A Sailing Judge | Teen Ink

A Sailing Judge

January 25, 2022
By GabrielTheAuthor BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
GabrielTheAuthor BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Constant vigilance!"


Have you ever had a challenge that people told you not to do but you did it anyway? Well, that's what happened to Abby, but she had to face a bunch of heat for it. Abby Sunderland was a sixteen year old as of 2010. She tried to go on a solo sail across the world at only 16, a year younger than her brother when sailed across the world who (Zach) became the youngest in the world to do this. Nevertheless, Abby tried to sail it but failed and had to send out an emergency beacon. The media has recently portrayed Abby as a foolish, unthinking child, who was egged on by her parents to continue a  dangerous dream.

Firstly, Abby's parents were being shown to the public on multiple articles that they were being irresponsible, but they just kept on stating that it was the right choice to make. One article called Ship Of Fools, on page 24, paragraph 10, one of the authors said: When I thought of a 16 year old bobbing around in the ocean, I didn't feel inspired. I felt sad. And when I thought about her parents, I felt furious.” This shows that people on the media are incandescent about how irresponsible they were when they let their 16 year old in the sea, confident only because their 17 year old did it. The only defense coming from the family was when they were comparing sailing to driving. They say this in the article called  Parents of Teenage Sailor Accused of Risking Her Life, on page 22, they showed the arguments of the family where the dad said: “I never questioned my decision in letting her go. In this day and age, we get overprotective with our children,” Laurence Sunderland said. "Look at how many teenagers die in cars each year. Should we still let them drive? I think it would be silly if we didn't.” This is proof that they don't know what they're talking about. Firstly, they had sent her off with a racing yacht, which is not designed for sailing the ocean, but meant for leisures or races. That is like sending someone to a Nascar race with a really nice Mercedes Benz. They are not shown only this way but also shown as arrogant.

Moreover, Abby and her parents were very confident that what they were doing was right, with much much support from their fans, meanwhile the rest of the media has thought that it was just a marketing campaign after getting the fans to help pay for them. Abby's father had disclosed that he was making a tv show called Adventures in Sunderland. This was announced in the article called Ship of Fools, page 25, paragraph 50, they said: “Abby's father also disclosed that he is making a reality tv show called Adventures in Sunderland, (what good fortune this family has, to have a name that leads itself to puns,)” Not only were they saying that, but then Abby announced that she was making a book. This not only confirmed what they thought, but proved that it wasn't just her parents leeching off the wreck but so was Abby. “From onboard the French vessel, she declared, quelle surprise, that she was writing a book.” This proves that she and her family are making a profit off of this disaster. Next, they were portrayed as Impetuous.

Additionally, it was a poor lack of judgment considering they sent her at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong equipment and the lack of sincerity towards the rescue workers and their daughter. One quote from the article Ship of Fools, page 24, paragraph 30, they say: "So this is the definition of bravery now? Embarking on an unnecessary risk that jeopardizes the lives of rescue workers? When I thought of a 16 year old bobbing around in the ocean, I didn't feel inspired. I felt sad. And when I thought about the parents, I felt furious.” this shows that they were not thinking about the possibilities for their daughter and the rescue workers, which made many people on the media incandescent. Alongside that, In the article Parents Of Teenage Sailor Accused Of Risking Her Life, on page 21, they say: ”It shouldn't be for a 16 year old to decide, whether or not they're capable of doing it. It's potentially irresponsible for the parents.” The parents also showed no remorse or regret towards their daughter for letting her potentially die, Once they heard that she was safe of course.

Overall, the family was portrayed as imprudent, injudicious, and precipitous. So, the media portrayed Abby and her family in a negative light by saying how irresponsible it was to let Abby go. Abby's parents were being irresponsible, unthinking and careless about their daughter and everyone around them. They have been exploiting it for its money. They sent her with the wrong equipment at the wrong time at the wrong place. So, what do you think about Abby's situation?