Why We Write | Teen Ink

Why We Write

By MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

If you're a writer, such as myself, you've probably been asked a million times, "Why are you writing?" How can you explain something like that so everyone would understand it? You can't really.

I write, because I have to.

If I don't sit down, and stop to take sometime to write, I feel like my wold is blowing apart. It's like something is just screaming at me. I can't stand it. Eventually, I have to just give in and let my words flow. It's how I get rid of my stress, my worries, and my sorrow. Like everyone in this world, I've had my fair share of those things, and probably wouldn't be able to face the girl in the mirror if I didn't have a way to get all of it out of me.

What do I write? If only I knew. Honestly, I have no idea what drives the pieces I come up with. When I decide to write something, it never turns out as I planned. It always evolves into something completely not what I planned. (Except this. I’m making myself stay on topic.) I write romance, hate, lust, betrayal, peace, war, refined, and coarse. I never know what will end up on a piece of paper, especially if I let it fester for long. When I start writing, it’s almost like I’m a different person. Marie Antoinette 2012 and I are different people stuck together. It sounds weird, but if you like to write, you get it. When I start writing, something snaps and I feel like taking on the world. It’s my release.

Let’s face it, I don’t know why I write, or about eighty percent of the time, even what I’m writing. All I know, is it is my vice, the one thing I’ll never give up in life. They’ll have to pry the pen and paper from my dead hands before I’ll even consider giving up.

Thank you very much. I'm one of those people who has too much time on my hands, and one day, I just started writing.

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Nice! I feel the same way, all my friends hate writing, except for me. I love your conclusion, it's very strong!