smile at each other, they departed to their classes. Even though everybody asked a million questions, Bella couldn’t help being happy. She knew that no matter what happened, Jax would be with her until the end.