Pot Should Be Legal | Teen Ink

Pot Should Be Legal

January 31, 2010
By Anonymous

My view on drugs has definetly changed over the past year. I think marijuana should be legal. Why? Because I don't think it's that dangerous of a drug. It slows down your body process and calms you down. As long as your in a safe place while your smoking it, not much will happen. Lets face it, well at least in my school, 7 out of 10 teens have tried pot. And the kids in my school aren't stupid kids mmost of them get A's and B's. Personally i think the economy will go up if pot becomes legal. If we tax on pot, the government will make some money. A lot of high school and college will be willing to pay for pot. Look at Holland drugs are legal there and their country is a thriving country. I think pot should be legal for people 18 and older. People shouldn't be allowed to smoke pot and drive and should only be allowed to buy a certain amount a year. That is my view on pot.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 58 comments.


jlovest2x said...
on Sep. 18 2012 at 6:23 pm
jlovest2x, Danbury, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
i belive this is truee

on May. 10 2012 at 9:08 pm
corazon.de.cielo, Billings, Montana
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
A year ago I would have completely agreed with you. But in the past few months I have seen so many of my cheerful, inspiring, and promising friends go the complete opposite after they began smoking pot. I miss who they used to be so much and it's heartbreaking to me what they are doing to their futures and to the people who surround them. I'm not saying that everyone who tries pot will immediately go "down the drain", but I've seen it enough to advocate against legallizing marijuana. When you smoke it's not a choice that only affects you - it affects everyone around you as well. I'm proof of that.

reaver BRONZE said...
on Jan. 12 2012 at 10:12 am
reaver BRONZE, Evenston, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 13 comments
they give it to them so that they will eat when you have cancer you dont want to eat so when there given pot they get the munches

tiptop said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 8:32 pm
tiptop, --, Other
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
heaven is a place / a place where nothing / nothing ever happens.

only can cause schizophrenia if youre predisposed to it (i.e. family member has it) and even then it is extremely rare

tiptop said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 8:27 pm
tiptop, --, Other
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
heaven is a place / a place where nothing / nothing ever happens.

I graduated as the salutatorian from my high school, and as an Ontario scholar (85% grades or higher) and smoked weed every day.  I got into one of the most difficult first year programmes in canada, and was successful...while smoking pot every day.  I got into a summer creative writing programme at Columbia University, an ivy league school...while smoking pot everyday.  While her points arent well supported there is plenty of evidence to suggest that legalization of pot is beneficial to the individual and society.  For example, there are less recreational pot users per capita in holland (residents) than in America or Canada.  This is thought to be because if it's not "forbidden" less people will be tempted to use it--typical adam and eve deal.  Furthermore, I use marijuana recreationally, as well as for a disorder that causes inflamation of my intestines--there is no cure, and the only thing that relieves my pain is pot.  As well, the ability to maintain control of your sitatuion and surroundings while stoned is much better than when drunk--and weed is MUCH less addictive, and you cant overdose, or get a nasty little thing called alcohol poisoning or psoriasis of the liver from it.  If you ask me, I'd say marijuana is less harmful than not only hard drugs, but also tobacco and alcohol.  

on Dec. 8 2011 at 6:16 pm
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia
35 articles 0 photos 1398 comments

Favorite Quote:
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Not to jump on the whole say-no-to -drugs-because-they-are-bad-and-you-don't-know-anything bandwagon, but I feel your opinion on the issue would make more of a statement if you had more facts or evidence included in your article. Also, a bit more length couldn't hurt.

on Dec. 8 2011 at 9:38 am
SweetlyBroken, Leesville, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
not true. if it does then why do they give it to cancer paitents???

on Dec. 8 2011 at 9:37 am
SweetlyBroken, Leesville, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
tottaly truee..

on Jul. 8 2011 at 11:06 pm
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

It's been proven it's not a gateway drug. The only reason it's associated with that is because you have to go to a dealer to obtain pot. They will try to pressure you into trying a new drug simply so they can make money. 

on Jul. 8 2011 at 11:03 pm
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

You do know that all the studies that show marinjuanna is bad for you were conducted incorrectly. They were conducted on chimps that were given gas masks and inhaled strictly marijuanna smoke with no oxygen for long periods of time. The lack of oxygen is what hurt them. This was known as the Rhesus Monkey Experiment.

