Do Something Great | Teen Ink

Do Something Great MAG

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way." - J. F. Clarke

I have always wondered what it would be like to be famous and accomplish a task as great as walking on the moon, winning a Nobel Peace Prize or inventing a cure. But even if something of this magnitude should not occur in my lifetime, I can still make a difference.

Many people today do not attempt to make a difference because they are too preoccupied with their own day-to-day lives. Everyone can help change the world for the better. Here is how.

First, you have to put down the remote control and get up. Once you finally muster the courage to do this, things will get easier. Next, you have to decide how you are going to make a difference. Some ideas include picking up trash, painting over graffiti, visiting someone whom you know is lonely, working at a food pantry, volunteering at your local church, or becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister. If you cannot do any of these things, you can even just hold doors for others, help someone with groceries, help someone cross the street, make an effort to get along better with your family, or just be kind to others. Remember that none of the things you can do are too small.

After you decide what you want to do, you have to make time to carry it out. This may not always be easy. You may have to compromise in order to make someone else happy, but don't worry - it is well worth the effort.

Finally, you have to get out and do what you have set out to do. You cannot do it without commitment and you should not feel as if someone is forcing you to do it. Trust me, if you get out and do your part, you will feel good and you'll be glad you did it. You will have made a difference. ?