Racism Races on... | Teen Ink

Racism Races on...

January 18, 2011
By EricaLeigh SILVER, Alton, New Hampshire
EricaLeigh SILVER, Alton, New Hampshire
6 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11


Racism, a definition we read as “hatred or intolerance of another race or other races” at www.dictionary.com. Hatred or intolerance towards another race in my opinion is appalling. How could you possibly ever dream of showing hatred or intolerance towards someone just because they are of a different race? In the Pulitzer Prize winning novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” written by Harper Lee we are given a depiction of exactly how African Americans were treated. This novel brings attention to the readers of a serious civil rights issue.


We see throughout the novel how African Americans were treated just because of their race. These people were treated cruelly and unlawfully. African Americans were not allowed the same privileges and rights as Whites and they were thought to be of no good use except as servants towards the Whites. What is it about skin color and physical appearance that makes these people “less than us”? In the novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” we come to understand that an African American man is being convicted of a rape charge. Through reading the story we come to learn that this man was convicted simply out of hatred towards the African American race, when he was honestly innocent.


I would like to say at this point that racism was a “thing of the past”, something that is long over and done with; however, I cannot say that because I would be lying. Racism is something that is still raging throughout the world today. I am proud to say that African Americans are now given the same privileges and rights as Americans, but racism towards this race is not something that has gone away. American needs to open their eyes and realize that this is an issue that needs to be dealt with. What happened to all men are created equally? Do you believe that racism is over and done with? Or do you believe that it still lurks around every corner?


The author's comments:
This is an opinion piece that I wrote for my English class which expresses my opinion towards the issues presented in the text.