Love | Teen Ink

Love

By 3berenson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3berenson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Love. Love is a simple word with 4 letters and one syllable, yet it is one of the greatest mysteries and most powerful words in the English language. So, what is love? The greatest minds of all time have asked this question and could still not come up with an answer. Love is a central theme among music, literature, and entertainment and yet we still don’t know what love really is. While I am only 16 and only have a small taste of life, family, friends, and dating have helped me find my answer to what love is.  Love is not just a feeling, a person, or a place. Love is a connection. Love is trusting another person the way you trust yourself and giving up things that you want in order to benefit the other person, without expecting anything in return. In all, love is a gift of yourself to another person. This is why love is a beautiful thing and at the center of our society. However, even the biggest roses have thorns. When you love a friend, relative, or significant other and that bond is broken, it takes that piece of you with it, and that piece sometimes can’t grow back. This heartbreak is a feeling that every human experiences and can cause love to be scary. But that is love. Love comes slow and- Snap! It’s gone. Love can be beautiful and scary, but at the end of the day, it is one thing that we will always be pursuing.