The mirror of consequences | Teen Ink

The mirror of consequences

By Vulture1102 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Vulture1102 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you are right-Henry Ford

PROLOGUE

What just happened is going to take me a while to tell you. You won’t believe me but i can assure you it’s true. Now, don’t go saying I’m a liar, because if so, I’ll leave right now! Oh, now you're interested eh, well then, sit down and get ready to pay attention. My name is Allen, and to start this story, we’ll have to go back to two weeks ago….

CUT ONE

“no phoebe, I’m not lying, you’ve gotta listen to me” Allen shouted.

“Allen, this is preposterous,” Phoebe said,” there’s no way tha-“

Allen cut across her

“Just listen to the whole story ok?”

“Fine” phoebe sighed.

CHAPTER ONE 

“Thank you Allen, our house really does need the work” Mrs bells said thoughtfully.

“No problem” I said “ I need the money, so really it’s nothing.

I was going to be doing mrs and mr bells chores while they went to Korea for a week. She said they would pay twenty dollars a day, so I just couldn’t resist.

“Well” mrs. Bells said “ bye you sweet boy, see you next Friday”

“Bye mrs. Bells” I waved

And they were gone.

I immediately got to work. I dusted, mopped, swept, vacuumed, all the usual.

But then I went down to the basement to do the laundry. I noticed somthing out of the corner of my eye, an extremely old mirror, dusty and creepy looking. And then I spotted in the mirror the silhouette of a little girl, with a white dress and waist long black hair that covered her eyes.

I stared, and even though her eyes were covered, I could tell she was staring back……

CUT TWO

“What!” Phoebe said,”that’s impossible”

“I can assure you that it’s true” Allen said.

“Ghosts aren’t real Allen”, she rolled her eyes

“ WHO SAID IT WAS A GHOST!” Allen shouted.

“Hush Allen” phoebe whispered, “you’ll wake up your parents”.

“Fat chance phoebe” Allen said,”there out of town”......

CHAPTER TWO

I bolted, as fast as I could upstairs and out of that house. ‘No way….no way’ I said that to myself probably a thousand times a second. I got to my door, opened it, and shut it very fast. My mom stood there.

“What’s up with you Allen?” She said “ shouldn’t you still be cleaning?”

“I’m done for today,” I said as I walked upstairs to my room.i plopped down on my bed and fell asleep.

I dreamed I as back in the basement, the girl standing there, gradually getting closer.

I’d wake up, go back to sleep, have the dream again, wake up, etc, etc. 

So I gotta say, this mirror totally turned my life around….

CUT THREE

“Why didn’t you tell me about this sooner Allen?” Phoebe asked,”I am your girlfriend after all.”

“ I didn’t think you’d believe me” Allen said quietly.

“ well” she said,”I am still being a little skeptical about this” she narrowed her eyes “ but go on”

A clap of thunder deafens Allen's  response

“ looks like it’s gonna rain” he said “ but anyway, where was I…..”

CHAPTER THREE 

‘I still have to do her laundry’ I thought to myself, ‘it has to be done michacho, or no money for you’

I got dressed and walked over to the bells house, I unlocked the door, stepped inside, caught my breath, and walked down to the basement…

It was still there, clear as ever. Though he didn’t see the creepy girl yet, he did see somthing he didn’t see the day before, there were words along the top, it read ‘THE MIRROR OF CONSEQUENCES.’

I pulled out my phone and took a picture of it immediately. As soon as I pulled it down though, she was there. Though I noticed something, she was closer, probably by a foot, than the day before, my instincts than kicked again, and I ran...

I wasn’t as shocked as the day before, so I calmed down faster, but I was also really mad! She was a little girl, I was seventeen, and I acted as though if she attacked me, I couldn’t stand up for myself.

I went to my room and immediately googled ‘ the mirror of consequences’ and here’s what I got:

The mirror of consequences, or more commonly known as the mirror of death, is what one would call a cursed mirror, as all who have seen it died within two weeks after. From our knowledge however, all who have seen it have done something to deserve consequence, hence, the name. Not much else is known as there is no photographic evidence, or eye witnesses alive to explain, and as it has not been seen for over 200 years.

