What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

By Incendiary SILVER, NY, New York
Incendiary SILVER, NY, New York

From the poet I learn that love is a flower. It blooms tenderly, taking days, maybe weeks, maybe even years, watered by care.
A second is all it takes for it to wilt, to wither and droop, like an October leaf. Silently. Gone.
The girl in my class says it’s wonderful. It’s a bit like flying.
From the author, I see that it’s loving another more than anything else in the world.
Reality tells me it’s parties, hangovers, arrests, and tears. More sour than the sea. More solitude than in an abyss.
What is love?
It’s that single echo, of a rock, dropped into eternal depths of that abyss. It tells you to wake up! Listen to me! I’ll tell you what love is, I’ll try!
Wake up.
It’s all around you. It’s inside yourself. When you find the love inside yourself, the love for yourself, for the sun, for the trees, for the breath that you exhale, you can finally live. I have found it. It’s not difficult. Let go of fake beliefs, expectations, and fears. Let go of those pointless tears. For whom are they shed?
And think. Think for yourself. What do you want?
I know what I want. I don’t think I want sensual love, love you can touch and love you can read and love you can take with you on a party or movie or beach. Though that would be nice. But still.
I want love I can FEEL.
Feel its breath become the atmosphere, feel its warmth in the sunrise outside my window, feel its presence with every motion of my hand and step of my foot, for in every second that I am alive, it lives with me, and thus I know I live.
What do YOU think love is?

Nothing in particular stimulated me to write this, just a rush of common sense. ;)

JaxBby said...
I think love is only an idea. We think we find love but in all reality it's out mind tricking us into becoming completely dependant on someone and losing our sense of independance.

I agree. I think love is important. But definitely if you’re going to love someone, you have to love YOURSELF. Everyone is entitled to have love. To feel love. It’s a powerful thing. And shouldn’t be taken for granted.  

i believe its very true; its true because it expresses the feeling behind what loves makes you feel and how you need to take care of it. that love is simply beautiful and has to be nuture from start to end just to make it last as long as possible

RAVENSHADOW said...
RAVENSHADOW, Windsor, Connecticut

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND MY SILENCE HOW CAN YOU UNDERSTAND MY WORLD?

i agree there this saying that goes love is just a word untill someone comes alongs and gives it meaning.

JasmineNoelle1 BRONZE, There Is No Need To Know This !!!, Texas

You never needed to change my darling you just need to have confidence in yourself to be yourself and not change for someone else.

sorry i guess i copied it opps....

Love:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres

~ 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

What does this all mean well when you love someone you are patient with them you love them and don't pressure them into doing something that you don't want to do. Love is kind when someone is kind to you love you with a deep passion. Love doesn't envy becasue they don't desire other things and want to possessed something. It doesn't talk about the things they did and there achivements. They don't dishonor someone or disrespect the person they love. They are not self righteous and they are not looking for someone to give them anything. They don't get so easily angry about something or at someone and they don't hold grudges over your head about something they forgive even though you are in the wrong. A person who is love doesn't prance around evil things. It delights in truthful things and trust the person they love.They hope and they always perservers meaning they stay with the one they love. That what Loves means!!!!

DoloresDarling, Cambridge, Ohio

Sarah Michelle Gellar- [on the importance of reading] I love books. I\'m constantly afraid we\'re moving into this digital era where books are going to go away, and to me books are the basis to everything in life. Reading is how we function.

I think love is when you find someone you care & love someone so much that you can't live without..or it aches when you wake up, knowing you can't be with the person you love etc.

Love is also something people take for advantage ;//

yousaypotato... SILVER, Peacedale, Rhode Island

"A good friend will bail you out of jail. But a best friend will be sitting right there with you saying 'Dang, we really screwed up this time.'"

what is love? baby dont hurt me, dont hurt me. no moreee.....

no one really knows what love is.

Myself as a Teen i know that heartache is out there, i have shed many tears over "love".  But oh well right we will be put through many trials.

<3Me

WindDancer GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

"It's time to start living the life you've imagined"
- Henry James

"I read to escape, I write to confront."

This is beautiful :)

chocolatechip BRONZE, Mississgaua, Other
i never really experienced love for myself.But i thinklove is a state of mind a place  where two people get to, where they share a unique bond that can't be broken or torn at.Love is to me the things you hate about  person  but you them at the same at to because they never change are always constant with that person.

i think love is wounderfull amazing careing nd beautieful most people believe they are in love but tht is what they dnt understand love is deeper then just a few kisses nd hugges 

DaisyC. said...
DaisyC., North Bennington, Vermont
I think love will be deffined differently by everyone. I think it could be when something isn't perfect but you wouldn't change anything becauseit is already what you want.

ChevelleNichole<3 BRONZE, Crestline, Ohio

"whoever said sunshine brings happiness has obviously never danced in the rain."

"Reality tells me it’s parties, hangovers, arrests, and tears. More sour than the sea. More solitude than in an abyss."  
I love this part.

This article is amazing. I think love is nothing like what the public makes it seem. It's happiness in the purest sense possible within both people. Not some fairytale spawning from some over-hopeful, over-imaginative writer praying with every movie(or book) they produce something like love will happen to them. It's so much more and yet so much less than what the media leads us to believe.

Not that I truly know what love is either, that's just how I feel about it all.

on Sep. 28 2009 at 10:16 am
smileysdeadvalentine GOLD, San Bernardino, California

"you like audry hepburn,harry houdinni and croket you can't swim, you can't dance and you don't know karate face you'll never gonna make it" "i dont want to make it"

i think love is sweet, unpredictable, painful, fragile,blinds you,takes you from reality

CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

I can't really say what I think love is. But I might say I think love is when you say, "I'll stay by your side no matter what. Through thick and thin. " I'm awating the day I find that special guy and sometimes I say, "I wonder where he is right now." So, I can't really say what I think love is.