Racism in America | Teen Ink

Racism in America

By Patriot35 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Patriot35 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Racial discrimination is a problem in America for the minority races such as Latinos and African-American people. Racial discrimination is treating someone wrong because he or she is a certain color. Some ways they are treated differently are racial stereotypes, not getting fair work at jobs and even police brutality. Black males born in 2001 have a 32% chance of going to jail at one point in their life. Lations have a 17% chance and whites have more than a 6% chance to go to jail.

African-Americans are not always treated the same in the US as whites are. They get targeted by police, their jail sentences are typically longer than that of whites, and even get poor quality services. Police target African-Americans especially in New York. In New York police pull over African-Americans more often, arrest them for marijuana charges more often,and even use more force, but then lie to the court saying that the person had attacked first or resisted arrest. In one case police had started an arrest, but couldn’t find any good evidence so what they did was take one of the men to a less busy street and they beat him up there. They had him pinned down on the floor and had him out numbered, but that didn’t stop them from beating him and sending him to the hospital. Another example took place in Alabama. An African-American man was in a high speed car chase with police officers, and it ended when his car tipped over sending him flying out of the window. When he fell out of the window he became unconscious, but the police still jumped on him and started beating him. Statistics show that police pullover African-Americans more often than other races. In the US about 3,000,000 African-Americans were arrested in the year of 2011. Another statistic shows that one in every three African-American men will be in prison at one time or another in their life. African-Americans or four times as likely to be arrested for marijuana substance-abuse even though African-Americans and whites use them at the same rate.

Latino people are also treated differently in the US. Some Ways they are treated differently is by racial profiling and not getting fair job chances at work. Some studies show 29% of Hispanic workers have experienced discrimination or unfair treatment in the workplace at one point or another. Of those people 77% said that the offender is not held accountable for his/her actions. Statistics say 53% do not get credit for their own work, 38% do not get a raise or bonus, 37% feel like they are not being taken seriously, and 32% are being overlooked for a promotion. in North Carolina the police department hired two university professors for an experiment. They wanted to see the rate in which they pulled over Latino people or whites or any other race. What they found is that deputies in North Carolina pulled over Latinos for violations six times more than whites.

Maybe racial profiling has saved a couple lifes. Maybe you see a guy on the street and he looks suspicious. You stop him and ask what he’s doing. Maybe he’s about to rob a store or commit some other crime. You could’ve even saved a life or two. Congrats. That’s where racial profiling could be good (if it ever is). Then there’s the possibility that you’re completely wrong and just offended some guy because he looked suspicious.

So I hope I have shown you that racism is a problem in the United States. Some possible solutions could be hiring a more diverse police force or in a workplace have an entire division for a certain race. These are just some simple solutions to a big problem.