Gender Inequalities | Teen Ink

Gender Inequalities

By Khusbu Shah BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Khusbu Shah BRONZE, Plano, Texas

Martin Luther King Jr. once said “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” Justice is a term that refers to the equality of the rights of people of all ages, genders, and races. 1 in 3 girls in the developing world marry by the age of 18, and 1 in 9 marry before they reach the age of 15. Girls child marriage along with abuse and violence towards women are two of many examples that portray the injustice that takes places as a result of gender inequality.

Gender Inequality has been an issue for ages that causes women to have a disadvantage when it comes to men in many occasions. All over the globe, violence and discrimination against women and girls violates their human rights and severely compromises young girl’s futures and their hope for education. Based on history, gender inequality has been an issue for many decades, and things have improved, yet equality is not balanced and action must be taken to change that. As stated in the world news, “Gender inequality has continued in america and women have recently began to give speeches to make a change.”  Injustice has been and still remains to be portrayed through gender inequality primarily due to the fact that not enough women have taken initiative and are determined enough to make a change.

Some say that gender inequality is essential for men and women to be differentiated, but in reality the only differentiation that is and should be present between the genders are whether they are male or female. One Harvard student writes, “Women shoulder a heavier burden of family work than men in modern society, preventing them from matching male success in the external labor market. At least hypothetically, limiting working hours is a plausible way to level the playing field by creating the possibility of less gendered roles for both sexes.” Why should women be treated with less power when they are the potential light at the end of the tunnel? People believe that gender inequality is important to mankind, but in most instances, “people”, refer to the men who appreciate this gender inequality because they have more power.  

Child Marriage and violence towards women are two of the many horrendous situations that take place due to gender inequality. “Because I am a Girl”, is a charitable organization for young girls who live in a society where child marriage is important, and aims to support millions of girls to get the education, skills and support the need to transform their lives and the world around them. Child marriage is a tradition in some countries and is the cause for lack of a future for many young girls. It is unjust for young girls to have to marry men ten+ years older than them. Child marriage also is the primary cause for many young girls to not be offered their primary education. In Malala Africa, girls are married by the age of 15 and some are sexually assaulted after marriage while they are still maturing, causing them to be incapable of having a child, also leading to men divorcing them. Child marriage is unjust and not okay, and something must be done to make a change. Along with Child Marriage, violence against women (rape) has increased over the years, and according to the CNN news,  36% of women's deaths related to violence have been due to rape in the past six years. Violence against women is unjust and results in a woman's life being destroyed. Men don't have any rights over women and shouldn't have even the thought of doing something so horrible.

Hence, Girls Child Marriage along with Abuse and violence towards women are two of many examples that portray the injustice that takes places through the cause of gender inequality. Injustice has been present towards women and it is time that we take initiative and change peoples opinions on women and give women more potential by starting campaigns along with standing up for ourselves to represent what’s right.