Wisconsin: The Summer State | Teen Ink

Wisconsin: The Summer State

By georgefredman BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
georgefredman BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

When most out-of-staters think of Wisconsin, I would bet a good amount of money they think of fields, cheese, and really cold winters. 

It’s more than that, though. 

To me, Wisconsin is best described by the word summer. This is because most of the characteristics that people associate with summer, I associate with Wisconsin all year round. 

Let’s begin.

Summer is a time where there is no pressure of school, homework, finals, deadlines, anything like that (for kids, at least. Adults; you never seem to catch a break. Sorry). A time to unwind, go out on the boat, and just enjoy yourself and the people around you.

I think Wisconsin is similar to that because of the pure enjoyment and joy I see around the state at all times. This state really brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “Midwest Nice.” 

Whether you’re playing cornhole at the Biergarten in the summer, attending a concert at Summerfest in Milwaukee, under the Friday Night Lights for a high school football game, or skiing in the coldest cold you’ve ever felt, I can guarantee that if you see someone who isn’t smiling and having a blast, they’re either a loser or from Illinois (ew).  

Wisconsin is also a place where people know the work require and sacrifices needed to be successful, not just financially, but in life overall. Sure, it would be awesome to go wakesurfing and skiing every day of the year without a care in the world. However, even the downsides of life in Wisconsin don’t seem that bad because you’re always around people who, more often than not, enjoy the same things as you and get along with you very well. 

Overall, Wisconsin is just an enjoyable place to be (especially in the summer) with something for everyone and people who are second to none when it comes to geniality and generosity. A far superior state than its western and southern neighbors. 

Wisconsin has that feeling of a cool summer night on the pontoon with your cousins waiting for the fireworks to start as the sunset paints the sky a vibrant orange. A feeling of belonging. 

A feeling that you never want to end.

That’s Wisconsin. 

This was for my final exam in my composition class.