Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

November 22, 2009
By Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments

Recently i have began to question the motive behind banding gay marriages. I wanted a reason, an answer and an explanation as to why my aunt can not marry. The truth is there is no LEGAL reason why they cannot marry. Here's my thing... think about this, if you ask a person why gays can't marry they say because its not right and if you keep pushing the issue of why its not right it all goes back to religion."because the bible says its wrong" a friend of mine once said to me. In law and politics you are told to separate church from state, yet gays are immoral because the bible says that... in America we have freedom of religion. If we are going to base homosexual relationships on religion we must take ALL religions into consideration since our 1st amendment says freedom of religion. Buddha was not for or against gay marriages so the Buddhist religion should be in affect here.I think by refusing gays their right to marry is unconstitutional and goes against the 1st amendment because not all Americans are christian and that's what we are basing it off of.


The author's comments:
Gay rights.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 36 comments.


on Jul. 16 2010 at 4:13 pm
tianaxbiddy SILVER, Wareham, Massachusetts
9 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Plot is character revealed by action."




-Aristotle

u r soooooooooooooooooooooooo right. in america there are more than just christains there are other reliogions too (i prob just splet that wrong). we are all the same so shouldnt we be treated the same????

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 11:35 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
Thank you, i tried to make it longer but its hard with a 4 year old little brother screaming in the background.

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 11:33 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
I agree completely, it should be allowed everywhere.

Kavishg BRONZE said...
on May. 30 2010 at 8:54 am
Kavishg BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 39 comments
I totally agree, i've had those kind of conversations with others myself.  There is nothing "not right" about being gay, it is what they are born as, just as others are born straight.  They are not "weird' because they are gay, its just the way they are.  Nowadays, no one accepts that, they think its a disability.  Just like deafness, deaf ppl used to be looked down upon as not intelligient because they couldn't hear, when they were actually sometimes more intelligient than hearing people.  Same with blind people.  I totally agree about religion, but i think that gay marriage should be allowed everywhere, not just the united states (which is implied here because you talk about the constitution)  We should just accept gay people for who they are, not look down on their differences.

on May. 8 2010 at 6:41 pm
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Not EVERYONE is gay. There is a small minority of gay people; they aren't hurting anyone. The global population is too large anyway. If an opposite-sex marriage is infertile or if they choose not to have a child, is that OK then?

on May. 8 2010 at 3:15 pm
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
31 articles 4 photos 167 comments
Wow! really well written. Good job. I think the topic is really interesing, and you explained it well.

Bobbi PLATINUM said...
on Apr. 21 2010 at 3:51 pm
Bobbi PLATINUM, Terry, Mississippi
39 articles 1 photo 46 comments
many young women are infertile does that mean you are saying they should not marry? Because your whole basis is same sex couples cannot bear children but many opposite sex couples also cannot.

endofsilence said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 7:04 pm
endofsilence, Williamsburg, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Time wasted having fun wasn't time wasted at all." -John Lennon

Greatly put. I couldn't have said it better myself

on Apr. 16 2010 at 11:17 am
snow_monkey BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
3 articles 1 photo 3 comments
Well, a MAN and WOMEN are created and born to marry the opposite sex.  You can't have a kid if people of the same sex marry.  If everyeon was gay, our population growth would go down.

on Apr. 6 2010 at 3:16 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

So they dont have equal rights just because they dont want to do what they have the right to? Do you see my point?

on Apr. 6 2010 at 2:53 pm
MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 148 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Yeah, only to the opposite gender...do you see my point? Homosexuals don't want the opposite gender. (Not all, but most.)

on Apr. 6 2010 at 12:25 am
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

Heterosexuals can't marry whomever they want either. We all have the same rights. We all have the right to marry someone of the opposite gender.

on Mar. 25 2010 at 3:23 pm
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

You want a reason for banning gay marriage? Here's the reason: People are idiots. It is immature to ban gay marriage; you're just squirmy at the idea of someone who has different sexual opinions than you. Get over it. You're not babies. Grow up.

Your article was true and this is something people should definitely consider.

on Mar. 25 2010 at 10:27 am
MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 148 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Actually, you're wrong. Homosexuals and heterosexuals don't have the same rights but her aunt cannot get married to whomever she wants unless it is of the opposite sex, which is not what she wants. So, in that case there is a big difference between gay's and straight's rights.

Btw, I think your article is great. I agree all the way.

on Mar. 3 2010 at 9:58 pm
MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California
0 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

Your aunt has every right to get married. She has the exact same rights as a straight person. I can't marry a woman either (not that I would want to) . SO enough of this "We deserve equal rights" stuff. A gay person has the EXACT same rights as me, a straight person. Nowhere in the constitution or bill of mrights does it give you the right to marry the person you love. Marriage is a man and a woman.

on Dec. 4 2009 at 7:31 pm
I completely agree with your point! It was well expressed. Try to expand your article and edit for spelling mistakes to make it more effective to read.