I wanted to cry, but my brain couldn’t register the emotion…..

CUT FOUR 

“Well,” phoebe said simply, “have you done anything to deserve consequences?”

“Well” Allen said “maybe”

Phoebes voice changed, “huh, what did yo-“

Her voice was blurred and muffled afterwards

“Sorry” she said “ the storm messed with the reception and the call froze a bit, but anyway” she went on,” what did you do Allen?”

“I” he said, “I was in a shoe shop downtown, and I saw the employee go to the bathroom, so I took a sweet pair of shoes and ran off”.

“Allen oh my gosh” she said

“It’s all fake phoebe” Allen said “ let’s just continue the story….”

CHAPTER FOUR

I went back to the bells house three more times that week,means every time I did, the girl was closer, and on the fifth day, she was about a foot away.

By now, I wasn’t scared, I was angry! I wanted to know who or what this little girl was.

Blood surged through my head and I shaked and rocked with anger, I soon found my self screaming at the top of my lungs-

“Who are you!”

And then, for the first time, she spoke.

“ I Allen, am Teresa” her creepy voice said. “ you’ve been a naughty boy Allen, and its time you got your consequence” her voice echoed, she laughed.

It was the laugh that made me run, it was so cold, like it belonged to a demon. A chill went down my spine, and, to be honest with you, it felt like ice entered my stomach.

Like the first night, I dreamed of her, Teresa, and I kept waking up worrying about what my consequence was….

CUT FIVE

“Are you serious” phoebe whispered.

“Absolutely” Allen said

“And your not scared?”

“Phoebe, ghosts aren’t real, and-“

Phoebe cut across him

“Well, if what your saying is true, then obvious they are!”

“But” Allen started 

“No” Phoebe said, “keep going”.....

CHAPTER FIVE

The bells arrived hat morning, I immediately went over to them.

“Allen!” Mrs. Bells said “ what a nice surprise, now, your money” 

She started to dig in her purse

“Mrs. Bells, forget about the money, I have a question”

“Ask away then, ask away”

“In your basement, a mirror was there, I just wanted to know where you got it”.

Mrs. Bells looked puzzled “ we don’t have a mirror in our basement”

Mr.bells nodded…….

CUT SIX

“Now, here we are” Allen said simply

“Wow” phoebe sighed,”but still, somthing bothers me”

“What?” Allen said

“In the google, it said most people don’t live two weeks after seeing the mirror” she said 

“Right”

“So, how long has it been since the bells left?”

“About two weeks” Allen said

Phoebe said nothing

Crash!

“What the-?” Allen started

“Allen, I thought you said your parents were out” phoebe said.

“That’s the thing” Allen whispered, “ they are”

“Allen, you should get out of your house” phoebe said

“Phoebe, I’m 17, whoever it is, I can take it”

“ALLEN, NO!”

But Allen was already on his way downstairs with a a baseball bat. He steeped on the last stair. ‘Whoever is in here,’ he thought, ‘their awfully quiet’

“WHO’S THER-“

He froze, before him, stood the mirror of consequences, and Teresa, who, for the first time, was not in the mirror. 

“Time is up Allen”her creepy voice whispered, “time to pay”

She pulled out a very old dagger, and leaped toward Allen. He barely had time to shout, he couldn’t count how many times he was stabbed.

He was dead before he hit the floor.

“Allen?” Phoebe said, “Allen?”..........

EPILOGUE 

After Allen’s funeral, Phoebe's mood took a drastic change. She spent her time in the school bathroom crying, and for this reason, her friends stopped talking to her.

One day, she was in the bathroom crying again, and as she went to step out the bathroom door that lead to the hallway, there stood a mirror, and a little girl.

“No” phoebe cried, “NO!” 

“Sorry phoebe” Teresa said, “ but you know far too much”

Teresa leaped forward.   

Nobody heard phoebe's scream………..

The end…….