The Current High School Curriculum | Teen Ink

The Current High School Curriculum

November 12, 2015
By CassieToups16 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
CassieToups16 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

High school students should learn more about the real world. The high school curriculum correlates to states standards. The subjects that are covered throughout high school are language arts, math, social studies and science, plus two electives. What are bills? How do I attend a job interview? How do I buy a house? Many high school students ask these questions but they do not have the right guidance or answers. It is time that the current high school students learn about what is beyond Math, Science and Arts.


The United States, high school curriculum does not focus on they key concepts of paying bills, buying a house, or keeping good credit, the curriculum has nothing to do with becoming an adult. Most high school students focus more on scoring high on standardized state tests, and finals. Teachers try to cram as much as they can into these students that they never have time to sit down and learn about the important concepts of becoming a mature and well-developed adult. Believe it or not, more than 50% of high graduates do not know how to set up a bank account, and manage money.

Many people might say, “Well that’s what parents are for” or “get a job while you’re in high school and you’ll learn” while these are valid statements, some people may not have parents who care, or they may be deceased. Getting a job while in high school is a terrific way to learn about the real world and how to manage money, but it does not teach some other concepts like once a job hires and begins to pay, what to do with the money?

Yes, high school students learn plenty through 9th and 12th grade; however, they are not learning what every graduate struggles with. Jobs, banks, and colleges expect newly graduated students to automatically know how to write a check or fill out paper work it takes more than just throwing it in the faces of students and telling them to do it. It takes a teacher to teach students how to do it, and allowing them to fail at it so that they can fix their mistakes. In the real world, there isn’t that much room to fail because odds are if the application isn’t filled out correctly or the interview doesn’t go as planned, the job will not hire. There are a million concepts of adulthood that teens (15-19) should learn in order to make it successfully in life. Maybe an extra class, or take out a class to squeeze in a class for adulthood. A class that teaches the concepts of how to pay bills, manage money, and prepare for a career.

High school defiantly prepares students for college, but what do we do after we finish college?