Not A Perfect Dad, But He Is My Dad | Teen Ink

Not A Perfect Dad, But He Is My Dad

June 1, 2014
By LiveToBelieve SILVER, Hanover, Maryland
LiveToBelieve SILVER, Hanover, Maryland
8 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live A Life To Believe..."


Since when have you actually sat down and looked at someone? Like their features, the details, facial expressions, and eyes? Mainly, to realize what life has done to that person. I was sitting down next to the man who brought me to this world. My Dad. I noticed how the amount of white hairs sticking out of his head increased over these past few years. I noticed that his eyes had wrinkles and he was beginning to look old. I noticed how tired and stressed he looked. From his expression, I could tell he was not in the best mood. I have never really sat down and talked to my dad. I have been too focused with what he has not done than what he has done. He is not the perfect dad I wanted. No, he is not the best dad ever. But he is my dad. My one and only dad. He brought me to this world and treated me with love. Yes, we have arguments, but we can never be mad at each other for long. Yes I say I hate him , but in reality, I love him with all my heart. Because of him, I have learned how to be independent, to truly understand someone, and to accept ones love. He never said the right things at the right time. It was always the opposite, meaning he said the wrong things at the wrong time. He was also never good with words when it comes to expressing his thoughts and feelings. But because of this, I learned to understand words from different angles. When words comes out of ones mouth, there are audiences whom each understand the words in different ways, and the speaker who said these words in his or her own reason and opinion. This is exactly why many misunderstandings and miscommunication occur. Which is also why many relationships (not just boyfriend and girlfriend) gain tension. I have learned to accept my dad as he is for no one is perfect. There was never a manual or guidelines to how to be a perfect dad. He became a parent whom was happy to hold his daughter in his hands and see her grow. He was the one who imagined me to be his perfect girl and not only have I learned that he can’t be a perfect dad, he has also learned that I can’t be his perfect girl. But he loves me for me. He remembers me as the miracle that was brought to him to make him smile all the time. And that, is the image I will have him keep of me. I have changed so much myself that I forgot how to make him smile. From now on, I won’t be the perfect daughter, but I will be his daughter that always made him smile and proud. And he will always be the dad that was not perfect, but loved by his daughter and one who loves his daughter with all his heart.


The author's comments:
This is a little something that I wrote when thinking about my father. He is not the dad I?wished for nor a perfect dad. In fact, he sucks at it, but despite all that, he is still my dad. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be alive. He gave me life and gave me this chance to see the beauty of this world on my own. And I, will always be his daughter.