I Hear Voices | Teen Ink

I Hear Voices MAG

By BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois
BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

I hear voices. That being said, I am not insane nor do I believe in ghosts or spirits.

I just love to listen.

I can hear the music in the deep voice of one of my teachers as he gives his instruction. The pitch of another teacher rises as he tries to make a point over the chattering of students. A wonderfully foreign accent fills the most dry and insipid sciences with explosive flavor. The same voice amuses me to no end as it orders her senior lab-aide about.

The cafeteria is an explosion of sounds and voices. The high-pitched frenzy of a pair of girls fighting, a hushed conversation between lovers, and the general exclamation of people over a poor choice of words can be heard in almost any lunch period. The waterfall of tones and pitches immerses me in a constant stream of sound. Even at my table, not two voices are alike; I will sit and listen, but not just to the words. I listen to the people behind them. It is not what you say, but how you say it that truly makes an impact.

Teachers and lunches aside, chorus is a class of wonders for me. I never can seem to wait for it to come, and when it does, time washes away. On a good day, with a song we enjoy, it is an amazing sound like no other. But oh, on a bad day, all I want to do is bang my head on the piano's ivory keys in frustration at the lack of music we sing. Everything from a heart-wrenching love ballad to a swing version of Santa songs resides in our folders, all with their own feelings that cannot be expressed in mere words and notes. Our voices bring their melodies to life.

Music is so much more than rhythms and pitches. Class is so much more than notes and lectures. Even the simplest conversation is more than a collection of words and meanings.

I hear voices.

Do you?

rheame said...
rheame, Anand, Other

turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

fabulous !! you've really got a completely different point of view! absolutely lovely!!

simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
congradulations on getting in the magazine! I'm from near seneca, too so it's awesome someone near home accomplished this

houston SILVER said...
houston SILVER, Joburg, Other

I don't know about life, there is too much to it...

fantastic!

PandaBearLouise16 BRONZE, Lyndonville, Vermont

LOUD NOISES!
I love lamp.....
IM KICKIN MY @$$ DOYA MIND???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like this one!!! this is a 5 star for this one!!!!!!!!!

LimahMarie BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I love this! I feel this way everyday and now i have founded people i can really relate to <3 :)

iluvliliesandmusic, Tampa, Florida

I have so many favorite quotes...

this is exatly how i feel every single day. i totally love thisa rticle. u and i are practically on the same page. i mean i could have written this, right out of my diary, i was as good as a writer as you are.

bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

Quite beautiful. Thank you.

kksexi12 said...

I totally agrre with you!! Whenever I hesar a teacher talkiing or when my friends talk, I hear a rythym. When I hear the rythym I make a song. It helps me because I write songs and this gives me new ideas.

I love to write songs and I love that you wrote this and published this BriarRose!!!!!! keep writingYou are great at it and you could make a carrer out of this!!!!! just have hope!!

loulou200 said...
on Sep. 6 2011 at 8:21 am
I like it! I like ur style! Keep writing.

limeturquoise825 SILVER, Folsom, California

"History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illumines reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life and brings us tidings of antiquity."
Cicero--Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)

Your piece was amazing! I hope that I will one day be able to write this well.

ibadancer13 BRONZE, Urbandale, Iowa
Wow that was amazing! I love how you took the topic and made it into something that anyone can understand.  You're word choice was really incredible too:)

Anonymous said...
This is amazing. So true...

Cammie45874 SILVER, Ohio City, Ohio
This piece is amazing its one of the most relatable things i've ever read

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Oh, I can relate! I love to listen to people talking, it comforts me.

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

Don't apologize, it's great knowing that other people go beyond listening to truly hear.  It's what real writers do. 

T.R.Trevino BRONZE, San Diego, California

'I cannot, nor will, recant anything, for it is neither safe nor wise to go against conscience.' -Martin Luther

I have experience this many times. Like in music class, we're learning jazz. The other kids don't reallly care of what the teacher is saying, but I find it fascinating-his tone, his sentence structure, the speed at which he says some things, the speed at which he says another.

And it's like I take all that I hear, an put it into what I read and write.

What I put on the paper is my composition, and what I hear each day is the music.

Uh, sorry for the rant...

Daydreamish said...
WOW! This is so cool, I can picture everything in my head. You have inspired me to pay attention to the world more closely. Earth needs more people who can listen, not hear, and not look but see. Thank you for writing this :)

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

thanks =]

BriarRose

WriterFighter PLATINUM, Wilsonville, Other

*Women and men are very different, but not when it comes down to their heart

This is a very interresting piece.

I love your choice of words in this article. It is very mature and found to be mysterious and a dark delifulness about it. I would love to hear voices. Maybe it does only take a little bit of listening

My writting cause from this part of my soul in which I can't explain. The same kind of theme, I'd love for you to check it out! And I understand from where you are coming from, the world is an explosive soundwave. Sometimes I swear I can see glimpses of the past history of were I stand or thought, but then I think to myself, I must be just crazy? Or I must be making this up by myself. Now the question is, was I? I think if you would read some of my articles you might get a hidden message connecting to that point right there.

Very good,

Keep on listening.

WriterFighter

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

Hey, thanks

to insanity and beyond

-BriarRose