Hook Ups; Destructive, Yet Standardized | Teen Ink

Hook Ups; Destructive, Yet Standardized

June 5, 2023
By berubekayla BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
berubekayla BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Is hooking up truly more satisfactory than having a committed relationship?  I’m not sure there really is one definite answer.  Boomers may agree since most are married and living happy lives with their soulmates.  But in my generation, Gen Z, many people would disagree.  Hookups are the much more popular option, especially among college students who fail to have the desire to maintain a relationship.  While in the spur of the moment it may seem adventurous, fun, and free, there are many more shortcomings than there appear to be.

So why is hookup culture so popular in this decade?  According to The Michigan Daily, most college students choose this lifestyle as it enhances a sort of power over their body since they can decide whatever and whoever they want to use it with.  Having a sense of power or control can be very appealing, especially to the young eye.  College students also have found ease in using dating apps and obtaining contraceptives which help protect them from disease or pregnancy scares.  Because of these easy options, college students tend to lean toward this culture.

Furthermore, peer pressure and fitting in with society has become a consistent struggle for teens and young adults specifically.  The Michigan Daily reports that  lots of women participate in this culture.  According to the American Psychological Association, 40-60% of North American college students have had some sort of hook-up experience.  But do they all truly want this lifestyle?  Some would say no.  Many young females feel pressured into this culture because their female counterparts participate in it.  As a result of this, they aren’t finding satisfaction in their lifestyle and are giving men more power than they need.  These women want true connections but instead, they end up going home with some random guy they met at a party and not even knowing what he looked like in the morning.  Societal pressure has influenced this culture on many college students, especially girls, and it's leading to more consequences even though it seems like harmless fun.

To continue, a study conducted by the National Library of Medicine shows that female and male counterparts have different levels of oxytocin, a hormone attributed to trust, relationship-building, and sexual activity.  Females release much higher levels than males.  This means women are left feeling alone, frustrated, and sad after these sexual actions.  I have heard from female peers of mine that they struggle with hookups because they often end up feeling more depressed and in search of someone to fulfill their needs as the hookup did not.  This seems to be very common which is why hookups have become so popular, it’s the easy option to fulfill the desire quickly.  While some women may say they love the hookup culture, facts can’t be changed.  Is this lifestyle worth the drastic side effects that result from it?

Additionally, Modern Intimacy discusses how sexual trauma can occur if consent is absent.  Sexual trauma can take an enormous toll on someone’s mental health.  College students have enough to balance already, so this added stressor can put them over the edge.  It’s vital that we are aware of our partner's intentions before participating in any sexual conduct to lessen the risks.  No one wants to be the one who’s a rape victim or labeled as a “predator.”

Hooking up has become very prominent in today’s culture and it seems to be more popular than committed relationships.  People would rather pick up their phone, send a quick text or photo, do the deed, and be done with it until the next time they get the inclination to act again.  

There needs to be a change.

At this rate, the number of marriages in our generation will be little to zero.  Kids need the time in college to have these experiences.  But they do need to, at some point, make the adjustment and mature because, if not, it is going to result in lots of mentally ill adults who have no desire for any sexual interaction.  Reevaluate your sex life and your goals.  How are you going to get there?  Do you want to be living a happy adulthood with the ability to make all of the decisions you want to live your best life?  Or would you rather turn into a void of emotion and be single forever in a depressive state?  It’s your choice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Works Cited

Garcia, Justin R. “Sexual hook-up culture.” American Psychological Association, apa.org, Feb.

2013, apa.org/monitor/2013/02/ce-corner 

National Library of Medicine. “Sex-Related Differences in Plasma Oxytocin Levels in Humans.”

National Library of Medicine, ncib.com, 26 Mar. 2019

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6446474/ 

Ripes, Jessie. “Does Hookup Culture Impact Mental Health?” Modern Intimacy,

modernintimacy.com, 14 Oct. 2021 modernintimacy.com/does-hookup-culture-impact-mental-health/ 

Trupiano, Anna. “The dark side of hookup culture for women.” The Michigan Daily,

michigandaily.com, 31 Oct. 2022

michigandaily.com/opinion/the-dark-side-of-hookup-culture-for-women/ 


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece from the perspective of a teenage girl who sees this culture developing at a rapid speed.  Awareness needs to be brought to everyone in order to create a change.