Strong | Teen Ink

Strong

August 10, 2012
By Kiseki GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Kiseki GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts
10 articles 7 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

The Eleventh Doctor, Vincent and the Doctor, Doctor Who


Confidence, arrogance.
Determination, domination.

We admire one, but look down on the other.
Such hypocrisy, when there is such a fine line between the two?


Everyone wants to come out on top. Wants to be the one who has all the glory, no one is ever truly satisfied with coming in even a little behind. In school, one wants to be the best student in the class. In sports, they want to win. At home, you want to win over your parents’ favor.

Want, want, want.

We sneer and stare disapprovingly at those who have the want and fail, but we cheer on those who have the want and dominate. If you’re full of greed and vanity, but achieve your dreams, we will support you. If you’re filled with greed and vanity but do not come out on top, we will shun you, call you terrible, tell you to leave our sights.

But there are always those who want, but are not victorious-and that is because they are not filled with the same overwhelming greed that the victors have. We cheer on those who will fight and dominate and win, but the second they fall? They hold no meaning, they are scoundrels even, and we want them out of our sight immediately.

Fight for the strong. Demolish the weak.

And when they are strong no longer, assist the next “strong” to take them down.

Our support is shallow, and will move whenever the wind slightly changes.

Where will the wind blow us next?

South?

North?

Or to new heights of hypocrisy?

No, this is humanity.

This is how it always was, and how it will always be. No more, no less.

For all we say about change, nothing does, can’t you see?

Oh? You say you’re not like them?

Think again.

Just by saying “them” you have revealed your true nature.


The author's comments:
This is humanity. Can you ever change it? No, you can't, no one ever can.