 

Also, it's not true that you need more and more marijuanna to get high each time. One bowl will get a person high just about everytime. Good or bad weed. Yes, a person will gradually build up a tolerance overtime, but that can happen with plenty of other substances too. One for example would be caffeine, you drink it in coffee and soda, but you don't get the same effect everytime you drink it as you originally did. You build up a gradual tolerance to it overtime.


on Jul. 8 2011 at 10:54 pm
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

Don't care, still gonna educate. The gateway drug theory has no scientific evidence behind it, and in fact it's disproved through Amsterdam's partial legalization of marijuana. When pot smokers went up, crack heads and heroin addicts went down. The reason it's considered a "gateway drug" is because most dealers try to push other drugs they have on their weed buyers to get more money.

on Jul. 8 2011 at 4:36 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 324 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I really don't feel like dealing with immature people who seem as if they want to spend their life adrift in a cloud, and/or finish high school with terrible grades because they were busy using an illegal substance. You do know that the primary concern about marijuana is that it's a gateway drug? That means that using it could lead to teens using other, more dangerous drugs. If you reply to this, I will not be replying in turn, because as I said before, I don't want to waste time arguing with people who clearly are being immature about the topic.

on Jul. 7 2011 at 5:06 pm
Alicia1998 BRONZE, Elma, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"winning":)

I see things totaly different in my veiw it shouldnt be legal. Maybe you havent done much research on it but "pot" slows down the process of your brain. like you sayed but by doing that it damages it. You say tryed it. Yes a lot of people have tryed it but that shouldnt give it a right to be legal. Most "Pot Heads" as some might say were in that same position they just "tryed it" but then the ygot adictted it became a game. why should the government alow someone to do something that would harm their body...?

on Jul. 7 2011 at 9:19 am
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

Above the Influence is still drowning in outdated philosophy and science from the 1930's. Weed affects many different people in different ways, there is a possibility to become complacent, but it's my strong belief that you won't if you weren't lazy already. It really depends on the person you already are. You can't label the entire community of stoners as lazy because you know 1 or 2 that are. 

on Jul. 7 2011 at 9:10 am
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

Yes, please preach the ignorance of Reefer Madness.

on Jul. 7 2011 at 9:09 am
Thoreau420 SILVER, Martinsburg, West Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is its destruction." - Bob Marley

You aren't looking at it with logic. Realize, while you don't like it, others do, why should you restrict them? I hate when kids around me drink or do tobacco, but it's their choice. While you may not like it, it definatley should be legal, despite what you define as "having a life."

jessicametts said...
on May. 2 2011 at 8:21 pm
jessicametts, Gulfport, Mississippi
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment
Pot is just another substance to worry about, why make more stress?

on May. 2 2011 at 3:05 am
Purplefilly SILVER, Medford, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Todo se vale en amor y la guerra.

And since you know you cannot see so well as by reflection, I, your glass, will modestly discover to yourself, that of yourself, which you yet know not of.

No offence, but I COMPLETELY disagree with you. I have friends that are smoking weed because it "keeps them alive". Uh, no. And on top of that, at my school its 47% of sophmores, all of which are IDIOTS who need to get lives. If you want pot legalized, you should stop smoking it, then look back at it with some logic.

on Feb. 26 2011 at 8:40 am
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 324 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Actually, smoking and drinking are not legal until you are 18 and 21 (you know which age goes with which substance). So, technically, they're not legal for us, unless you're over one of those ages. :)

on Feb. 26 2011 at 8:38 am
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 324 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

That's actually true, and not to sound like a killjoy or anything, but it can also kill you over a period of time. Personally, I'd rather be a bit less creative than I could've been and still be alive, rather than be creative only to die from cancer or heart disease. But that's just me! :)