Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Yes, this is true. Sometimes people date for like 3 weeks and they start to say "I love you" when in all fact they don't.

bubbagump96 GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

"A friend shares their umbrella. A best friend grabs it and yells 'Run, Forrest, run!'".

I believe that if you're a mature teenager then true love in highschool is possible. My parents started dating when my mom was in 8th grade any  my father in 9th. They had a happy, healthy relationship. There was never any adultery or anything of the sorts. They were married when my mom was 20 and stayed married until my Dad's death some 13 years after their being together. I also know of another couple (that happens to be my parents best friends) that have also been together since their freshman/sophmore years of highschool. So I guess this makes me biased. ;) I loved the article by the way. Short and sweet, also very thought provoking. :) 

pink unicorn said...
i like you

Mady said...
that is very discriminating......

Madelyn said...
it leaves them no where

PiinkFaeriie said...
PiinkFaeriie, Weslaco, Texas

"Tell me. I've trusted no one since my parent's death. So why is it that I find it so easy to tell and give you everything I treasure...." -Alexialle Matthews

I truly do belive in love, being 16 and in high school, I think I am not only entitled to my own opinion but to my own experience. My boyfriend is really sweet and despite the bumps in our relationship, we have managed to dismiss each and every one of them and tell each other we love one another. True love has no limits and you are never supposed to allow jealous and envious individuals to get between you. My advice to all other young high school lovers is to be yourself in the relationship and always be open about your feelings to one another.

Frank said...
When people think about love, true love, they usually think about movies. But if movies are acting, and unreal. Where does that leave love?

Learn6611 said...
I hate the girls in my grade that are dating.. I mean come on, your 13 you can't possibly know how powerful love is. Highschool, now there's a difference because your a young adult. And, I do belive that there is love in highschool.

sophza PLATINUM, Sacramento, California

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ~Ferris Bueller

I think that love could happen in high school under the right circumstances, and yet so often I find girls who think that they should just sit there and wait for that right circumstance. Sitting gets you no where. If you are truly that obsessed with finding love, be ACTIVE.

TheRacoon BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California
As long as you have a brain (I'm talking human brain cuz I dunno about others) then you can love.  Love is chemicals in the brain that make us well, love.  A 5 year old can fall in love with another 5 year old and it can possibly be as strong as that love between two 30 year olds or 50 year olds or 80 year olds.  Expression and recognision of love is different but it's always there.

kksexi12 said...

I agree with you, my boyfriend and I were friends since we were two and now I am twelve. We just started going out after me having a really rough breakup, he has been there for me and i really love him but no one believes me. It is possible for teenagers to love one another.

I love the fact that no matter what wether others agree or not I love someone who love me no matter what. I think that is enough to be called love, don't you?

dk232 said...
i agree with you also pawje as well as writegirl14

The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Um, yes. Isn't that what I was just saying? That teenage love is actually plausible?

kekeshawty:) said...
.Ii real belive in teenage love its real not puppy love!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Hmmmm, it really is an interesting question, and it reminds me of something my father once told me, when we witnessed some one leaving his bride at the alter due to his own craven cowardice. He (my father, that is) said to me that happiness is fleeting, but that doesn't mean that it's meaningless. And that doesn't mean that one should avoid happiness to avoid pain. In the end, happiness only fades when you stop working at it. And, I guess that if there are people that will continue to work at it, then love can blossom despite age. After all, that's what Cardcaptor Sakura is about, isn't it? (Hehehehehe, obscure nerd-reference) As for me, well........I'm afraid the idea of recieving romantic love doesn't fit into my schema of reality. But who knows? Maybe there's some one out there who's willing to work for me. ....Nah, probably not.

veeevianlee BRONZE, Brea, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"color my life with chaos of trouble"
-500daysofsummer

I believe in teenage love. Not crushes. 

Hannibal_the_Vegetarian_Cannibal SILVER, A Nice Place In, Virginia

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anonymous

"For he loved her, as you can only love someone who is an echo of yourself in your time of deepest sorrow." ~ Orson Scott Card

I believe in teenage love . . . but I don't think people really start to fall in love untill maybe 16. The early teenage years are mostly spent trying to figure out what "love" really is. I don't think people really fall in love untill they are comfortable with their feelings and know what love really means to them. Before that, I don't think people really fall into "true" love.

Ally1832 SILVER, Bark River, Michigan

Wipe away the tears and walk away

I believe in it. It's true.

a tiger said...
i dont belive in it its totaly to young

BradCarrieshaw BRONZE, San Jose, California
I really liked this article! Short, sweet, and straight to the point. I LOVED how you stood up for our generation. I feel that most of the time adults AND teenagers alike are the first ones to criticize how immature our generation is when it comes to love, as if we know absolutely nothing and for some miraculous reason will figure out the whole meaning of love when we're about 28 and ready to marry. Thanks so much for this!